Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Recommend and HDMI Extender system

(1/3) > >>

Peter Kowalczyk:
Hi Folks,

Pro sound guy / novice AV guy here.  I'm bidding on a gig that includes video presentation.  I expect that i'll need to connect presenter's laptops to an HDMI input in the equipment rack some 75' away (allowing for tidy but temporary cable routing)

I see some inexpensive options that have a paired transmitter and receiver with a Cat5 connection between them, for example:
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Extender-Ethernet-Twin-Pack/dp/B00OZV04BK

... Are these appropriate for professional deployment?  Would you recommend something different?

Many thanks
Peter

Caleb Dueck:
Check out Atlona, Extron, Magenta Research, Hall Research, etc.

Get some great Cat6 STP cable, tactical, not cheap, for live work.  With spare in case you need to make more/longer quickly.

HDCP 2.2, HDR, 4K, whatever is most current.  You don't want CEO de jour to plug in his/her shiny new tech toy and you have to tell him/her, "Sorry I ruined your presentation, but I saved $100!"

Watch specs for max distance, test in shop first to confirm, it's better to have longer distance capability and not use it than vice versa. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Jordan Wolf:
I’d recommend Redmere HDMI cables and whatever adapter you need to make the connection.

Are you providing the laptop and/or switcher?

Peter Kowalczyk:
Thanks fellas,

I'm not providing the laptop, but I do intend to ensure that my personal macbook is rock solid and available as a backup.  The event is a series of Athlete slideshow / talks; I anticipate a bit less Ego and Pomp than a typical corporate presentations.  Still, reliability is critical.

There IS a VGA input at the lectern; for whatever reason they didn't install HDMI there.  I'll plan to have VGA adaptors available as a last resort, but would prefer HDMI.

Would you anticipate any significant performance / reliability difference between a Cat5 extender system and a 100' active Redmere cable?

Erik Jerde:
Pick up a couple Decimator MD-HX units and connect via SDI.  It's reliable, locking connectors for the long run, and very pro.  With a second cable run you can feed a DSM as well from the same equipment.  Built in Down/Up/Cross on both ends to help with resolution issues.  Decimators (in my experience) strip off HDCP which cleans things up for you.  Being SDI based also sets you up to use the gear for big-boy video work too should that ever come into your future.

Oh yeah, 100M cable length max.  Much better, easier, more reliable, and less finicky than trying to run a HDMI cable 75'.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version