ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting audio wirelessly. 500ft.  (Read 14682 times)

Dave Guilford

Getting audio wirelessly. 500ft.
« on: October 17, 2018, 05:19:37 PM »

Every year I do a “Beatles rooftop” gig where we close off the street and put a Beatles tribute act on the roof of a 3-story building.  across the street is a public/private space which has several zones of speakers throughout the area. They do 50 events a year there an I’m their sound man for all of those. Getting audio into those speakers is easy, there’s an XLR port hidden that I usually tap in to. 

For these Beatles rooftop events, I bring a rig capable of covering the street between the 2 spaces comfortably. About 100ft and it works.  Beyond that... Ug.

So I want to be able to get audio from my ui24 mixer on the roof, across the street and into the public/private event space so I can supplement thru their installed speakers. 

Running wire is not an option.  For a few reasons.  Anyone have a good way to transmit audio 500ft or more?  What if I say it has to be reliably and with good quality?

WiFi and Bluetooth too far.  FM (what we tried this past year) sounds bad / too weak.

Robert Healey

Re: Getting audio wirelessly. 500ft.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 05:57:18 PM »

Every year I do a “Beatles rooftop” gig where we close off the street and put a Beatles tribute act on the roof of a 3-story building.  across the street is a public/private space which has several zones of speakers throughout the area. They do 50 events a year there an I’m their sound man for all of those. Getting audio into those speakers is easy, there’s an XLR port hidden that I usually tap in to. 

For these Beatles rooftop events, I bring a rig capable of covering the street between the 2 spaces comfortably. About 100ft and it works.  Beyond that... Ug.

So I want to be able to get audio from my ui24 mixer on the roof, across the street and into the public/private event space so I can supplement thru their installed speakers. 

Running wire is not an option.  For a few reasons.  Anyone have a good way to transmit audio 500ft or more?  What if I say it has to be reliably and with good quality?

WiFi and Bluetooth too far.  FM (what we tried this past year) sounds bad / too weak.

Not cheap:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xirium-pro/xirium-pro-us

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »

UHF-based IEM system with a paddle antenna on the transmitter should cover that distance no problem. We do football games with PSM900 set to "point to point" mode in the press box and UHF-R receiver down where the speakers are, and that's probably 500-600 feet.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 06:24:26 PM »

UHF-based IEM system with a paddle antenna on the transmitter should cover that distance no problem. We do football games with PSM900 set to "point to point" mode in the press box and UHF-R receiver down where the speakers are, and that's probably 500-600 feet.

This works well. I have always used a helical just to be sure, 600 feet is no problem at all.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 06:35:48 PM »

Just this past weekend I went double that distance using a Sennheiser IEM transmitter and wireless mic receiver with paddle antennas at both ends.

Josh Hana

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 06:58:29 PM »

This works well. I have always used a helical just to be sure, 600 feet is no problem at all.
Second this. Only used it twice but it's been rock solid. If you're in a major market, you should be able to rent it.

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 07:36:28 PM »

We own this. It is hands down the easiest set up and highest quality wireless you can buy... that I am aware of.

Not cheap:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xirium-pro/xirium-pro-us
Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:07:50 AM »

I don't think you gain anything by using helical antennas.  Unless either end is mobile you control the angle of the antennas on both ends, and can align them to the same polarization angle.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 01:02:52 PM »

I don't think you gain anything by using helical antennas.  Unless either end is mobile you control the angle of the antennas on both ends, and can align them to the same polarization angle.

Polarization mismatch loss is not the only factor to consider.  LPDA each have 5 to 6 dBi axial gain while helicals have 11 to 14 dBi.  Using helicals with matched circular "handedness" for both ends gains approx. 6 to 8 dB at each end, for a total of 12 to 16 dB gain over LPDA for the link.  This is an enormous amount, is achieved without active amplification, and greatly improves CNR in most scenarios of this type.

Brian Hancock

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »

always wanted a reason to use this bc the iem way works 99% of cases but http://whirlwindusa.com/catalog/digital-audio-networking/e-beam-laser/ebeam

freaking laser beams

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:15 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 22 queries.