ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weak signal for TV's in church foyer  (Read 3192 times)

Barry Dunlap

Weak signal for TV's in church foyer
« on: October 17, 2018, 09:56:41 AM »

I have posted this in various places so if you have seen this elsewhere I apologize but I'm stuck and need some help.

I have a Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
Processor 2x3.06 GHz 6-Core Intel
Memory. 64 GB. DDr3
Graphics. ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

We use this system at the church and run an overhead projector and three TV monitors from it. The overhead picture is perfect and operates flawless. However the three TV's are another story. Two of the TV's are in the foyer about 15 feet from the computer and the other is on the back wall of the sanctuary about 15 ft from the computer. Some days the two in the foyer are clear as a bell and on other days they are so jumpy and blurry we have to turn them off. The one on the back wall will seldom work. When it does it is in black and white and never color. It usually says on a few minutes and then begins floating a warning that there is no signal.

How can I boost the signal to these three TV monitors? They are all three being connected with coax TV cable. I now of churches that run multiple TV monitors throughout the building and don't seem to have a problem. What am I doing wrong? Or what do I need to do to make the connections more usable?

Thanks for your help!!

Cailen Waddell

Re: Weak signal for TV's in church foyer
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:22:49 AM »

Describe the signal chain from the computer all the way to each monitor.  That will help.  There is a multitude of things that could be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barry Dunlap

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 03:08:37 PM »

From the computer video card it goes into a multiplexer.  From there a VGA signal is sent to the overhead projector and a RCA plug goes to converter to coax that then enters a splitter.  One coax goes to the tv on the back wall and the other coax goes to a tv in the foyer which then comes out to feed the other tv.  They are mounted from the ceiling and are back to back.

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »

What inputs are available on the TV's ? Is the projector VGA only?

Barry Dunlap

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:27:58 PM »

The TV inputs are either coax or RCA.  The are too old for HDMI connections.  The projector is VGA.  I think it has HDMI also but that would necessitate running a HDMI cable about 100' or more so I would rather not do that if I don't have to.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »

The TV inputs are either coax or RCA.  The are too old for HDMI connections.  The projector is VGA.  I think it has HDMI also but that would necessitate running a HDMI cable about 100' or more so I would rather not do that if I don't have to.

So it’s difficult to know if the coax is RF or composite video from the descriptions.  Could you be more specific about the exact equipment converting the signals and distributing it?

I’m guessing there is a bad splitter or passive splitter that should be active... or an rf splitter that shouldn’t be because it is composite over coax not RF...   lots of possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2018, 08:54:51 AM »

This above from Mr. Waddell. It looks like you come out of the Radeon with VGA. It could be what you call the "multiplexer"(have a brand and model?) but considering the VGA to the projector always looks ok I would look at the splitter(have a brand and model), the RF connections, and the cabling going to the TVs.

Also, what resolution are you outputting from the Mac? It maybe to much for the old composite side of the system.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »

Using the coax that's already in place, you could get an old Channel Plus/Channel Vision modulator (use a reputable brand) for next to nothing off of ebay and just create a channel for the send.  It is not HD and there are better ways to do this, but even an old modulator should easily have enough signal strength to push three TVs and would not require any additional wire to be pulled.  The composite/baseband video, that is allegedly being used now, would be better.  But the run out to the one monitor and then passively split to the other monitor right next to it, would not work well.  In my experience, most video does not like to be passively split.  Another line directly to the second monitor, would make a proper video distribution amp a better solution.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 05:49:16 AM by Lee Douglas »
This space for rent

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 10:38:30 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.