ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: So a man walks into a convenience store....  (Read 7580 times)

Tom Provenza

So a man walks into a convenience store....
« on: October 16, 2018, 05:23:37 PM »

Stopped by my local gas station/convenience store today to grab a fountain soda.  when I get to the counter, one of the kids working there asks me what QSC audio is (I'm wearing a T-Shirt). I explain they make professional audio equipment such as amplifiers and speakers. He then proceeds to say that he is asking because he is an audio engineer, and graduated from Sheffield Institute. At this point I am still giving him the benefit of the doubt, and ask what area of audio is he into? Recording?  He says yea, recording, live sound, acoustic treatment..etc.   He hands me a business card and I'm on my way. I am still thinking he must be into recording and since the T-Shirt is probably almost as old as he is (Old Script Logo) it is not unreasonable for him to not recognize the brand. Later I look at his card and it basically has his name and "Audio Engineer, Live Sound reinforcement".  Just having a hard time that anybody calling themselves a live sound engineer would not recognize the QSC name. It's not like it is a boutique brand. But he is working at a convenience store with some sort of piece of paper from Sheffield..

And in other news...I just made junior member after being registered and a casual poster for over 14 years.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 05:25:57 PM by Tom Provenza »
------------------

Tom Provenza

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: So a man walks into a convenience store....
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »

But he is working at a convenience store with some sort of piece of paper from Sheffield..

And in other news...I just made junior member after being registered and a casual poster for over 14 years.

Congrats? :)

I feel it is less of a failure of the student and more of the teacher. The institution should be banned from taking any more money from suckers.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 05:46:38 PM »

Maybe he's only worked with top of the line gear like Meyer, L'Acoustics etc.
:)

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 06:28:56 PM »

I feel it is less of a failure of the student and more of the teacher. The institution should be banned from taking any more money from suckers.
Nathan,

Hadn't heard Quilter retired from QSC in 2011, probably a long time before the kid in the convenience store realized his Sheffield Institute graduation was not going to assure him an entry into the Recording Arts.

Never heard of The Sheffield Institute for the Recording Arts before today, though they started about the same time as QSC, 1968. I do remember the crappy amps I bought from Quilter Sound Company in 1979...

Calling a student a "sucker", or a teacher a failure, for not making QSC a memorable part of a recording/video curriculum seems a little harsh ;^).

Art

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 06:44:16 PM »

Nathan,

Hadn't heard Quilter retired from QSC in 2011, probably a long time before the kid in the convenience store realized his Sheffield Institute graduation was not going to assure him an entry into the Recording Arts.

Never heard of The Sheffield Institute for the Recording Arts before today, though they started about the same time as QSC, 1968. I do remember the crappy amps I bought from Quilter Sound Company in 1979...

Calling a student a "sucker", or a teacher a failure, for not making QSC a memorable part of a recording/video curriculum seems a little harsh ;^).

Art

Perhaps, perhaps not. I stand by what I said given the 'live sound' portion of the kid's speech.  ;)

I will say I think it's funny that my antivirus program blocked their webpage the first time I tried to go to it :P
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:48:55 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 09:04:53 PM »

So two riggers walked into a bar... you'd think the second one would have noticed!

I'll be here all week, folks!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:34:07 AM »

So two riggers walked into a bar... you'd think the second one would have noticed!

I'll be here all week, folks!
A Lampie walked into a bar. The A-1 ducked.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 03:55:42 AM »

String walked into a bar looking for Uhfrade Knot

Mark Oakley

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 10:29:09 PM »

String walked into a bar looking for Uhfrade Knot

Do you mean afraid knot?

-Mrk
Oakley Audio

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 12:23:01 AM »

...when I get to the counter, one of the kids working there asks me what QSC audio is...

Having interviewed a few people for a position in my company doing general IT work, it's amazing how many “educated and experienced” people are confused by subnet masks other than 255.255.255.0. And the ones who do understand are confused by supernet routing.

Meanwhile, I've learned how to calculate subnets in my head.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 12:23:01 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.