ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX Control for Chauvet Intimidator Spot 150  (Read 3930 times)

Stan Adams

DMX Control for Chauvet Intimidator Spot 150
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:01:09 PM »

I am in my 3rd year as a mobile DJ, having a blast! I picked up 2 Chauvet Intimidator Spot 150 lights from Guitar Center. They were not my first choice for moving head spots, but they were half off floor samples and I was itching to have something like this. I have used them simply set to sound active and that has worked pretty well for my gigs. I now have an ADJ DMX controller that I have been experimenting with. Here is the issue. With my other lights (ADJ Stinger II, PAR cans, etc) I have a DMX setting that simply activates the sound activation feature of the light. These Chauvets do not seem to have that setting. I would like to have them sound activated most of the time, using scenes and chases selectively. Am I missing something here? is there a recommended way to build a scene that imitates sound active?
Thanks!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: DMX Control for Chauvet Intimidator Spot 150
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 07:12:30 PM »

Looking at the 155 manual online suggests in 11 channel mode that channel 11 has 8 auto movement programs and 8 sound activated programs.
You set the fader for fixture channel 11 to the value for the program you want.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 12:11:31 PM »

Is there a recommended way to build a scene that imitates sound active?

Hi Stan, by imitating sound active mode, what specifically do you mean?  The programs tied to sound active modes can mean a lot of different things!  My old school halogen effect lights only "guess" when to change direction or stop the movement of the beams.  My ADJ Ninjas will throttle their effects to an extent, and my Elation Sniper Pros are DMX exclusive with no macros, auto, or sound active mode - much like most moving lights and how yours seem to be. 

I usually go the other way around and hope that the sound active mode can somewhat replicate the control authority that a dedicated operator would have.  Maybe build a few movement chases and layer on top your beam effects (color, gobo, etc.)?  As a disclaimer there are some controllers that have a true sound active mode as well, but as mentioned I've never preferred the results of that over what a competent operator can do.  Good luck!

Steve Garris

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 12:36:47 PM »

I am in my 3rd year as a mobile DJ, having a blast! I picked up 2 Chauvet Intimidator Spot 150 lights from Guitar Center. They were not my first choice for moving head spots, but they were half off floor samples and I was itching to have something like this. I have used them simply set to sound active and that has worked pretty well for my gigs. I now have an ADJ DMX controller that I have been experimenting with. Here is the issue. With my other lights (ADJ Stinger II, PAR cans, etc) I have a DMX setting that simply activates the sound activation feature of the light. These Chauvets do not seem to have that setting. I would like to have them sound activated most of the time, using scenes and chases selectively. Am I missing something here? is there a recommended way to build a scene that imitates sound active?
Thanks!

Which ADJ controller do you have?

Stan Adams

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »

Thanks Dave. In actuality what that does is yoke movement only. That may be a start to building a scene, though.

Stan Adams

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:33:50 PM »

Jeff, I want a "set it and forget it" setting. On my ADJ Stinger II, for instance, there is a a DMX setting for "Sound Active", so I can choose that setting on my controller and the lights are sound activated. I would consider this a normal or default position until I am ready for a specific scene. Does that make sense?

Stan Adams

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 05:35:23 PM »

ADJ DMX-Operator 192 channel.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 09:41:41 PM »

Thanks Dave. In actuality what that does is yoke movement only. That may be a start to building a scene, though.

You might need to open another fader to get the lights to dance.  Try channel 8.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 03:54:47 PM »

Use this along with making sure shutter is open and fade is at 100%
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

Stan Adams

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:30:21 PM »

Thanks Everyone!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 07:30:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 25 queries.