ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure PSM900 L6  (Read 1746 times)

Allen Smith

Shure PSM900 L6
« on: October 15, 2018, 10:33:05 PM »

We live in interesting times...I think that is generally considered a curse.  The blessing is that there is tons of great gear, the curse is the wireless spectrum chaos.

I purchased a pair of shure 846 iem buds and used them for the first time this weekend.  Friday was a tiny stage that has forever made my ears bleed.  Saturday was a giant concrete box with the worst decay times I have ever played and while we love the crowds there, sonically it is a disaster.

I am in a band that in a single weekend was sold on iem going forward.  My challenge as a bass player is to be wireless.  I have spent a significant amount of time researching the spectrum issues and still have some uncertainty.  There  are used psm900 units available used in the L6 band.  I show this spectrum discontinued by Shure and I have to assume it is because of spectrum issues.  However, the shure website still shows it as available for use and even recommended for my area (68845).  I am in a pretty rural area in the middle of Nebraska.

Is there something I am missing and/or an imminent lack of legality in using the L6 spectrum.   

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Shure PSM900 L6
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 12:35:12 AM »

We live in interesting times...I think that is generally considered a curse.  The blessing is that there is tons of great gear, the curse is the wireless spectrum chaos.

I purchased a pair of shure 846 iem buds and used them for the first time this weekend.  Friday was a tiny stage that has forever made my ears bleed.  Saturday was a giant concrete box with the worst decay times I have ever played and while we love the crowds there, sonically it is a disaster.

I am in a band that in a single weekend was sold on iem going forward.  My challenge as a bass player is to be wireless.  I have spent a significant amount of time researching the spectrum issues and still have some uncertainty.  There  are used psm900 units available used in the L6 band.  I show this spectrum discontinued by Shure and I have to assume it is because of spectrum issues.  However, the shure website still shows it as available for use and even recommended for my area (68845).  I am in a pretty rural area in the middle of Nebraska.

Is there something I am missing and/or an imminent lack of legality in using the L6 spectrum.
Allen,

L6 (pictured) is definitely in the soon-to-be-illegal 600MHz spectrum. Even if there's not any current usage in your area by the now-legally-licensed users, they can start up at any time. Once we reach July, 2020, it will be illegal to use that system as it will lose its type acceptance from the FCC. Even if there's no licensed user in the spectrum, it will still be illegal. Starting this month (IIRC) it is no longer permitted for manufacturers to offer for sale (or for dealers to have available for sale) any wireless system operating from 614MHz to 696MHz.

There's a reason that you will find lots of those used systems available for sale...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Allen Smith

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 12:18:57 AM »

Allen,

L6 (pictured) is definitely in the soon-to-be-illegal 600MHz spectrum. Even if there's not any current usage in your area by the now-legally-licensed users, they can start up at any time. Once we reach July, 2020, it will be illegal to use that system as it will lose its type acceptance from the FCC. Even if there's no licensed user in the spectrum, it will still be illegal. Starting this month (IIRC) it is no longer permitted for manufacturers to offer for sale (or for dealers to have available for sale) any wireless system operating from 614MHz to 696MHz.

There's a reason that you will find lots of those used systems available for sale...

-Ray

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I am looking a different direction.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:33:32 AM by Mac Kerr »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 12:18:57 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.