ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested WiFi routers  (Read 11598 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Suggested WiFi routers
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2019, 12:25:38 PM »

Well, I thought I had it. Anyway, here is what is going on...

I received my Ubiquiti Unifi AC Mesh (UAP-AC-M) today. I set the app up on my iPad and tried to set up the AP for my Qu-16. I can connect for all of 30 seconds and the AP drops from my wifi list. If I'm not mistaken, I thought I could just use this AP (NO ROUTER NEEDED) for mixing wirelessly, but I can't even connect for more than a minute.

Please be gentle, but how do I set a static IP between my Qu-16 and my iPad through the AP? Its late at night here where I'm at and I'm getting a little frustrated....

You've discovered one of the (mercifully few) anti-features of the UniFi gear. By default, all UniFi APs have a "connectivity monitor" enabled that looks for a valid gateway, and shuts off the Wi-Fi side of the AP if it doesn't find it. Disabling this is a simple checkbox in the desktop software (not sure about the iPad app) but until this "feature" is disabled Wi-Fi isn't going to work.

(No, I've never been burned by this before, what would make you think that? ...) :)

-Russ

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2019, 03:07:06 PM »

Specifically, check the Uplink Connectivity Monitor on the Site tab of Unifi Controller

You've discovered one of the (mercifully few) anti-features of the UniFi gear. By default, all UniFi APs have a "connectivity monitor" enabled that looks for a valid gateway, and shuts off the Wi-Fi side of the AP if it doesn't find it. Disabling this is a simple checkbox in the desktop software (not sure about the iPad app) but until this "feature" is disabled Wi-Fi isn't going to work.

(No, I've never been burned by this before, what would make you think that? ...) :)

-Russ
Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2019, 05:34:16 PM »

I am big fan of the Apple Airport Express to hand out IP addresses and the Ubiquiti Mesh Pro for an AP.  We have used this setup for 2 years without fail.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

James Paul

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2019, 03:43:21 AM »

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

add a 24vdc power supply to power the router & for POE of the AP

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2019, 02:49:49 PM »

https://www.ui.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/

add a 24vdc power supply to power the router & for POE of the AP

That is pretty much what I have at home.

Jesse doesn't need the Edge Router as he's not sending traffic between multiple networks.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Dawson

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2019, 05:34:16 AM »

I’m fortunate enough to have been a networking nerd before dhcp.     If you are creating a network without dhcp you’ll need to set an ip on each device.      Have a hunt on YouTube, once you get your head around the basics you’ll be better off setting up tricky situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesse Gregorio

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2019, 02:07:11 AM »

So this is the deal:

I tried setting up the Unifi AC Mesh as a standalone AP for my Qu-16. I was led to believe that I could set it up with a router but that the router was not needed for the AP/operating aspect.  I can set up the two bands (SSID'S and passwords) through a router from the iPad app. But once I use it directly with the Qu-16 it drops out (due to the connectivity monitor as pointed out in an above post).

I tried downloading the software specific to the unit onto my computer and that went ok. After the download, when I try to open the program, I keep getting a 'bad certificate' error message. I cannot find a 'connectivity monitor' setting on the iPad app.

What am I missing/doing wrong? I took a break from setting it up for awhile due to frustration and other things popping up.

Can anybody help me/point me in the right direction? Google and Youtube didn't help as this is a specific application (AP for a digital mixer)..........

TIA....

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2019, 02:11:48 AM »

So this is the deal:

I tried setting up the Unifi AC Mesh as a standalone AP for my Qu-16. I was led to believe that I could set it up with a router but that the router was not needed for the AP/operating aspect.  I can set up the two bands (SSID'S and passwords) through a router from the iPad app. But once I use it directly with the Qu-16 it drops out (due to the connectivity monitor as pointed out in an above post).

I tried downloading the software specific to the unit onto my computer and that went ok. After the download, when I try to open the program, I keep getting a 'bad certificate' error message. I cannot find a 'connectivity monitor' setting on the iPad app.

What am I missing/doing wrong? I took a break from setting it up for awhile due to frustration and other things popping up.

Can anybody help me/point me in the right direction? Google and Youtube didn't help as this is a specific application (AP for a digital mixer)..........

TIA....
Did you set your IP's manually?

A digital mixer is no different than any other IP enabled app.

You are setting up a LAN that doesn't have a connection to the Internet.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jesse Gregorio

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2019, 02:42:13 AM »

Did you set your IP's manually?

A digital mixer is no different than any other IP enabled app.

- Yes, I tried/did. Due to the 'connectivity monitor' feature, it didn't connect.

You are setting up a LAN that doesn't have a connection to the Internet.

- From what I was led to believe:

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141876.0.html

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158019.0.html

Routers direct traffic when devices are not on the same network.  You do not need a router.

From what I’ve heard and my limited experience with Ubiquiti gear they are happiest with a dhcp server in the network thought its not absolutely requires. Many devices that include a router also include a dhcp server.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »

After the download, when I try to open the program, I keep getting a 'bad certificate' error message.

This is normal and expected. Do whatever you need to do in your browser to get past this error.

The UniFi configuration software spins up a small web server on your computer which (as you noticed) you access with your web browser. Your browser will attempt a secure connection, but UniFi is unable to provide a valid certificate (since you can't create a valid certificate for localhost). While I'd never suggest it under any other circumstances, in this instance you are expected to ignore the security warning and proceed into the UniFi software. (Incidentally, despite the warning, you're still effectively operating securely because you're only accessing your own computer, so it's nearly impossible for someone to evesdrop on you.)

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2019, 07:07:24 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.