ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested WiFi routers  (Read 3962 times)

Jesse Gregorio

Re: Suggested WiFi routers
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2019, 12:32:35 am »

This is normal and expected. Do whatever you need to do in your browser to get past this error.

The UniFi configuration software spins up a small web server on your computer which (as you noticed) you access with your web browser. Your browser will attempt a secure connection, but UniFi is unable to provide a valid certificate (since you can't create a valid certificate for localhost). While I'd never suggest it under any other circumstances, in this instance you are expected to ignore the security warning and proceed into the UniFi software. (Incidentally, despite the warning, you're still effectively operating securely because you're only accessing your own computer, so it's nearly impossible for someone to evesdrop on you.)

-Russ

Russ-

I attempted to try this again tonight. Not happening. How do I make the AP ‘visible’ on my laptop so I can configure it? I tried all sorts of connection combinations but it’s not showing. Is there another download that I need? Do I need to purchase another component. I was under the impression that I could set this up pretty directly.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 01:07:46 am »

I attempted to try this again tonight. Not happening. How do I make the AP ‘visible’ on my laptop so I can configure it? I tried all sorts of connection combinations but it’s not showing. Is there another download that I need? Do I need to purchase another component. I was under the impression that I could set this up pretty directly.

UniFi products were designed with IT professionals in mind. They are remarkably powerful for their price-point, but they are not what I would call "end-user friendly". Once configured properly they have a very good track-record in our industry, but they have basically no auto-configuration and (as you've discovered) what I consider to be some fairly insane defaults.

A show network with a UniFi AP and no DHCP server can work really well once it's been properly configured; I just hope no one suggested to you that setting this up would necessarily be easy...

That being said, I have two questions:

• What hardware setup were you using initially to configure the AP through the app?
  • What hardware setup are you trying to use to configure the AP from your laptop?

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2019, 01:07:46 am »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.