ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested WiFi routers  (Read 3955 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Suggested WiFi routers
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 07:40:16 pm »

I'm in the process of getting another wireless router to replace the current/outdated one that I have. While doing some research, I came across this in this thread:

What sparked my interest was this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY

I've been trying to find how to set up the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-US for use with my qu-16 with no success. How would I go about doing this? Do I still need a wireless router?

The reason why I ask about still needing a router is that on the Amazon page for this product, in the Q & A portion, someone asked if they still needed a router and the response was yes. I'm new to this concept of just a single AP for my mixer and by my logic, I would assume a router would not be necessary. Please correct me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction.

TIA.....

So, tell us how you set it up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jesse Gregorio

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 08:52:53 pm »

So, tell us how you set it up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What I meant was that there was no resource online on how to set it up with a digital mixer.

I have not purchased the Ubiquiti yet. If I can find out how to set it up without purchasing another router, then I'll buy it. If not, I'm basically just going to buy hopefully a router that any of you could recommend.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 11:06:19 pm »

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141876.0.html

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158019.0.html

Routers direct traffic when devices are not on the same network.  You do not need a router.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Philip Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
  • South West MI
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 12:05:01 am »

What I meant was that there was no resource online on how to set it up with a digital mixer.

I have not purchased the Ubiquiti yet. If I can find out how to set it up without purchasing another router, then I'll buy it. If not, I'm basically just going to buy hopefully a router that any of you could recommend.
From what Ive heard and my limited experience with Ubiquiti gear they are happiest with a dhcp server in the network thought its not absolutely requires. Many devices that include a router also include a dhcp server.

Jesse Gregorio

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2019, 01:31:09 am »

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,141876.0.html

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,158019.0.html

Routers direct traffic when devices are not on the same network.  You do not need a router.

Thanks Tim. That's what I needed to hear. Ubiquity ordered......

I'll let you guys know how the setup/operation goes when I receive it

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2019, 06:59:34 am »

I've been using EnGenius ENS500EXTs as WAPs with static IPs on the (QL1/5) console and iPads and they're very reliable, placed on top of a fully extended boom arm mic stand with a Sampson mic clip.

You can turn on a DHCP server in this stand alone access point were you cannot in many others. This is the AP I use at events of 50k plus with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2019, 12:34:23 pm »

You can turn on a DHCP server in this stand alone access point were you cannot in many others. This is the AP I use at events of 50k plus with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started struggling with the same lately with the companys routers so I went in the basement and blew some dust off a very old router I had lying which only has one antenna, which is detachable, and ordered a directive 9dBi (so it says at least) antenna which I can elevate (since I have about 1m low-loss cable going to it) and point towards the stage or wherever from FoH, or the other way around. In open field it got me 40% better coverage at least, and on the jobs I'm working with a much stronger signal than before.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2019, 08:34:56 am »

I always used a Linksys home-gamer unit buried in the rack. This gives you local access thats always on. Then I used a Ubiquity WAP for coverage.

This was a great option for me, because for small stuff, or maintainence you didn't have to set up the WAP, but if you were at a festival on a college campus in the middle of a downtown area, the ubiquity would be able to blast through all the noise and get you solid control.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jesse Gregorio

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 05:04:50 am »

Never mind....I got it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:09:35 am by Jesse Gregorio »

Jesse Gregorio

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 05:53:12 am »

Never mind....I got it.

Well, I thought I had it. Anyway, here is what is going on...

I received my Ubiquiti Unifi AC Mesh (UAP-AC-M) today. I set the app up on my iPad and tried to set up the AP for my Qu-16. I can connect for all of 30 seconds and the AP drops from my wifi list. If I'm not mistaken, I thought I could just use this AP (NO ROUTER NEEDED) for mixing wirelessly, but I can't even connect for more than a minute.

Please be gentle, but how do I set a static IP between my Qu-16 and my iPad through the AP? Its late at night here where I'm at and I'm getting a little frustrated....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 05:53:12 am »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.