ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggested WiFi routers  (Read 11606 times)

Guy Morris

Suggested WiFi routers
« on: October 15, 2018, 01:20:49 PM »

Hi
The time has come to upgrade my Wi Fi routers for use on the desks. I currently have Netgear and Linksys units but they are now 4 years old and coverage can be hit or miss at times (we all know how it drops just when you need it the other side of the room!) especially when it's conference, or all the social media fanatics uploading every selfie going!
2.4 or 5 or Dual which is regarded as best these days and what is regarded as the best available in 2018 for coverage and a reliable link for this purpose (specs change so quickly)
Thanks
Guy

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: Suggested WiFi routers
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 02:32:43 PM »

Hi
The time has come to upgrade my Wi Fi routers for use on the desks. I currently have Netgear and Linksys units but they are now 4 years old and coverage can be hit or miss at times (we all know how it drops just when you need it the other side of the room!) especially when it's conference, or all the social media fanatics uploading every selfie going!
2.4 or 5 or Dual which is regarded as best these days and what is regarded as the best available in 2018 for coverage and a reliable link for this purpose (specs change so quickly)
Thanks
Guy

I have been using Linksys routers with my QU-16 and 24 for the past four years and have had no problems with dropped signal while in a venue.
As far as losing signal I made a mounting system to affix the router I am using to the top of a mic stand.  I usually use a round base stand which will raise the router approximately 5'6" which is all that I have needed.
I can use a tripod/boom mic stand to get it "way up there" if need be.
I have had no problem what-so-ever with signal in venues.
I will try to upload a picture.

Ade Stuart

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 05:47:25 PM »

Hi
Thanks
Guy

Ruckus access points are hard to beat, especially in congested WiFi areas. I currently a have long discontinued but trusty 7363 sat FOH in the dog box. Back stage is about 50m away and stagemix on an ipad there is rock solid.

These are access points not routers so they may not have a DHCP server and they may require POE. Personally, for Yamaha desk control, I just use a static IP on the ipad. They're expensive new but plenty of bargains on ebay.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 06:34:03 PM »

Brand name is meaningless.  Linksys offers such a range of devices from utter crap to decent, you can't rely on the brand name to determine your needs.

Now, when designing your WIFI network, it's important to know what you actually need.  Most consumer grade devices are 3 in ones.  They are a router, a DHCP server and a wireless access point.  If you are not connecting your gear to the internet, or another network, you don't need a router.  If you statically assign the IP addresses on all of your devices, you do not need a DHCP server.  That leaves you with needing only an access point.

With WIFI, you need to realize that no matter where you go, you're likely competing with other devices and making it work reliably can be quite a challenge.  Putting a single access point up and cranking up the power is usually NOT the best method.  Consumer grade routers work fine in the home, but they do not handle it well when you get in a room with hundreds of people.

What I've found to work best is to get the access point as close as I can to where I need it.  I used to use Airport expresses and put one at FOH, one at monitor world, and sometimes one opposite side of the stage, all connected via ethernet cables.  Since I'm running a line to FOH, adding another piece of cat5 to the run is no big deal.

The Airport express was handy, but is now discontinued.  For simple installs, I've had really good luck with with the Ubiquity Unifi line of access points.  It's very handy that they work with POE so all I need is an ethernet cable and I can drop an access point wherever I need it.  Their software is pretty powerful in monitoring interference, although I haven't had any trouble in live work with them.
Brian Jojade

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 09:56:50 AM »

"With WIFI, you need to realize that no matter where you go, you're likely competing with other devices and making it work reliably can be quite a challenge.  Putting a single access point up and cranking up the power is usually NOT the best method.  Consumer grade routers work fine in the home, but they do not handle it well when you get in a room with hundreds of people."

Also your device in hand has consumer grade Transceivers.  So best to use Dual band and get up in the 5 gig also. 

I have also been ensuring bluetooth is turned off for the devices in hand to control other items.   Digital mixers or  DMX lighting.

Follow antenna Rule  1/4 wavelength away from other wireless. 

« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 09:59:00 AM by Jerome Malsack »

Bryan Hargrave

• I'm one jammin' dude.
    • Soundworks of VA, Inc
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2018, 02:28:18 PM »

I got one of the Ubiquiti Unifi Indoor/Outdoor AP jobs recently and am pretty impressed with its range. It is dual band and has mesh capabilities if you want to add more APs. I rigged it up to a little clamp and can easily get it up over peoples heads. POE, no DHCP.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY

Hi
Thanks
Guy
Like us on facebook at Soundworks of VA, Inc.

Tom Provenza

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 05:35:44 PM »

Another Ubiquiti user. Even though I have a ton of UniFi stuff, I use a NanoStation M5 for this work. Even though it is designed more as a bridge device, it can be configured for everything you need for this application and has been 100% reliable.

------------------

Tom Provenza

Brian Hancock

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »

Another Ubiquiti user. Even though I have a ton of UniFi stuff, I use a NanoStation M5 for this work. Even though it is designed more as a bridge device, it can be configured for everything you need for this application and has been 100% reliable.

+1 for the unifi stuff... also l-com makes some great accessories ... engenius also makes great stuff

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 02:40:46 PM »

Engenius also makes great stuff

I've been using EnGenius ENS500EXTs as WAPs with static IPs on the (QL1/5) console and iPads and they're very reliable, placed on top of a fully extended boom arm mic stand with a Sampson mic clip.

Jesse Gregorio

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »

I'm in the process of getting another wireless router to replace the current/outdated one that I have. While doing some research, I came across this in this thread:

Brand name is meaningless.  Linksys offers such a range of devices from utter crap to decent, you can't rely on the brand name to determine your needs.

Now, when designing your WIFI network, it's important to know what you actually need.  Most consumer grade devices are 3 in ones.  They are a router, a DHCP server and a wireless access point.  If you are not connecting your gear to the internet, or another network, you don't need a router.  If you statically assign the IP addresses on all of your devices, you do not need a DHCP server.  That leaves you with needing only an access point.

With WIFI, you need to realize that no matter where you go, you're likely competing with other devices and making it work reliably can be quite a challenge.  Putting a single access point up and cranking up the power is usually NOT the best method.  Consumer grade routers work fine in the home, but they do not handle it well when you get in a room with hundreds of people.

What I've found to work best is to get the access point as close as I can to where I need it.  I used to use Airport expresses and put one at FOH, one at monitor world, and sometimes one opposite side of the stage, all connected via ethernet cables.  Since I'm running a line to FOH, adding another piece of cat5 to the run is no big deal.

The Airport express was handy, but is now discontinued.  For simple installs, I've had really good luck with with the Ubiquity Unifi line of access points.  It's very handy that they work with POE so all I need is an ethernet cable and I can drop an access point wherever I need it.  Their software is pretty powerful in monitoring interference, although I haven't had any trouble in live work with them.

What sparked my interest was this:

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UAP-AC-M-US-Unifi-Access-Point/dp/B01N9FIELY

I've been trying to find how to set up the Ubiquiti UAP-AC-M-US for use with my qu-16 with no success. How would I go about doing this? Do I still need a wireless router?

The reason why I ask about still needing a router is that on the Amazon page for this product, in the Q & A portion, someone asked if they still needed a router and the response was yes. I'm new to this concept of just a single AP for my mixer and by my logic, I would assume a router would not be necessary. Please correct me if I'm wrong and point me in the right direction.

TIA.....

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 06:59:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.