ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure ULX battery draw  (Read 5998 times)

Justin Goodman

Re: Shure ULX battery draw
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 09:56:45 AM »

^^^^^^^^^

You are correct. The more sound it transmits the faster it draws the battery.

Can somebody explain how this works?  I'm not doubting that it's correct, just curious why it's the case.  My understanding of FM modulation is that output amplitude should be pretty constant (vs AM).  I can see the "work" of modulating the frequency with "content" potentially requiring some power, maybe?  But it doesn't seem like it would be tremendously different?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 01:34:08 PM »

I switched to L-Ion 9V a few years ago because they have MORE capacity than an alkaline.  I'm still using the first set i bought.  They're at least 5 years old at this point.  They've never let me down.

Any particular brand?

Charger?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 01:54:41 PM »

I switched to L-Ion 9V a few years ago because they have MORE capacity than an alkaline.  I'm still using the first set i bought.  They're at least 5 years old at this point.  They've never let me down.
The other thing people don't realize about rechargeables is that they can be MORE reliable than Alkalines. If you've used that particular rechargeable battery before, you already know how long it will last when fully charged. An alkaline can be DOA out of the box, or have lower capacity than expected because IT's THE FIRST TIME YOU'VE EVER USED IT. It has no history or track record. You're just gambling that it will work.
There are no real advantages to non-rechargables except convenience. For professional, critical situations, KNOWN rechargeables are the right way to go.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 04:26:31 PM »

Can somebody explain how this works?  I'm not doubting that it's correct, just curious why it's the case.  My understanding of FM modulation is that output amplitude should be pretty constant (vs AM).  I can see the "work" of modulating the frequency with "content" potentially requiring some power, maybe?  But it doesn't seem like it would be tremendously different?
A wireless microphone transmitter carries a whole lot more circuitry than just the radio portion.  How that circuitry handles the audio portion is crucial in how rapidly the electrical current is consumed.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2018, 02:22:02 PM »

There is a companding circuit in the microphone among several other monitoring circuits. It is sending all kinds of data to the receiver. The pilot tone, the audio signal, battery usage info etc. When actual audio is passing through it has to modulate that data and transmit it. Even running in hi or low power mode is a factor in battery life. Simply, the more information that is transmitted the shorter the battery life.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2018, 03:36:24 PM »

Rob, I can't answer your questions directly however, we own several ULX/P with both handheld 58/Beta 58a and body packs.  We always use Duracell Pro-cell 9 volt batteries.  We consistently get 6 - 8 hours regardless of which mic system we are using.  We have only had two of the Duracell Pro-cells not work in the past 5 years or so.  We go through between 800 and 1,000 per year.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »

I have come across several bad batches of Duracell Pro-Cell batteries. How or why is beyond me, but I have been let down by them more than a couple times over the years. I would say at least 3-4 times in the last 15 years.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2018, 06:47:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.