ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Connect Stage Monitor to Mixer  (Read 6917 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: How to Connect Stage Monitor to Mixer
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2018, 01:01:03 PM »

Are we sure the 1/4” connector is TS and not TRS?

I would skip the EON. Same class as Mackie in my view.
I have bad memories of past EONs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ken Webster

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2018, 05:59:40 PM »

Are we sure the 1/4” connector is TS and not TRS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

No, not absolutely certain.  The Service manual says all outputs (including XLR) are unbalanced which suggests the 1/4" is most likely TS.  Unbalanced XLR seems highly unusual to me so I am a bit suspicious.  I would always test 1/4" outputs to be absolutely sure what I am dealing with but I don't know what the OP has available to do this and it seems long winded to explain clearly on the forum.  If you think you can, please do so.

Another option for the OP is to have feedback control between the mixer and FB speakers.  Either an equaliser or feedback eliminator could possibly also convert unbalanced to balanced.

Ken
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 06:25:00 PM by Ken Webster »

jackmoore

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 05:40:34 PM »

No, not absolutely certain.  The Service manual says all outputs (including XLR) are unbalanced which suggests the 1/4" is most likely TS.  Unbalanced XLR seems highly unusual to me so I am a bit suspicious.  I would always test 1/4" outputs to be absolutely sure what I am dealing with but I don't know what the OP has available to do this and it seems long winded to explain clearly on the forum.  If you think you can, please do so.

Another option for the OP is to have feedback control between the mixer and FB speakers.  Either an equaliser or feedback eliminator could possibly also convert unbalanced to balanced.

Ken

How would you check the 1/4 jack?

Ken Webster

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 11:29:31 PM »

How would you check the 1/4 jack?

You could test with a meter across TS, RS and TR but I’ve decided the simplest and easiest way to explain it on a forum is just plug any ordinary low impedance stereo headphones into the output jack.  Then bring up the output level until you can hear something.

If you hear the signal only in the left ear, then its unbalanced TS.

If you hear in both, then it’s either balanced, or stereo but since this is PA, stereo TRS is most unlikely.  However, in this case if you plug in via a stereo/Mono converter and you have no sound at all, then it’s balanced, but if there is sound, it’s stereo.

If you hear signal only in the right ear, then you are wearing the phones the wrong way around. 😉

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 05:05:22 PM »

You could test with a meter across TS, RS and TR but I’ve decided the simplest and easiest way to explain it on a forum is just plug any ordinary low impedance stereo headphones into the output jack.  Then bring up the output level until you can hear something.

If you hear the signal only in the left ear, then its unbalanced TS.

If you hear in both, then it’s either balanced, or stereo but since this is PA, stereo TRS is most unlikely.  However, in this case if you plug in via a stereo/Mono converter and you have no sound at all, then it’s balanced, but if there is sound, it’s stereo.

If you hear signal only in the right ear, then you are wearing the phones the wrong way around. 😉

If the output connector is unbalanced, then use a short 1/4" TS cable from the output to a passive* direct box with no attenuation to convert to a balanced XLR signal line.

If the output is balanced (or you're not sure) you can still use a 1/4" TS cable and direct box in the exact same configuration. An advantage of a direct box (either way) is that you can easily lift the ground if needed to combat noise.

*Or active, if you already have an active direct box and don't have a passive one to spare.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Ken Webster

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »

If the output connector is unbalanced, then use a short 1/4" TS cable from the output to a passive* direct box with no attenuation to convert to a balanced XLR signal line.

If the output is balanced (or you're not sure) you can still use a 1/4" TS cable and direct box in the exact same configuration. An advantage of a direct box (either way) is that you can easily lift the ground if needed to combat noise.

*Or active, if you already have an active direct box and don't have a passive one to spare.

You could but:

I am actually horrified by the suggestion to put possibly unnecessary electronics in the signal path.  Surely the game is to keep the path as clean as possible and to do that you need to determine what is and is not necessary.  Also, some churches run sound on a shoestring budget so the sound person simply can't waste even the smallest resource on an off chance.  The sound person simply must know what they have, and target only the weakest links in the system.

I have used DIs as well as these transformers.  IMO these transformers are the cheaper and more reliable option.  They are well suited to this specific application where impedances and levels are so well defined.  You could certainly do much worse with some of the DIs I've seen over the years.

Ken

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 06:33:50 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.