ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small bar rig  (Read 4743 times)

Scott Gaines

Re: Small bar rig
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 02:01:49 PM »

Agreed. You shouldn't buy cheap stuff. Anything in the range of Yamaha DXR, QSC K.2, Turbosound IQ, JBL PRX series should take good care of you.
Spend the $ once and have a respectable sound system.

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 03:16:14 PM »

I vote 2 Turbosound iQ8s on wall brackets, 2 iQ10s for wedges, an iQ15b sub and an XR18 mixer. I think the iQ8 is the best sounding iQ for vocals and 2 would cover that room.

Scott Gaines

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »

I vote 2 Turbosound iQ8s on wall brackets, 2 iQ10s for wedges, an iQ15b sub and an XR18 mixer. I think the iQ8 is the best sounding iQ for vocals and 2 would cover that room.
I own an IQ10 and it is a fine wedge. Can't imagine  IQ8s as mains, though. Tried QSC K8s as mains in a small bar and they struggled. But we mic everything.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 05:57:32 PM »

Has an actual budget been set yet for this project? 
Brian Jojade

Wes Garland

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 10:37:48 PM »

Budget would be helpful, as would country of install.

Minimum IMO --
2 x 12+1" powered tops
2 x 10+1" powered monitors
2 x SM-58
2 x round-base mic stands with booms (not cheap ones)
6 x 25' mic cords
1 2x31ch graphic equalizer
2 x insert cables
1 x analog mixer with effects, aux 1 and main insert points

I love digital but if there is not going to be a dedicated sound guy, analog is the only realistic choice.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 11:48:52 AM »

I agree with Wes about using analog; or maybe a hybrid. I'm also curious about the budget, because that's probably the biggest factor in all of this.

That said... we have a small pub near us that is about 2-3x the size of the venue you're describing. They have open jams a few times a week, feature duos/trios a few times a week, and have a house band that plays about once a week.

High-ish ceilings, probably 2000-2500 square feet inside.

Their house system consists of:
Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2
HK Elements 435 speakers (mains)
2x EV 12" powered monitors - not sure of model... haven't looked

Very simple, yet very effective. I was shocked by how great those HK speakers do and sound at FOH. They're tiny but are really good.

Edit: forgot to include picture of the local pub for reference...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:56:37 AM by Steve Litscher »

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 12:36:54 PM »

Don’t forget the Electro-Voice ELX200 stuff. A few 10” tops, 10” wedges and 12” subs come in at a good price point and sound great.

I have some QSC CP boxes in for a Road Test right now and they sound great. There are yoke mounts available for the boxes that would make install and positioning a breeze. The CPs would also make excellent tops and monitors without breaking the bank. There is no sub in the CP series as of yet so you would have to use a KS112 or Ksub.

Unlike a few folks on here, I like Alto speakers for budget applications. The Alto boxes sound fine and are very inexpensive compared to other boxes. They have discontinued the products I am familiar with but it looks like their new  TS3 series in an improvement with larger power amplifiers. Their older 18” subs were a bit underpowered for loud live use but the newer subs look like they would easily handle a room full of 75+ people.

Mackie has the compact DLM series and the HD series. I’m not sure of the pricing but both sound good.

Add a Mackie PROFX analog mixer to any of the above or previously mentioned speakers in other replies and you would have a kickin little system that was easy to use.

Craig

I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

Steve Mason

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »

Thanks all for the responses.  And please rest assured I would NEVER even think of using a passport system as a house band PA.
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 04:06:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 25 queries.