ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small bar rig  (Read 4746 times)

Steve Mason

Small bar rig
« on: October 13, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »

Bar owner/friend looking to do a small rig for her bar stage.  Karaoke 2-3 nights a week and a full band jam session weekly.  Total space is less than 1000 sq feet and less than 75 people jams the place pretty well. It's a small operation so she is going to be "budget conscious" and has been resistant to the buy once cry once philosophy in the past. 2 mains, two monitors and an combo amp/mixer semi permanent install. 
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Small bar rig
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »

2-Yamaha DXR12 mains
2-DXR10 monitors
aAny number of small analog mixers : Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, etc.
Model depending on channel count needs.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tom Provenza

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 07:31:13 PM »

Bar owner/friend looking to do a small rig for her bar stage.  Karaoke 2-3 nights a week and a full band jam session weekly.  Total space is less than 1000 sq feet and less than 75 people jams the place pretty well. It's a small operation so she is going to be "budget conscious" and has been resistant to the buy once cry once philosophy in the past. 2 mains, two monitors and an combo amp/mixer semi permanent install.

Define  “full band jam”?  About the only combo mixer/amp I might have ever recommended is the now discontinued A&H PA CP series.  What’s the budget? Powered speakers out of the question?
------------------

Tom Provenza

Scott Gaines

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 07:57:46 PM »

Powered speakers can't be out of the question. For that type of scenario, they are the only thing that makes sense.

For a place that small, A pair of JBL PRX 812's and a single PRX 18" sub should do great for FOH. And if cost is a big issue, QSC just released a set of cheap powered wedges (CP series, I think). If there's $ to spend, 3 Turbosound IQ10s work great for monitors, and they aren't very big.

Steve Mason

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 08:28:33 PM »

Define  “full band jam”?  About the only combo mixer/amp I might have ever recommended is the now discontinued A&H PA CP series.  What’s the budget? Powered speakers out of the question?

4 piece core band.  Jammers play with the band although usually it's a swap in swap out for a band member.  Max 6 people on stage at any given time.  So inputs are generally 4 vocals 1 kick mic 1 aux something (acoustic or keys) or other. Usually never more than 8 channels.
Proz Act Audio
Relax. We got ya covered.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 09:03:53 PM »

2 mains, two monitors and an combo amp/mixer

Go with 4 powered 10s for mains and mons, a 15" powered sub and an XR-something digital mixer that can be remotely managed from anywhere. I think if you put something like a Fender Passport in there for the PA they won't have respectable musicians frequenting the place much longer.

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 01:04:38 AM »

Go with 4 powered 10s for mains and mons, a 15" powered sub and an XR-something digital mixer that can be remotely managed from anywhere. I think if you put something like a Fender Passport in there for the PA they won't have respectable musicians frequenting the place much longer.
I am on the passive cab/ power amp instead of active speakers camp......IMO, however, the above bold text is important as not only will a Passport sound bad, the terminal hardware (included wires) is not better/sturdier than your flimsy everyday consumer earbud hardware...almost useless in the pro sound world..

MikeHarris

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 04:08:01 AM »

2-Yamaha DXR12 mains
2-DXR10 monitors
aAny number of small analog mixers : Soundcraft, Allen and Heath, etc.
Model depending on channel count needs.

Agree on Yamaha
We just finished a small club rig with the Midas XR18 so check that out.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 10:30:53 AM »

IMO, however, the above bold text is important as not only will a Passport sound bad, the terminal hardware (included wires) is not better/sturdier than your flimsy everyday consumer earbud hardware...almost useless in the pro sound world..

Agreed, Passport is a joke.  If I were in a band (I'm not), I'd demand a usable PA or more money to provide my own, with that struck before arriving.  I've had to use them a couple dozen times and it was all I could do to not "long term dumpster storage" them.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »

Hey Steve,

The reason everyone is pushing the active speakers is that they are most likely to just sound good when you plug them in, and their internal protection makes it difficult (not impossible) to break them through misuse.

Of course, as in all things, everything costs.  The speakers being recommended (and I would vote for the DXR15's btw), are not low end, nor are they touring stuff.  They will take a beating in a bar, sound good every time you turn them on, and will simply do what you ask them to do.

You can get less expensive active speakers (Alto), and while they do sound fine (not as fine as the DXR of course), they are not nearly as robust and do not carry the massive 7 year warranty that the Yamaha's do.

$1600 (and you can get them for a few hundred less if you ask around), really isn't a bad investment for a guaranteed 7 year life (and probably much longer than that) in a bar.  I would venture to say that purchasing less expensive speakers will likely cost her more in the long run, and won't sound as nice either.

If she really just can't swing this kind of money (which really isn't much when you think about it), the Alto TS315's go for $350.  They are an OK speaker, but may be fine for her purposes.  I wouldn't push them hard all night every night though.  My gut says that would likely result in failed speakers.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 01:42:58 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 25 queries.