ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Double-Conversion UPS that puts out 120v/60hz regardless of input voltage/freq  (Read 7403 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

If you can let the UPS part go ( how much do you need a UPS for a B3 & Leslie? ) most high end power amps these days are capable of AC input from low 90s to 250 VAC 50 / 60 Hz.  Feed a 60Hz sine wave in ( I think iTechs have built in oscillators maybe Lab Gruppens too ), dial up the gain to get your 120 VAC out and you've got some very clean AC to keep your 1950s technology running.
That's how we did variable speed drive for the 2" recorders in the studio I worked in.  We built the power amps and the recorder circuitry, buying the transports equipped to the studio owner specs.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio

Just look at all the applications crown amps (essentially) have been used for by the AE Techron guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune

Back at Peavey we did things like that for testing various SKUs at 50Hz mains frequency.

No, we didn't use Crown amps  ::)  (no offense).

JR

PS: Speaking of Crown more than once, the old DC300 amps got repurposed as emergency console power supplies, something you can't do with AC coupled power amps.
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

Back in 1970 I was working in an engineering lab as a tech. We were developing a drum recorder with 200 tracks which would each have short phrases and the computer would build sentences by switching tracks. The 4” diameter drum turned at 1 rev per 4 seconds.
While the servo circuit for the various motors we were evaluating was being developed, we didn’t want to build drivers for each so we just used a Crown DC300.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio

Thank you, Pete! I never would have found this without you. I literally have been searching the 'net for days. Hopefully it's reasonably priced!
Here's the current model, for anyone interested...
https://www.falconups.com/ups/ed-ups-rackmount.htm

Contacted company... 

Thank you for your inquiry in Falcon UPS products.  The SUP is being discontinued.  The new series are in development and to be released later next year.  It will be universal power IN as well....

Please call or email me if you have any questions.

Sincerely
Ngayi
Falcon Electric, Inc.
(626) 962-7774 x116
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Riley Casey

• Wash DC

Speaking of Crown more than once, the old DC300 amps got repurposed as _ loudspeaker launchers causing at least a few JBL 2205 frames to go to the trash after not being able to remove the remnants of the voice coils from the gaps_  something you can't do with AC coupled power amps.

...snip ...

PS: Speaking of Crown more than once, the old DC300 amps got repurposed as emergency console power supplies, something you can't do with AC coupled power amps.

David Buckley

Yeah, plenty of regulators out there, and that one is being discontinued... Thanks, though!

Oops - with the discontinuance of the PCR-Ms, there is now the PCR-MA range, so the new standard then.

These are not regulators in any way shape or form.  They are laboratory power supplies.  They take in whatever you have, and synthesize the voltage and frequency that you want, within the device capability.   Despite them being lab power supplies, turns out if you tour the world they deliver your preferred power wherever you happen to be.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two

Thanks, everyone. I think I found the closest thing I'm gonna find.

https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,168934.msg1558309.html#msg1558309
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Double-Conversion UPS that puts out 120v/60hz regardless of input voltage/freq
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 09:25:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.