ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: HDMI to HD-SDI Converters  (Read 6151 times)

Greg Branson

HDMI to HD-SDI Converters
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:55:01 AM »

I am trying to convert HDMI from a laptop (1280 X 720) to HD-SDI. I have tried both an AJA HA5 and a Blackmagic Design HDMI to SDI Mini Converter to no avail. I am considering getting a Kramer FC-113. Any suggestions?

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: HDMI to HD-SDI Converters
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:13:46 AM »

I am trying to convert HDMI from a laptop (1280 X 720) to HD-SDI. I have tried both an AJA HA5 and a Blackmagic Design HDMI to SDI Mini Converter to no avail. I am considering getting a Kramer FC-113. Any suggestions?

Greg, what problem(s) are you encountering when using the AJA or the BMD products?

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 11:53:06 AM »

If it's an HDCP issue - none of them will work.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 02:02:31 PM »

If you are using a Mac you'll have issues with the basic desktop out of the digital ports because the desktop is "protected" by HDCP.
We get around this with systems like Polycom by using an VGA adapter from the Mac. Extron now has a box that will strip the HDCP from the Mac's to get around this for HDMI out. Also SDI video does not do HDCP.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 02:26:07 PM »

HDCP was definitely in my mind, but without knowing why the OP stated "to no avail," it's hard to suggest what things the OP needs to do or buy to make his setup work...
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Greg Branson

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »

Greg, what problem(s) are you encountering when using the AJA or the BMD products?

-Ray

I get no signal or sometimes a signal that will not sync.

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 04:13:22 PM »

What brand and model is your laptop? A standalone HDMI port or do you adapt from mini-display port or USB-c? What equipment are you trying to feed the SDI signal into. What cabling are you using for SDI send?
Can you even get a image out of your laptop?

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:12 PM »

If you are using a Mac you'll have issues with the basic desktop out of the digital ports because the desktop is "protected" by HDCP.
We get around this with systems like Polycom by using an VGA adapter from the Mac. Extron now has a box that will strip the HDCP from the Mac's to get around this for HDMI out. Also SDI video does not do HDCP.

The Mac output is only "protected by HDCP" when playing HDCP protected content AND/OR when the item it is connected to has HDCP compatibility active. I've had no problem feeding unprotected video content into DAC-70s and various switchers.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 04:22:18 PM »

Yeah. It only raises it's nasty head when your trying to live stream or lecture/capture. They work fine just connected to the AV systems to do PowerPoint, Youtube and stuff on a HDCP compliant TV or projector. All the systems we have on campus are HDCP compliant. While I have worked with it I don't do video production at work so SDI is not in our systems

Greg Branson

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »

What brand and model is your laptop? A standalone HDMI port or do you adapt from mini-display port or USB-c? What equipment are you trying to feed the SDI signal into. What cabling are you using for SDI send?
Can you even get a image out of your laptop?

Tried different laptops. One is an HP with a standard HDMI connector. Another is a Lenovo ThinkPad with a Mini HDMI connector through an adapter.

Have tried to send to two different SDI inputs. One is to a Vaddio ProductionView switcher. Another is to a Blackmagic Design H.264 Pro Recorder.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.