ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Skating Rink Install Obstacles  (Read 197 times)

cadeperry12

Skating Rink Install Obstacles
« on: October 10, 2018, 11:31:06 pm »

Hello all, I have been lurking on this forum for a while, as I found all of the information very useful.  I am currently a DJ, but I wanted to expand my knowledge of sound systems for future events.  This time, however, I have a different type of question.

Recently, I got a job at a skate center to DJ some of their sessions for a little spending money for college.  And, they have reached out to me in regards to how to fix the issues with their sound system.  Basically, after some digging, I determined the issue to be with the speaker placement.  Currently, they are using 12 Electro Voice TX1152s turned on their sides and clustered in the middle.  For the most part, this does well, and comb filtering is at a minimum.  They wanted 12 boxes, because they look neater to the eye than having only 9 boxes, as I recommended (due to the coverage pattern of the boxes being 40 degrees horizontal when they had them turned on their sides).  However, there were still a couple of issues that I found I could not solve with the knowledge obtained from this forum.  So, I have created a list of questions to see if you guys could help me out.

1. Some areas of the skate floor are very loud, where as others (such as the ends of the floor where the skater is furthest away from the cluster) are more quiet.  Could this issue be fixed by putting the speakers that cover the majority of this area on a separate amp/amps and run them at a higher level than the others?

2.  Would it be more beneficial to turn the speakers upside down, where the horn is at the bottom and the woofer at the top?  Would it also be more beneficial to mount a few subwoofers in the spaces left by turning these speakers upside down? (Asking in terms of bass dispersion, as I am most unfamiliar with how subwoofer positioning affects bass output.)

3. Do you think the speakers should be swapped for those with a greater vertical coverage pattern? (I.e. 90 degrees as opposed to 60 degrees.)  Or, would it be more beneficial to just acquire smaller speakers?  (I was thinking the EV S-40 for use with vocals only.  Main issue being that when the DJ gets on the microphone, those not in the coverage pattern, which in this case is the skate floor, would not be able to hear as well.  Music only needs to be concentrated on the skate floor in my opinion, but the DJ makes critical announcements that everyone needs to hear.)

I'm sorry if this may be confusing, because I have to type this quickly, but let me know if I need to list any more info for yall.  Thanks in advance!

Roland Clarke

Re: Skating Rink Install Obstacles
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 01:21:23 am »

Need to post using your real name or you wonít get any replies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 21 queries.