ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AV Design  (Read 3305 times)

Rob Somppi

AV Design
« on: October 10, 2018, 10:57:46 AM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for the AV design community. The people who make the construction plans for large commercial AV systems. I know this isn't the place but if someone could point me in a direction, that would be great as anything about this side of the industry is really hard to find.

Thanks!

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: AV Design
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 11:12:16 AM »

Hi all,

I'm looking for the AV design community. The people who make the construction plans for large commercial AV systems. I know this isn't the place but if someone could point me in a direction, that would be great as anything about this side of the industry is really hard to find.
Rob,

You may get better results/answers if you allude a bit as to what your goal is. Are you looking to start a career in that industry and want to know where to start? Do you work for a large venue that is looking for an integrator/contractor to do the design/install? Do you already have this and are trying to get a "Second opinion" on the designs/cost estimate you're looking at to make sure it was done correctly and completely? Or are you just curious as to how it's all done and want to ask questions?

Each one of these scenarios will give you a different answer...

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 12:10:08 PM »

Also your location.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »

I don't think there is a forum specific board on this site for that, but I could be wrong. AV design is a little less technical at the component use level since it is more geared at product knowledge and system design as well as CAD and Vectorworks experience.

Most AV designers are not the ones actually installing, implementing and optimizing the systems in which they built on paper. They tend to have great product knowledge ( what is available and what it can do ) and a basic understanding of audio and video that allows them to design a system that works and is within a budget constraint.

This site is more geared towards those who are in the muck of it all and actually do the end user tasks, not so much the designing and blueprinting of things. My guess is that you may have more luck finding stuff on the Vectorworks forum? As for finding a site that has predominately system design and CAD related knowledge base is going to be a tough find. I don't know of any.

My suggestion is to look at the forums for the end user products you design around. QSC Q-sys, Extron, Blackmagic Designs, AMX, and Symetrix are just a few companies that may have forums that are more geared towards the designer.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:15:28 AM »

I'll echo what others have asked, what are you looking for?  I'm one of the few here who has moved from live production to system design (large, rock and roll style churches mostly).

The reason there aren't many forums for system design - it's complex enough, especially when dealing with new construction, that the DIY approach falls flat.  The only good systems (at churches, I assume performance venues mirror this) that were DIY - were designed by someone who had prior solid experience designing similar systems.  The notion that a venue can get as good a system based on internet forum instead of hiring a solid (key term) integrator is fantasy.

What I do wish for - is a way to raise the collective bar.  It's sad how anyone it seems can start a "live music company" or "installed system company".  Working for an established company, or better yet 2-3, before starting out solo is still the best. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »

Check out Avixa, it is the AV industry professional organization. AV people from all aspects are members. A good way to start. https://www.avixa.org/

What is your current level of skills and knowledge? To be a good designer as pointed out you'll need to know AV systems, construction, networks, people skills, etc, etc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 04:17:41 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.