ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: What parts of a digitial mixer are digital?  (Read 2051 times)

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: What parts of a digitial mixer are digital?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2018, 11:04:26 am »

I would say it depends.

With modern Dante/Ravenna/AES networks I would say that the actual console is 100% digital. You don't need to control the pre from the console and in some situations it isn't controlled from the console and likewise you don't need to convert to analogue from the console you could very well be sending a digital stream somewhere else and the converts to analogue.

Pre-amps are digital but a RIO is really not part of the CL5 console, it will operate without a CL5 no problem so it is a dedicated stage box, the CL5 is the console and save for the omni in/out there are no analogue ports on there. Going back to the RIO once again it isn't part of the console.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Daniel Rugotzke

• Classic LAB
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2018, 03:27:01 am »

Technically, the encoders (faders, knobs, and possibly buttons) on most digital mixer control surfaces are analog.  These encoders are converted to digital values that then control manipulation of the audio data.  All the audio processing is digital.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2018, 11:38:05 am »

Technically, the encoders (faders, knobs, and possibly buttons) on most digital mixer control surfaces are analog.  These encoders are converted to digital values that then control manipulation of the audio data.  All the audio processing is digital.

Is my understanding of encoders mistaken? I think the only thing analog about them is that they have a linear sliding knob. Instead of a constantly variable resistance they create a string of pulses, a digital output.

Mac

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2018, 11:46:40 am »

Is my understanding of encoders mistaken? I think the only thing analog about them is that they have a linear sliding knob. Instead of a constantly variable resistance they create a string of pulses, a digital output.

Mac
This pedantic inspection of minutiae related to the glue components and circuitry around a digital mixer is not very informative (IMO).

Indeed digital encoders deliver a digital code output (duh) that digital processors can accept directly. Analog pots and faders used to control digital consoles generate a varying analog voltage, that gets digitized by A/D convertors for use controlling the digital signal inside the digital domain.

JR

On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.....  http://circularscience.com/

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2018, 12:01:22 pm »

if you think about it a power switch is on/off so kind of digital   ;D   

So you are making a big assumnption that the power switch is an on/off switch. It might not actually be so.

Just poking at you bro  ;)
Don Boomer
RF Venue

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2018, 02:11:46 pm »

So you are making a big assumnption that the power switch is an on/off switch. It might not actually be so.

Just poking at you bro  ;)

Power switches are generally two state... either on or off... the definition of binary (digital).

I have designed on/off switches in battery powered products that both provide analog voltage to boot up the processor, and a digital switch input for the processor to use alternately depending on previous state. When it's time to turn off this digital input tells the processor to stop holding the power supply on.

This is the way most web discussions go, too much info only vaguely related to the OP's question.  ::)

JR
On the internet people tell you everything "they" know, not the answer to "your" question.....  http://circularscience.com/

David Allred

« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2018, 03:50:15 pm »

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2018, 06:40:26 pm »

Very George Costanza of you. ;D
https://youtu.be/-cYpEsY_WGY
How's this for pedantic:

Devices aren't analog or digital, signals are.

Using electricity to transfer a signal is different from using electricity as a power source.

Is my bedroom light analog or digital?

When noise is superimposed on a digital signal, does the circuit suddenly become analog?

If my m32 takes in an analog signal and outputs a predictable analog signal, can I consider it an analog device? ( From the standpoint of system design, yes).

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2018, 07:24:44 pm »

This pedantic inspection of minutiae related to the glue components and circuitry around a digital mixer is not very informative (IMO)...

IMO, the OP was an invitation for pedantic inspection of minutiae. Something this forum is often very good at. While some parts of this discussion may or may not be informative, it has certainly provided enjoyment for myself and hopefully others. Please continue with the inspection of minutiae.

Devices aren't analog or digital, signals are.

Yes

Power switches are generally two state... either on or off... the definition of binary (digital).

Just because something is binary does not make it digital. The British measurement of volume and weight is basically binary (OK Base 2 for some) (2 teaspoons to a tablespoon (ignoring some history) 2 table spoons to an ounce, a couple of forgotten antiquated intermediate measurements, 2 cups to a pint, then quart, another forgotten intermediate, gallon)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

John Roberts {JR}

• Resotune
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2018, 08:41:53 pm »

IMO, the OP was an invitation for pedantic inspection of minutiae. Something this forum is often very good at. While some parts of this discussion may or may not be informative, it has certainly provided enjoyment for myself and hopefully others. Please continue with the inspection of minutiae.
you asked for it...

Yes
this is an old conceit, but yes individual circuitry inside digital ICs are linear analog*** components configured to perform digital functions.
Just because something is binary does not make it digital.
I stand corrected... just messing...

on/off switches are "bi-state".  Digital math is binary, or hex, or octal, or...
The British measurement of volume and weight is basically binary (OK Base 2 for some) (2 teaspoons to a tablespoon (ignoring some history) 2 table spoons to an ounce, a couple of forgotten antiquated intermediate measurements, 2 cups to a pint, then quart, another forgotten intermediate, gallon)
huh...  maybe?

JR

*** if we drill down to individual electrons and holes it becomes almost digital again, but we don't get down that small, yet.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.