ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Very Small Format Mixer  (Read 2253 times)

Bob Stone

Re: Very Small Format Mixer
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 05:29:13 pm »

In this realm of small format mixers I have QU-PAC, QSC TouchMix16, and Soundcraft EFX8 (analog).
I would recommend the QSC Touchmix 8. You should be able to buy a new unit for under $800.
They are extremely compact and powerful. They have an easy to use interface on the unit and it comes with built in wifi if you ever need to mix from a pad. I believe it has built in presets for QSC speakers. It also has multitrack recording to a usb drive.

Touchmix 8 is $1200 up here :(
QU-PAC is $2000 up here :( :(

Front runners for me right now, all $550 CAD or less:
Soundcraft Signature 10 or 12
Allen Heath Zed-10 or Zed60-10fx or Zed-10fx
Mackie ProFXv2 8 or 12
Soundcraft EPM8 or EFX8

I'm thinking just going cheap on a Mackie for now, it's $250 for the 8 channel and has a $30 rebate right now. Then depending on how things go, will add a digital rig down the road.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 06:08:54 pm »

Nobody is listening to the requirements. Show me a quality digital setup including the rack/tablet/wireless/computer stuff to run it (since I don't own any of that right now) that I can buy for under $500 in Canada then we'll talk. The closest I've found is the XR12 and that alone blows $440 of the budget without a tablet or case/rack.
I'm listening exactly to your requirements.  My XR18 is fab in so many circumstances.  I did a similar gig to yours last week, a charity AGM.  Just my XR18, RXF ART 710s, two headset mics and a handheld,  set up in minutes, all the EQ I needed to make it work well, automix to make multiple open mics a breeze, and I could have the kit stage-side, yet mix from the back of the room with no bulky snake/cable.  Even the last minute request to record a speaker was a breeze, by using the USB record option.  I really wouldn't want to go back to the old way!

XR12 from Sweetwater is USD 250 = CAD 325.  Gator soft bag USD 40 = CAD 50.  Used Fire 7 tablet = CAD 50.  Cheap router from ebay CAD 15.  Within budget.

Actiually, as your own kit an well looked after, you might well have a bag/case that'll take a small mixer like the XR12 without needing to spend.  Also, you may have an old router knocking about that you can put into action.  If no tablet, then any Android phone is actually pretty workable with Mixing Station.  So your spend could genuinely be as low as CAD 325.

And, although your needs sound simple, it's the talking head shows that can be the more demanding, where good flexible EQ can be a life-saver.  Small gigs are a relative breeze with an analog mixer, admittedly, but with digital, you have all the toys (dynamics & FX) to add real polish.

Bob Stone

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 06:27:50 pm »

I'm listening exactly to your requirements.  My XR18 is fab in so many circumstances.  I did a similar gig to yours last week, a charity AGM.  Just my XR18, RXF ART 710s, two headset mics and a handheld,  set up in minutes, all the EQ I needed to make it work well, automix to make multiple open mics a breeze, and I could have the kit stage-side, yet mix from the back of the room with no bulky snake/cable.  Even the last minute request to record a speaker was a breeze, by using the USB record option.  I really wouldn't want to go back to the old way!

XR12 from Sweetwater is USD 250 = CAD 325.  Gator soft bag USD 40 = CAD 50.  Used Fire 7 tablet = CAD 50.  Cheap router from ebay CAD 15.  Within budget.

Actiually, as your own kit an well looked after, you might well have a bag/case that'll take a small mixer like the XR12 without needing to spend.  Also, you may have an old router knocking about that you can put into action.  If no tablet, then any Android phone is actually pretty workable with Mixing Station.  So your spend could genuinely be as low as CAD 325.

And, although your needs sound simple, it's the talking head shows that can be the more demanding, where good flexible EQ can be a life-saver.  Small gigs are a relative breeze with an analog mixer, admittedly, but with digital, you have all the toys (dynamics & FX) to add real polish.

Reality check...the XR12 retails here for $389 + 13% tax = $440. I'm still on a blackberry and don't own a tablet. Fire tablets are $100 up here.

Everyone - let's just take digital off the table, it's not going to happen. What's the best options in budget for analog? Front runners for me right now, all $550 CAD or less:

Soundcraft Signature 10 or 12
Allen Heath Zed-10 or Zed60-10fx or Zed-10fx
Mackie ProFXv2 8 or 12
Soundcraft EPM8 or EFX8
Yamaha ???

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 06:41:47 pm »

I'm still on a blackberry and don't own a tablet.

Cool so we have established you are a Luddite.  That's not a big deal we get it and are here to help.  However we can't support spending good money on obsolete technology.  Your meetings/shows deserve better.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Stone

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 07:01:50 pm »

Cool so we have established you are a Luddite.  That's not a big deal we get it and are here to help.  However we can't support spending good money on obsolete technology.  Your meetings/shows deserve better.

Uh, again, every digital option has been out of budget. The XR12 itself would be ok if it didn't need other hardware to make it useful. Even if I were going digital, I doubt I'd want a unit that is tablet/remote only. If I could buy a Touchmix 8 for $500 this would be a different conversation.

Pretty much everyone here is saying spend $1000+ because for some reason they can't recommend a budget analog mixer as though such things don't exist. Which are best? Is the Mackie going to crap out in 6 months? Does a Zed warrant the higher price over a Soundcraft? Do the preamps on one of them sound better or have more headroom? Is one easier to deal with routing?

Jay Marr

« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2018, 07:03:23 pm »

Thus illustrating my only complaint with this forum.
You ask for advice on a product...people try to tell you it's the wrong product.
If you don't comply....you're get insulted.

All he asked for was recommendations.  He has already stated digital is off the table. 
People need to get over the fact that not everyone is looking for your "let me tell what you're doing wrong" advice.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2018, 07:18:06 pm »

Uh, again, every digital option has been out of budget. The XR12 itself would be ok if it didn't need other hardware to make it useful. Even if I were going digital, I doubt I'd want a unit that is tablet/remote only. If I could buy a Touchmix 8 for $500 this would be a different conversation.

Pretty much everyone here is saying spend $1000+ because for some reason they can't recommend a budget analog mixer as though such things don't exist. Which are best? Is the Mackie going to crap out in 6 months? Does a Zed warrant the higher price over a Soundcraft? Do the preamps on one of them sound better or have more headroom? Is one easier to deal with routing?

I don't think there is and discernible difference with speech in any mixers in this class.  WRT routing, what routing?  They don't have groups and such. 

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2018, 07:19:05 pm »

Thus illustrating my only complaint with this forum.
You ask for advice on a product...people try to tell you it's the wrong product.
If you don't comply....you're get insulted.

All he asked for was recommendations.  He has already stated digital is off the table. 
People need to get over the fact that not everyone is looking for your "let me tell what you're doing wrong" advice.

That's not an insult,  it's an observation.  Giving legs to bad ideas is emotional validation not advice.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Bob Stone

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2018, 07:52:33 pm »

I don't think there is and discernible difference with speech in any mixers in this class.  WRT routing, what routing?  They don't have groups and such.

The signature 12 has groups. Or just in terms of auxes and fx routing and usb sources and such.

It was insulting actually but that's ok, I have a thick skin. If you hadn't noticed, the thing precluding digital for me is more to do with budget than me being old fashion. As I said earlier in the thread, I don't want to spend a pile of money until I see where this goes. Every opportunity since I've looked at getting back into this could be served by a pretty basic 4 channel mixer or even my 15 year old DJ mixer in a lot of cases. A couple mics and some stereo background music sources don't need an expensive digital mixer.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2018, 08:07:56 pm »

I suggest browsing pawn shops and craigslist (or it's Canadian equivalent).

At this point in history the analog mixer is unlikely to advance further than it was 10 years ago.  What you saw is what you get, today.

For C$400 you can probably find a original (silver face) Yamaha 01V.  12 XLR inputs, 2 stereo line inputs, SPX-90 effects.  Flexible routing, 4 band parametric EQ on each input and on each mix.  Not a tiny micro-mixer but it does a whole lot and meets your budget.

You "needs" are like the sign I saw in a print shop:  'Good  Fast  Cheap - pick any two."
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.