ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Eqing with subs  (Read 4001 times)

Geert Friedhof

Re: Eqing with subs
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 05:41:35 AM »

When working with a larger system, where the mains and (infra)subs cross at 60 Hz or something around that, i put the mains and subs on different matrices, and by doing so have instant control over the 'sound' and 'punchyness' of the bass. No sub on aux needed.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 11:44:42 AM »

When working with a larger system, where the mains and (infra)subs cross at 60 Hz or something around that, i put the mains and subs on different matrices, and by doing so have instant control over the 'sound' and 'punchyness' of the bass. No sub on aux needed.

Isn't that the same thing?  Having the subs on a separate out?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 02:17:07 PM »

Isn't that the same thing?  Having the subs on a separate out?

Nope. Sub on aux is on a per channel basis, and sending the aux output to the subs.

I send LR to the sub matrix (mono summed or stereo) and controil the lowest octaves from there. Much easier.

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 03:31:42 PM »

Hey everyone,

I've been using a dbx analog RTA for a while now both for live sound and recording because:

1) Im old and I just don't hear the nuances I used to
2) The tool is pretty darn accurate and it really never disappoints.
Whether you use the RTA as a primary means to dial in your sound or as barometer to check what your ears told you, its pretty reliable; When all freq bands are in the green the sound is close to perfect.

I was running a set of old Community XLT 43s, and 1 old boutique JBL sub. The sound has been satisfactory but never really had the kick thumping with this old sub. I recently bought 2 new JBL PRX818XLF 1500 watt subs, and i'm trying to dial the system in.

Even with these brand new large subs, I cant seem to get that perfect chest moving kick drum response, if i'm trusting the RTA. I can see (and hear) that the equing is correct, but the subs merely fill in the missing low end frequencies but don't really punch.

My question is: is it still considered best practices to boost and cut frequencies in the low range to achieve that desired sound, even though the instruments are telling me there's way too much low end, or should I be striving to have that RTA reading correctly while achieving the desired punch.

The JBLs actually come with a wifi connection where you can use an app to eq the sub internally. I did read one post that said cutting 80hz is a good starting point.

Any tips on this is much appreciated.
I would first verify that the system works properly.

Using a Sine wave generator. sweep through the speakers frequency range and listen if there is abnormality in the system. Tops only, subs, and then the combination of both tops and subs.

If you hear while you combining the tops and subs that there is a drop in certain frequencies, then you have a phase issue and eq will not help much.

That's an easy step before going into next level of Transfer function and phase alignment. (Smaart, systune)

I use eq a lot of times on subs. the best way to achieve it is by using parametric equalizer, narrow Q, Boost it and sweep it through the low frequency until you get your desired response. then widen the Q.

Enjoy
Yoel Farkas.

Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »

I would first verify that the system works properly.

Using a Sine wave generator. sweep through the speakers frequency range and listen if there is abnormality in the system. Tops only, subs, and then the combination of both tops and subs.

If you hear while you combining the tops and subs that there is a drop in certain frequencies, then you have a phase issue and eq will not help much.

That's an easy step before going into next level of Transfer function and phase alignment. (Smaart, systune)

I use eq a lot of times on subs. the best way to achieve it is by using parametric equalizer, narrow Q, Boost it and sweep it through the low frequency until you get your desired response. then widen the Q.

Enjoy
Yoel Farkas.

Very good advice IMO.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 12:48:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 26 queries.