ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha LS9-32 question  (Read 5112 times)

Alan Ellison

Yamaha LS9-32 question
« on: October 05, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »

Hi Forum, I am new here and am a keyboardist in my church's praise team. We don't have a dedicated sound technician who is very experienced so I am trying to learn our church's new LS9 mixing board after it has been installed. I have watched several tutorial videos and found help in adding effects to channels but I have not found any step by step advice about connecting a keyboard in STEREO to the LS9. Currently the keyboard is running thru one channel so I assume it is MONO. Is it as simple as taking the L and R outputs of the keyboard into two channels on the LS9 and panning one left and one right? What other settings on those two channels are important to generate a stereo output? Any help or video tutorial suggestion is very appreciated.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: Yamaha LS9-32 question
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 11:31:52 AM »

Hi Forum, I am new here and am a keyboardist in my church's praise team. We don't have a dedicated sound technician who is very experienced so I am trying to learn our church's new LS9 mixing board after it has been installed. I have watched several tutorial videos and found help in adding effects to channels but I have not found any step by step advice about connecting a keyboard in STEREO to the LS9. Currently the keyboard is running thru one channel so I assume it is MONO. Is it as simple as taking the L and R outputs of the keyboard into two channels on the LS9 and panning one left and one right? What other settings on those two channels are important to generate a stereo output? Any help or video tutorial suggestion is very appreciated.

Alan, There isn't much more to it then that.   Is the sound system in your Church a "stereo" sound system?
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Alan Ellison

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 11:55:19 AM »

Alan, There isn't much more to it then that.   Is the sound system in your Church a "stereo" sound system?

I was not there when the LS9 was initially set up so I am not sure if it is running in stereo. That is an unknown right now. I will check if the "omni outs" 15 & 16 are both connected. I assume if they are both connected then it is running stereo? Maybe I should try to pan a vocal channel left and right and see if I hear the separation?

TomBoisseau

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:22:56 PM »

Alan,

I'd also seriously consider whether or not there is really any advantage in running the keyboard (or anything for that matter) in stereo.  Remember the people sitting on the mid to far side areas of the room may not hear the other side speakers very well, assuming that is how your system is set up.

Tom

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 12:43:34 PM »

I've seen some install companies give you "stereo outs" at the booth but they internally sum to mono in the DSP rack in the back.

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 02:05:03 PM »

The upside the running stereo from your keyboards is if it's being recorded you don't lose your. L+R balance for some presets .
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »

Stereo patches on keyz usually doesn’t sound good when summed to mono.

Most keyz sums to mono when only one audio cable is connected.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 07:01:57 PM »

Maybe I should try to pan a vocal channel left and right and see if I hear the separation?

That would be a quick test to see if the system is set up as stereo left right.

How old is the system?

Alan Ellison

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 08:22:05 AM »

That would be a quick test to see if the system is set up as stereo left right.

How old is the system?

The sound system is only about 5 years old. I am using a Roland RD700NX stage piano and a Kurzweil PC361 and thought these would both sound better going stereo. We have been running a mono DI box for years thru this sound system for these keyboards.

I guess I just want to hear how they sound in stereo but I don't know enough about the LS9 board to feel comfortable executing the switch. That is why I am asking on this forum if someone has experience with the Yamaha LS9.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »

The sound system is only about 5 years old. I am using a Roland RD700NX stage piano and a Kurzweil PC361 and thought these would both sound better going stereo. We have been running a mono DI box for years thru this sound system for these keyboards.

I guess I just want to hear how they sound in stereo but I don't know enough about the LS9 board to feel comfortable executing the switch. That is why I am asking on this forum if someone has experience with the Yamaha LS9.
You're right in that it would be as simple as connecting both channels of the KeysOut to two channels on the LS9, and panning one left and panning the other right. Good idea to then "channel link" at this point, so future gain/fader changes will affect both channels simultaneously. [CHANNEL JOB --> CH LINK; press and hold "sel" on the first channel, and while doing so, press "sel" of second channel will link the two. Make sure your settings like fader position and gain are already matching before doing this, otherwise the console will memorize the difference between the two and keep that consistent as well.)

Outputs: Yep, check that both Omni15 and Omni16 are in use. Double check the output port assignment to ensure that they're being fed StereoL/StereoR as opposed to a matrix or other output option.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 10:13:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.