ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: New Midas console?  (Read 96133 times)

Andrien (No Last Name)

Re: New Midas console?
« Reply #230 on: April 24, 2021, 06:48:22 AM »

Going by the Midas website the one they sell for the pro series is multimode fibre and I would expect the HD-96 to be no different.

https://www.midasconsoles.com/product.html?modelCode=P0ATM
Thanks, the funny part is that DN9680 was defaulted to SM fiber
With most fiber connections, inside the device or right on the connector panel, there will be an SFP electrical to optical converter. SFP inserts are available starting at $10 so you can probably change to whatever fiber type you want with a little effort. I have swapped out standard MM connection for SM bidirectional connections that use only a single fiber rather than two fibers.

Mac
Thanks, I would need to check with the seller if changing that void the warranty. I would prefer to use BiDi SFP as it is much more convenient and also saves on the fiber bundles.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #231 on: April 24, 2021, 11:27:53 AM »

Thanks, the funny part is that DN9680 was defaulted to SM fiber

That's because MM can't reach the 1000m distance that the DN9680 is rated at.

I've always thought it a shame that audio somehow (in my experience) standardized on MM and video on SM.  SM is better and the disparate needs complicates inventory.

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #232 on: April 24, 2021, 10:23:52 PM »

I've always thought it a shame that audio somehow (in my experience) standardized on MM and video on SM.  SM is better and the disparate needs complicates inventory.
Agree, and even better if the industry makes it easier to just use same standard as on networking product where SFP are very easy to be replaced per needs. The price difference between SM and MM is not much nowadays as manufacturing precision get higher and cheaper and most of the time we could just reuse SM bundled core installed in building facility.
If approved, might ask the distributor if possible to replace the MM modules to SM on the console.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Fiber issues
« Reply #233 on: April 24, 2021, 11:01:21 PM »

In an early time, the cost of both the fiber and the equipment to use it were significantly more expensive for SM than MM, and MM has plenty of bandwidth to use with audio at reasonable fiber lengths. With its much higher bandwidth video needed SM from the get go to get to those same reasonable lengths, so video used SM and audio was fine with saving money with MM. Today that price disparity is not so much so SM becomes much more attractive for audio so that fiber inventories can be combined. AFAIK using BiDi SFPs also requires SM fiber.

The only downsides to SM is that it is more sensitive to cleanliness, and AFAIK can't be used with expanded beam connectors.

Mac

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Fiber issues
« Reply #234 on: April 25, 2021, 01:52:05 AM »

[..] The only downsides to SM is that it is more sensitive to cleanliness, and AFAIK can't be used with expanded beam connectors.

There may be others as well, but it looks like at least 3M makes an expanded beam connector that will do SM (although the insertion loss is lower for that connector with MM).

-Russ

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #235 on: April 25, 2021, 04:24:29 PM »

There may be others as well, but it looks like at least 3M makes an expanded beam connector that will do SM (although the insertion loss is lower for that connector with MM).

-Russ

That's pretty cool that they can get 12 cores into that connector, but I wish you could do that with an HMA connector like the one Digico uses. That 3M connector looks pretty flimsy.

Mac

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #236 on: April 25, 2021, 05:29:42 PM »

That's pretty cool that they can get 12 cores into that connector, but I wish you could do that with an HMA connector like the one Digico uses. That 3M connector looks pretty flimsy.

Looks like you can (up to four channels, anyway) (although the Optocore standard itself is sadly MM only).

-Russ

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #237 on: April 25, 2021, 09:05:16 PM »

In an early time, the cost of both the fiber and the equipment to use it were significantly more expensive for SM than MM, and MM has plenty of bandwidth to use with audio at reasonable fiber lengths. With its much higher bandwidth video needed SM from the get go to get to those same reasonable lengths, so video used SM and audio was fine with saving money with MM. Today that price disparity is not so much so SM becomes much more attractive for audio so that fiber inventories can be combined. AFAIK using BiDi SFPs also requires SM fiber.

The only downsides to SM is that it is more sensitive to cleanliness, and AFAIK can't be used with expanded beam connectors.

Mac
I think most of this can be solved simply by making replacing SFP modules easier, a bit sad that Midas missed opportunity to move SM on Heritage but they probably consider more people used it as complement units to Pro series which still uses MM on the Hypermac. Maybe some consideration is that long distance SM modules are known to be very hot and may cause issue if some random guys just install it without consideration.

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #238 on: May 03, 2021, 10:24:11 PM »

https://www.midasconsoles.com/product.html?modelCode=P0BHN
At last the product page is available, but then the description imply that it can only be connected in Apple environment. Hopefully they do release editors on PC/Android too.

edit:Alas, they took down the page  :-[
« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 06:20:27 AM by Andrien (No Last Name) »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2021, 11:03:31 PM »

https://www.midasconsoles.com/product.html?modelCode=P0BHN
At last the product page is available, but then the description imply that it can only be connected in Apple environment. Hopefully they do release editors on PC/Android too.

Midas editors/apps were Apple-only for the Pro series.  With the same Midas folks doing the design I doubt we'll see Midas with a Windows editor, although a Linux version is an unlikely possibility.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #239 on: May 03, 2021, 11:03:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.