ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: New Midas console?  (Read 96272 times)

Robert Lofgren

Re: New Midas console?
« Reply #200 on: January 21, 2021, 03:59:24 PM »

Tim, I understand why he couldn’t give a straight answer at the time since the architecture is slightly confusing for the non-initiated 8)

The physical mixer has 8 combo inputs (mic/line), 8 trs inputs (line) and 8 xlr + 8 trs outputs. In addition to that you have several options for digital inputs/outputs (aes50, usb, sdcard, aes3, soundgrid (TBA) and dante (VERY soon!).

The mixer has 40+8 mixing channels. Each mixing channel can be either mono or stereo and the number of mixing channels always stays the same. This means that you can mix up to 48 mono (48ch) or 48 stereo (96ch) sources in any combination within the 48 mixing channels. Within reason, a mixing channel configured as stereo can in certain circumstances handle dual-mono depending on your audio source(s). It is not possible to mix 96 true mono sources on 96 faders.

It is actually possible to trick the wing into using the mixbuses as for extra inputs if you are in desperate need, but this comes at a price of losing out on the 16 rack-fx for each mixbus being used. This will give you an extra 16 sources (mono or stereo) should you really need them.

All mixbuses, main buses and matrixes are fully stereo. It is not possible to split them (e.g. 16 stereo into 32 mono mixbuses) to gain more mono outputs.

The routing matrix can route any input to any output outside of the mixing channels.

It is still true that the wing firmware is constantly updated with new features and I know that there is much more to come.

Btw, I must mention that the x32/m32 recently got dca pop-groups. That is a pretty neat feature. It was also hinted that this was just a step towards user layers. Time will tell.....

As for the hd96 - I’ve seen several posts on facebook where users are showing their new shiny console.

So.. is the Wing a 16/24/32/40/48 input mixer?  How many mono inputs can be accessed and brought to mix?  When I attended a demo about 11 months ago the rep could not answer this question.  I've asked it in the Lounge, last year, but there was no definitive answer as the firmware was being updated almost daily.

There are several things the Wing does that would be useful to me, but only if the input count is sufficient.

As for the Heritage HD-96.  I'll believe it exists as more than engineering prototypes when my Midas rep drops one off for a demo.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2021, 06:08:46 AM »

As for the hd96 - I’ve seen several posts on facebook where users are showing their new shiny console.

I have mixed on one. Not an engineering prototype but an actual console sold and delivered to a venue.
It's hard to tell why there is no documentation available on the Midas website, maybe their user manual is constantly rewritten due to FW uptakes? IDK.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2021, 07:41:12 AM »

I have mixed on one. Not an engineering prototype but an actual console sold and delivered to a venue.
It's hard to tell why there is no documentation available on the Midas website, maybe their user manual is constantly rewritten due to FW uptakes? IDK.

AFAIK that is whey there is no real manual for the X32 as it got updated so much that any manual would become out of date pretty quickly.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2021, 09:20:17 AM »

I have talked to the guy writing the manual for the hd96 so I know that there are a manual in the works. I don’t know the current status though...

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2021, 10:52:38 AM »

I have talked to the guy writing the manual for the hd96 so I know that there are a manual in the works. I don’t know the current status though...

It’s not just the lack of a manual but the complete lack of any presence on their website.  If a company can’t fully get behind and promote a product in a modern fashion and in the same manner as the rest of their product line then it’s entirely to be expected that people won’t consider it a viable product.  In this industry that means people won’t be buying.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2021, 02:36:12 PM »

Thanks, Robert.  That's far more succinct and complete than any other info I've gotten in 10 months.

Tim, I understand why he couldn’t give a straight answer at the time since the architecture is slightly confusing for the non-initiated 8)

The physical mixer has 8 combo inputs (mic/line), 8 trs inputs (line) and 8 xlr + 8 trs outputs. In addition to that you have several options for digital inputs/outputs (aes50, usb, sdcard, aes3, soundgrid (TBA) and dante (VERY soon!).

The mixer has 40+8 mixing channels. Each mixing channel can be either mono or stereo and the number of mixing channels always stays the same. This means that you can mix up to 48 mono (48ch) or 48 stereo (96ch) sources in any combination within the 48 mixing channels. Within reason, a mixing channel configured as stereo can in certain circumstances handle dual-mono depending on your audio source(s). It is not possible to mix 96 true mono sources on 96 faders.

It is actually possible to trick the wing into using the mixbuses as for extra inputs if you are in desperate need, but this comes at a price of losing out on the 16 rack-fx for each mixbus being used. This will give you an extra 16 sources (mono or stereo) should you really need them.

All mixbuses, main buses and matrixes are fully stereo. It is not possible to split them (e.g. 16 stereo into 32 mono mixbuses) to gain more mono outputs.

The routing matrix can route any input to any output outside of the mixing channels.

It is still true that the wing firmware is constantly updated with new features and I know that there is much more to come.

Btw, I must mention that the x32/m32 recently got dca pop-groups. That is a pretty neat feature. It was also hinted that this was just a step towards user layers. Time will tell.....

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2021, 02:56:54 PM »

But I still don’t remember why I walked into a room ;-)

Thanks, Robert.  That's far more succinct and complete than any other info I've gotten in 10 months.

Daniel Levi

« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2021, 03:09:30 PM »

But I still don’t remember why I walked into a room ;-)

Ah, so you are the one that entered, farted and then left, tut tut.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2021, 03:37:22 PM »

I seen a Wing Dante Card is out today.

Douglas R. Allen

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2021, 03:55:22 PM »

I told you it would be “very soon”  8)

I seen a Wing Dante Card is out today.

Douglas R. Allen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2021, 03:55:22 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.