ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: New Midas console?  (Read 96252 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: New Midas console?
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2019, 10:42:11 PM »

Dual lamp connectors on a $35k board?  They couldn't install an LED strip for that money?

Not to pick on you Art, but once again i am amazed at how far the goalposts have really moved WRT Professional Audio Consoles and Price.  In the not so distant past, 35k bought you a second tier console that was maybe 40x16 IO.  No processing; barely any EQ.  An XL4 was 3-4 times more than that and STILL had nothing more than some routing and EQ.  The processing available on this new console would have cost at LEAST a million dollars [BEFORE adjusting for inflation] and would have filled a 24 foot truck by itself.

We live in amazing times...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2019, 01:24:16 AM »

Dual lamp connectors on a $35k board?  They couldn't install an LED strip for that money?

Hey, I can't even get a press release from my Music Tribe reps at that price. . .
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Roland Clarke

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2019, 04:35:27 AM »

Not to pick on you Art, but once again i am amazed at how far the goalposts have really moved WRT Professional Audio Consoles and Price.  In the not so distant past, 35k bought you a second tier console that was maybe 40x16 IO.  No processing; barely any EQ.  An XL4 was 3-4 times more than that and STILL had nothing more than some routing and EQ.  The processing available on this new console would have cost at LEAST a million dollars [BEFORE adjusting for inflation] and would have filled a 24 foot truck by itself.

We live in amazing times...

And I’d like to remind you of this 10 years from now.  Hardware wise they could probably sell this for $10,000.  I know people talk R&D, but it’s only code.  35k is a big ask as you can get into Yamaha and Avid are only a little above that.  We all know the heritage behind the Midas offering and that makes it still all it’s money.  At 10-23k I would hazard they would sell 10 x the amount.  People have made the point about software cost to develope, but if this was the case there wouldn’t be a DAW under 4K.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2019, 07:04:02 AM »

People have made the point about software cost to develope, but if this was the case there wouldn’t be a DAW under 4K.
Most DAWs sell in the hundreds of thousands to millions of units, however, and with pricing starting around $400, and going up well over $1000, they'll recoup those "only code" costs pretty darn quick.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Art Nadelman

« Reply #154 on: August 28, 2019, 12:55:53 PM »

Not to pick on you Art

I don't feel picked on.  I was just shocked when I saw those 2 connectors.  And to think, I was thinking about trashing my 2 XLR gooseneck LEDs that I still have hanging around.  Perhaps they'll find a new home not the back of a new Midas console.

Jeffrey Knorr - JRKLabs.com

• JRKLabs.com
« Reply #155 on: August 28, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »

And I’d like to remind you of this 10 years from now.  Hardware wise they could probably sell this for $10,000.  I know people talk R&D, but it’s only code.  35k is a big ask as you can get into Yamaha and Avid are only a little above that.  We all know the heritage behind the Midas offering and that makes it still all it’s money.  At 10-23k I would hazard they would sell 10 x the amount.  People have made the point about software cost to develope, but if this was the case there wouldn’t be a DAW under 4K.

There's nothing stopping them from dropping the price down the road--they did this with the X32.

Jeff

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #156 on: August 28, 2019, 04:21:39 PM »

So I watched some of the videos.  Will it make tea and light my cigar? (Pink Floyd trivia hint)

A lot of "they're still working on this, but...." in the video Taylor Hall graciously re-posted but the stuff that does work addresses some of my previous complaints about the Pro series.

When our Midas rep pops by with one to demo for a couple weeks I'll kick the tires and take it for a drive... so that means sometime in 2021, probably. :D

Seriously, this looks and acts more like I'd expect a Midas to work. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #157 on: August 28, 2019, 04:25:59 PM »

I think this offering is planned to be squarely in the middle of an entire line of consoles.  They'll pull a few features off and sell one at 20k [or lower.  HD96Core?].  And they'll make bigger surfaces/packages and sell them higher.

This model is what was used with the X32 and it's worked out pretty well for TMG.  It'll be interesting to see how it plays out at the next higher price point.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #158 on: August 28, 2019, 04:37:40 PM »

Most DAWs sell in the hundreds of thousands to millions of units, however, and with pricing starting around $400, and going up well over $1000, they'll recoup those "only code" costs pretty darn quick.

And there is NO hardware cost to the DAW software.  Once it's programmed, you just make copies.
For a manufacturer, the cost of tooling, programming, design, etc of the hardware can be quite large.  And as it's not likely they will sell thousands of these, it needs to be amortized over the projected quantities.  Plus the cost of actual manufacture is greater in small quantities . . .and so on. 
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2019, 04:41:50 PM »

And there is NO hardware cost to the DAW software.  Once it's programmed, you just make copies.

True - there aren't any hard costs associated with creating copies, but there are some real costs associated with support, firmware upgrades, bug fixes, and whatnot.

TMG's done a great job of sorting out the X32/M32 platform; it's nice and stable and pretty dependable. Allen & Heath has also done a great job of updating their dLive platform firmware. The version where they included Shure RF info was particularly awesome.

So, while they may not have to pay $$ to crank out each copy of the Heritage OS, they'll definitely have a bunch of time, money, and effort involved with keeping it current. Thankfully we don't have to pay any subscription costs for things like firmware and software updates!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2019, 04:41:50 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.