ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: New Midas console?  (Read 95592 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: New Midas console?
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 01:35:24 PM »

yea a higher channel count and bus count x32 / m32 would be cool with me. Quite simply , I am doing more and more gigs with In ear monitor rigs these days, and it eats my buses for breakfast. By the time I create stem sub mixes for drums, string sections, choirs, so on I'm out of gas. Also being able to to have buses mono or stereo is very slick , like the SQ. Very very helpful.

More channels of automix would be helpful.... 8 channels is lame! =)

That all means you bought the wrong console the first time around.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Peter Morris

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 10:03:45 PM »

I really hope Midas and behringer can deliver a product that can compete with Allen and Heaths DLive series in sound quality and power. They really need to make sure that the bus count can compete with a Dlive system ... along with the fx rack, otherwise allen and heath may get my money next year. Only issue is the dlive remote apps fall short compared to the m32 / x32 app. Which is kind of a big deal for an audio provider of my size.

I also really hope they change the block of 8 routing structure... multiband compressors available on all channels and buses? Graphics and parametrics on all buses , a beefier version of ultranet? built in Dante? I guess we will find out soon enough!

I don't understand why anybody would have an issue with the dLive MixPad or its companion OneMix.  You can adjust every thing - gain, EQ, GEQ, gates, compressors, DCA, Groups, names etc.

I think the app's by most manufactures are fine and do exactly what we need. You can also operate and program the desk with the Editor software on your computer, in fact you can replace the desk with one or even 2 touch screens and a computer.

I also don't think its appropriate in the pro world to be relying on a domestic 2.4/5 GHz ipad connection and for the app to be able to make show stopping changes such as configuring the desk ... way too may things to go wrong, may be OK for small bar band work etc. but ...

Regarding the new Midas - I suspect it will be a serious competitor to the dLive in terms of price and performance and will be similar in power/channel count to the ProX.  As a GUESS it will still use AES 50 and the existing racks.  I also suspect they will release a new M32 type of desk.  By doing that and having a couple of different surface sizes Midas will basically have the whole market space covered with 2 desks when considered along with the offerings from Behringer.   

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 11:32:27 PM »

In 2019 - will the brand name "Midas" imply top level, King Midas golden touch?  Or will it imply "super-Behringer"? 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2018, 01:37:31 AM »

I don't understand why anybody would have an issue with the dLive MixPad or its companion OneMix.  You can adjust every thing - gain, EQ, GEQ, gates, compressors, DCA, Groups, names etc.
Once you're used to Yamaha's StageMix and then step it up to the X/M32 Mix app (which is probably the best iPad app out there), it's very difficult to use the extremely limited MixPad app. There's plenty of work that needs to be done on that app to bring it close to the capabilities of the other manufacturer's apps. It's annoying that A&H doesn't take a look closer at the Yamaha and Behringer apps to see how it's done, because the sound, capabilities, features and value of the dLive is exceptional.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Peter Morris

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2018, 09:17:17 AM »

Once you're used to Yamaha's StageMix and then step it up to the X/M32 Mix app (which is probably the best iPad app out there), it's very difficult to use the extremely limited MixPad app. There's plenty of work that needs to be done on that app to bring it close to the capabilities of the other manufacturer's apps. It's annoying that A&H doesn't take a look closer at the Yamaha and Behringer apps to see how it's done, because the sound, capabilities, features and value of the dLive is exceptional.

FWIW I have StageMix, X32Mix, Midas Mixtender, iLive MixPad, dLive MixPad, dLive OneMix, SQ MixPad, SQ4You, Qu-Pad and Qu-Control on my iPad ... and I think they are all great.  I find the dLive and SQ apps very easy and logical to use. The latest dLive MixPad version 1.6 is much better than the first release.

I do realise that many people would like to control everything with an iPad but as Allen & Heath states "dLive MixPad is not intended for system set or memory access." .... and I think they are correct with that approach, although Im sure everyone else's mileage will differ.

I often do complex shows with 60 - 100 channels in which case I [or the shows engineer] will build a show file on the computer ahead of time. The dLive editor is great for that; it looks like and operates just like the desk. 

I also avoid mixing on an iPad, its so much better to mix on a real surface.... so much easier to grab a knob or fader and still keep your eyes on the stage for those critical moments compared to using an iPad. I see too many touring engineers staring at an iPad or computer screen and not really mixing.

I will use the iPad to help tune monitors or do a large mic up, or make small adjustments as you walk the venue . Occasionally for those small shows where you have to mix side of stage I will use an iPad to get out in front of the PA and adjust things.  One those occasions where I have done reasonable size shows [+1000 people] I have found that domestic WiFi link on an iPad not particularly reliable, certainly not something you would want to rely on for a live broadcast for example. Its fine at sound check ... and the audience arrive the venue turn on their free WiFi etc ...

The dLive is just great to use and operate. If the rumours I have heard are true, the new offerings from Midas will great as well  :)

« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 07:45:01 AM by Peter Morris »

Josh Hana

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 12:52:53 PM »

I've been hearing rumblings about it for the past year or so. I heard a few weeks ago from a friend that they're being used behind closed doors and may start getting out into the wild by February for field testing.

I was all for the Pro2 when they first came out, but had some very major and very scary issues with it, so I'm less enthusiastic these days. I still can't get over the fact that there are so many more options in the X32 than the Pro2. I've been nearly exclusively on the QL5/CL5 for the past year or two, and I feel like I have one hand tied behind my back when I get on a Pro2 these days. Only 6 FX slots, and I have to eat one of those if I want to insert a GEQ on a channel? Ugh.

Simon_Barrett

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 05:47:05 PM »

Speaking of the Midas and behringer apps for the computer... I have to say that I love the cross-platform-ness as they work on Linux natively. Whereas the other brands do not seem to have this.

It’s a shame as I would love to use a Linux machine to control an A&H console...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 10:38:46 PM »

Speaking of the Midas and behringer apps for the computer... I have to say that I love the cross-platform-ness as they work on Linux natively. Whereas the other brands do not seem to have this..
Say what you want about Music Group, they have, hands-down, the best software/UI team there is. As I say, every company looking to make software to work with their console should have someone who's an expert in the Behringer stuff show them how it's done. The software is really the only let-down on the dLive.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

John Chiara

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2018, 03:07:15 AM »

FWIW I have StageMix, X32Mix, Midas Mixtender, iLive MixPad, dLive MixPad, dLive OneMix, SQ MixPad, SQ4You, Qu-Pad and Qu-Control on my iPad ... and I think they are all great.  I find the dLive and SQ apps very easy and logical to use. The latest dLive MixPad version 1.6 is much better than the first rhelease.

I do realise that many people would like to control everything with an iPad but as Allen & Heath states "dLive MixPad is not intended for system set or memory access." .... and I think they are correct with that approach, although I sure everyone else's mileage will differ.

I often do complex shows with 60 - 100 channels in which case I [or the shows engineer] will build a show file on the computer ahead of time. The dLive editor is great for that; it looks like and operates just like the desk. 

I also avoid mixing on an iPad, its so much better to mix on a real surface.... so much easier to grab a knob or fader and still keep your eyes on the stage for those critical moments compared to using an iPad. I see too many touring engineers staring at an iPad or computer screen and not really mixing.

I will use the iPad to help tune monitors or do a large mic up, or make small adjustments as you walk the venue . Occasionally for those small shows where you have to mix side of stage I will more or less mix on an iPad.  One those occasions where I have done reasonable size shows [+1000 people] I have found that domestic WiFi link on an iPad not particularly reliable, certainly not something you would want to rely on for a live broadcast for example. Its fine at sound check ... and the audience arrive the venue turn on their free WiFi etc ...

The dLive is just great to use and operate. If the rumours I have heard are true, the new offerings from Midas will great as well  :)

Hmmm...3 years ago I mixed 5 shows for live streaming from Lincoln Center...using an X-32, Beldin Router and an iPad...with the router behind a concrete wall and a steel
Door.
Not one dropout.
For one man operations, total control in the tablet is a must...and in a way you can actually mix on.

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 04:28:40 AM »

I remember when myself and Paul Vannatto fought to get the x32/m32 editor for the raspberry pi. This automatically gave us the intel linux version as they are the same code.

I recently learned that Reaper now has experimental builds for intel and arm7 linux. That is pretty cool!

The x32 is now 7 years old on the market. How long was the ls9, it must have been something similar?

One thing that I like about the approach behringer/midas uses is that they don’t feel the need to come out with a new console every year or so and with that supports the product for a long time compared to some other companies that ditches previous products for the newer ones before even implementing announced features.

Behringer still have products that are +10 years in their catalog. That is pretty cool...

While I’m exited over what the future might have in its bag when it comes to mixers in general I have to admit that I’m pretty satisfied with what I have today and what it delivers. Anything new would just be the cherry on the top for me.

Speaking of the Midas and behringer apps for the computer... I have to say that I love the cross-platform-ness as they work on Linux natively. Whereas the other brands do not seem to have this.

It’s a shame as I would love to use a Linux machine to control an A&H console...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2018, 04:28:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.