ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Down

Author Topic: New Midas console?  (Read 95608 times)

Peter Morris

Re: New Midas console?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 01:26:55 AM »

Hmmm...3 years ago I mixed 5 shows for live streaming from Lincoln Center...using an X-32, Beldin Router and an iPad...with the router behind a concrete wall and a steel
Door.
Not one dropout.
For one man operations, total control in the tablet is a must...and in a way you can actually mix on.

I'm glad it worked for ... but I think you were lucky to get 2.4/5GHz to go reliably through a concrete wall / steel door.

The dLive does have full tablet/computer control of all functions, and full mix control of its functions on an iPad.

The desk set up is way more powerful and flexible than something like a M32, dare I say not even comparable. Its channel strip layout and bus structure are fully customizable. You can put any fader function anywhere you like, and you can determine what you would like the buses to do – EFX, Groups, Aux’s, Stereo Aux’s, Matrix, PFL etc. and you can run up to 4 surfaces on one mix rack / engine.

When you change the bus structure the desk needs to totally reconfigure itself and will not pass audio while doing so … These types of functions are not adjustable on your M32 and not something I want access to on an iPad.

It can run more than 800 channels on its network … and … and … Once you have delved into the advanced capabilities of this desk I can’t imagine be able or wanting to adjust everything on an iPad, but you can certainly do all you need to adjust a mix on the app  :)

In terms of price, performance and quality I don't think there is anything currently on the market that can match the dLive ... but I'm expecting it to have some serious completion with some new offerings from Midas shortly and maybe some others.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 01:37:18 AM by Peter Morris »

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2018, 07:16:47 PM »

Use for recording is off-topic to the live forums except as a value-added service.

On the contrary, virtual soundcheck can be a very useful tool.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2018, 08:28:06 PM »

96K would be marketing hype for live use.  Frankly NOBODY hears a difference in the sound coming from the PA that can be attributed *solely* to sample rate.

Lowering latency for IEM use is another matter but for many users is not an issue, either.

Use for recording is off-topic to the live forums except as a value-added service.

There's a fairly long thread over on GS in the remote recording section looking for small mixers that will do 96k for live classical music recording. There's really nothing out there that fills that niche in any sort of affordable price point. The company that I have started doing symphony recordings with do live to two track mixing and a 24 channel mixer that does 96k would be very useful. If it fits in the $2-3 grand price range. They're not going to pay $12-15 for a 12 fader Digico.

If the M32 actually did 96k, I would probably buy one.

Whether anyone can discern a difference in sound quality between 96k and 48k is really irrelevant. If your client wants you to work at 96k and you have to tell them, "Sorry, none of my gear will do 96k. But it's okay, because you can't hear a difference anyway". You just lost the gig.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

boburtz

• SR Forums
  • San Francisco Bay Area
    • SoundWizard Productions
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2018, 09:50:38 PM »

~  a 24 channel mixer that does 96k would be very useful. If it fits in the $2-3 grand price range.
A DM2000 can be had for less than that these days...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2018, 11:00:39 PM »

There's a fairly long thread over on GS in the remote recording section looking for small mixers that will do 96k for live classical music recording. There's really nothing out there that fills that niche in any sort of affordable price point. The company that I have started doing symphony recordings with do live to two track mixing and a 24 channel mixer that does 96k would be very useful. If it fits in the $2-3 grand price range. They're not going to pay $12-15 for a 12 fader Digico.

If the M32 actually did 96k, I would probably buy one.

Whether anyone can discern a difference in sound quality between 96k and 48k is really irrelevant. If your client wants you to work at 96k and you have to tell them, "Sorry, none of my gear will do 96k. But it's okay, because you can't hear a difference anyway". You just lost the gig.

If the recording is that critical then the live use is ancillary to that use.

As for selling what people think they want to buy one need only to look at Bose and Dell.. both do well by creating brand preference s.  I understand that many commercial decisions are not based in science, too.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Art Nadelman

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2018, 07:45:37 AM »

What about the Allen & Heath SQ line?  They are in that price range and can do up to 48 channels.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

A DM2000 can be had for less than that these days...
I'm getting a DM2000 as part of another deal I'm working on. But they're kinda big and heavy for easy transport.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Matt Greiner

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 02:58:49 PM »

Just as a follow-up to this thread, I just saw a much more "real" photo on one of the M32 user groups.  Just wondering if there is any new information that anyone on here is able to share?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 04:02:41 PM »

Just as a follow-up to this thread, I just saw a much more "real" photo on one of the M32 user groups.  Just wondering if there is any new information that anyone on here is able to share?

It's also in the ProX user group

Forum won't let me post an image.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Matt Greiner

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »

It's also in the ProX user group

Forum won't let me post an image.

Yeah I just tried to as well, I got an error saying the upload folder is full.  I'll try again later.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 05:23:02 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 28   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.