ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Mojave slow program loading on closed network  (Read 440 times)

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
Mac Mojave slow program loading on closed network
« on: February 24, 2020, 02:56:59 pm »

My machines at shows are always hooked up to a closed network, with no connection to the internet. I've noticed that my Macbooks running Mojave are crazy slow to open programs such as Finder or Reaper while connected to such a network. If I disable wifi or pull the ethernet, they load instantly.

Anybody here see that, know what it's about, or have suggestions on how to Google it?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 02:35:05 pm by Dan Richardson »
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

scottstephens

Re: Mac Mojave slow program loading on closed network
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2020, 02:56:50 pm »

Dan,

Just a thought, do you have iTunes open? That seems to mess with a lot of recording programs. At least it doesn't always like Pro Tools.

Scott

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2020, 03:14:23 pm »

My machines at shows are always hooked up to a closed network, with no connection to the internet. I've noticed that my Macbooks running Mojave are crazy slow to open programs such as Finder or Reaper while connected to such a network. If I disable wifi or pull the ethernet, they load instantly.

Anybody here see that, know what it's about, or have suggestions on how to Google it?

I have a similar problem on IOS devices
- Open music player
  - if connected to internet, my library comes up fast
  - if WiFi is off, my library comes up fast
  - if on a "closed" network, (at shows) it takes   f o r e v e r   to load my library.
I'm sure the app is doing a "phone home" routine, even though I have Apple Music turned off.  A real PITA.
I don't think I've tried my MBP booting on a closed network, but why do I think you're right?

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 09:15:42 am »

Just a thought, do you have iTunes open? That seems to mess with a lot of recording programs. At least it doesn't always like Pro Tools.

Nope. And it's not just recording programs. Finder, for instance.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Riley Casey

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 09:26:47 am »

What happens if you start the machines without a net connection, wifi off, network cable disconnected and only add the network connection after the machine has 'settled in' loading the OS from the drive and found it's place in the universe?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:43:31 pm »

What's happening is that you have a network connection, and the computer thinks you have an internet connection, and thus will try to connect to the internet for whatever reason.  Even though you're not doing anything internet related, there are processes that look for stuff online that run in the background.

The problem with a 'broken' internet connection is that the computer will try and wait for a response.

A solution that works is to set a static IP on the device and do NOT put any information in the router configuration. With no router, the computer will know that it can't get to the internet, so it won't try.  Magically, things will start to work better for you.

Note, that this seems to only work if it's done on the device itself.  This poses issues with DHCP configuration unless you can tell your DHCP server not to provide a router address.  That's not a common thing that's allowed to be done.  Setting devices with static IPs is pretty simple to do.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 12:43:31 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.