ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Passive Subwoofer Connection Help  (Read 1992 times)

Paul Lyons

Passive Subwoofer Connection Help
« on: October 04, 2018, 11:33:04 AM »

Hi all... Newbie here.  :)

We're having an outdoor event at our church in a couple weeks. One of the members has a small board, a Behringer NU4-6000 4 channel amp, a pair of passive mains and a passive sub. I've been charged with connecting this and getting the sound running. 

The owner of the equipment doesn't know how to connect it. He bought it used for this event. I've never used a subwoofer before and am clueless as to how to connect it through the amp.

I've read the manual for the NU4-6000 and am more confused than ever. Anyone with any familiarity as to how to do this? All help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Taylor Hall

Re: Passive Subwoofer Connection Help
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

Am I correct in assuming there were no cables included with the equipment?

Your amp only uses speakon outputs, so you should check to see if your speaker cabinets also have those type of connectors. If all this was purchased together, I would hope it at least is able to connect to the individual parts without homemade adapters... Premade speakon is expensive, but you can make your own for relatively cheap by buying the ends and appropriate cable. Connecting them to the amp is simple, just insert and twist, the connector will lock itself in place with an audible click. They only go in one way, so don't try to force it.

There isn't much difference in connecting the mains vs subs, the only thing you will need to do is activate the built in crossover so that you are not sending a full-range signal to the sub channel. That should be outlined in your manual.

Then you have to get signal to the amp from the mixing board. This is usually done with two XLR cables for your left and right channels. Plug those into the corresponding inputs on your amp. I'm pretty sure there is a setting on those amps to tell it whether to "clone" the signal to all the outputs from a stereo source, or to directly route each input to an output (ie the cable plugged into input 1, will only go to output 1, etc). You'll need to consult your manual there as well.

Make a dry run and connecting everything without powering it up and see if it makes more sense. If not, take some pictures and we can probably point you in the right direction.

There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Passive Subwoofer Connection Help
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.