ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonic Restomod: Retrofitting A Classic Loudspeaker With Modern Technology  (Read 77 times)

M. Erik Matlock

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Editor Live Sound International/ProSoundWeb
    • ErikMatlock.com

Sonic Restomod: Retrofitting A Classic Loudspeaker With Modern Technology
Restoring and modifying an Eastern Acoustic Works (EAW) KF750 three-way concert loudspeaker from the 90s with modern components.
By Bernie Broderick • October 4, 2018

Readers who are mechanically inclined will certainly understand the term “restomod.” But for those who aren’t familiar, the concept is simple – take the shell of an old car or truck and completely restore (or retrofit) it with modern components.

What you end up with is a vintage shell but with a modern, reliable engine, fuel injection, disc brakes, air conditioning and even a modern dashboard with all of the bells and whistles. From the outside it looks all original but from the inside, a lot has been changed.

As a mechanic and former racer (and current race-dad), I’ve found a way to apply my love of anything automotive to pro audio. HotRod, a division of the Truth In Audio (TIA) organization that I launched earlier this year, allows me to get my hands dirty, throw sparks, and create things that have never existed before.

The goal of restomodding an Eastern Acoustic Works (EAW) KF750 three-way concert loudspeaker, originally introduced in the 1990s, is something that I’ve had in mind for quite awhile. In fact, I first thought of doing it more than a decade ago but couldn’t really justify the effort...

Continue reading here: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/live-sound/sonic-restomod-retrofitting-a-classic-loudspeaker-with-modern-technology/
This space for rent.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 17 queries.