ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?  (Read 13773 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2021, 09:32:29 PM »

If you're already using SRX812P's as mains, I'd say figure out how to budget to get more of the exact same speaker.  They then sound the same as your mains AND now you've got spare inventory in the event something goes wrong.  If you lose a main, and have to suffer through 2 monitors on stage for a show, it's WAY better than being down an entire main for the night.

That being said, I'm hugely NOT a fan of powered speakers for monitors.  Having to supply power AND signal, then having potential controls that need to be mucked with on stage is just not for me.  But that's another discussion completely.

This is great advice, I do have a small pile of the coax's bt they are used for corporate confidence monitor gigs and such, not for loud rock acts.  The HPR's are get quite loud and hold up well but they are getting old and still fetch a good bit.  Many factors.

My brain is also basking in COVID so if I don't make any sense just say so!
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2021, 09:28:56 PM »

I warn people from buying budget speakers with FIR filters in them for monitor use. There is certainly latency with FIR and when you have a slower, budget device that latency can add up to a little too much. The Mackie SRM with the " Gunness Focusing " in them is a prime example. They have just enough latency from the processing that it is disturbing for me and I have had a few musicians over the years also mention a weirdness to them when used as monitors.

In general, FIR filters in use for monitors is a risky move. As mentioned, if the latency is too much, it will be noticed.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2021, 07:56:53 AM »

I'm looking at powered boxes in the sub $400 range, and they all appear to be about the same. Alto, Eon, ZLX, Mackie Thump, Behringer etc. Is there a box IN THIS PRICE RANGE that stands out?
 I'm interested in 12" as they'll be used for a loud Bar band as monitors. So I'd like to hear from those of you who have actually compared some of them.

If you don't mind used in that price range I still see EV SXA250's out there around that price. I have 4 of the sxa250's that I can't recall ever getting a complaint about. Although the wattage on paper may seem low the output and quality of output has been great. Worth a look.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch%20-%20EV/SxA250.pdf

Douglas R. Allen

Lev Raber

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2021, 10:25:12 AM »

Hey Mike, don't buy cheap monitors, they're useless for loud stages. All of my FOH speakers are powered now days, but all of my mons are passive (for the same reasons Brian Jojade mentioned).
Years ago I had someone to make for me a bunch of 12" coax wedges (couldn't afford Microwedges) based around B&C 12CX32 driver using B&C suggested specs. I used them bi-amp and full range with original B&C passive crossovers. I had about 15-17 of them.
The best small 12" mon ever!
Later I've sold them all not because they didn't perform, but only because by then I had a new boss- Mr. Rider, who dictated my brand name choices.
I believe you'll find many forum members, who still put them to good use today.
Anyway, go for the best used stuff, many affordable choices, if you spend your time looking around. For example, Yorkville EM378 or similar.
Always check the VC sizes, at least 3" for LF and HF drivers, otherwise the mon will not cut through.
I still have in my inventory several coax 10" wedges, TCS TM10X made by Carvin with B&C 10NCX drivers. Use them mostly for corporate events, because they have very small footprint.
I hope it helps.

Rick Powell

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2021, 05:25:59 PM »

Years ago I had someone to make for me a bunch of 12" coax wedges (couldn't afford Microwedges) based around B&C 12CX32 driver using B&C suggested specs. I used them bi-amp and full range with original B&C passive crossovers. I had about 15-17 of them.
The best small 12" mon ever!

That's what I did, only I made them myself, out of B&C 12FCX76s and their XO-4 passive crossover. I think they cost me around $450 apiece to build and coat with Duratex, but that was when birch plywood was cheap! They are loud, hi-fi, and get used in a lot of different situations from acoustic and jazz bands to loud rock.

Plans - https://soundforums.net/community/threads/free-monitor-plan-12-coaxial-smithers-wedge-by-michael-smithers.3768/

Some of my build pics - https://soundforums.net/community/threads/coaxial-wedge-collaboration.268/page-12
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 05:37:58 PM by Rick Powell »

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2021, 06:25:06 PM »

Hope this isn't too off topic, but how would you compare these DIY 12" coax wedges to commercial units? Bang for buck, audio quality, volume, durability, etc? I understand the "rider" aspect, but for many of us that is a non concern. I'm tired of deploying my old 15" powered mains as monitors and thinking DIY will get me more bang per buck...is that true or am I just fooling myself?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2021, 10:45:38 PM »

Hope this isn't too off topic, but how would you compare these DIY 12" coax wedges to commercial units? Bang for buck, audio quality, volume, durability, etc? I understand the "rider" aspect, but for many of us that is a non concern. I'm tired of deploying my old 15" powered mains as monitors and thinking DIY will get me more bang per buck...is that true or am I just fooling myself?

Building decent wooden boxes isn’t that difficult. For low end boxes, the economics don’t work out, but for higher end designs it is very feasible to make a very close copy for a fraction of the price if you have the tools available for construction. Resale value though may not cover cost of materials, let alone labor.
Brian Jojade

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2021, 11:01:10 PM »

Building decent wooden boxes isn’t that difficult. For low end boxes, the economics don’t work out, but for higher end designs it is very feasible to make a very close copy for a fraction of the price if you have the tools available for construction. Resale value though may not cover cost of materials, let alone labor.

Thanks! Sounds reasonable and along the lines of what I would expect. Would you consider the "Smithers wedge" referenced above with a B&C driver to be sufficiently "high end" to be worthwhile?

Rick Powell

« Reply #48 on: April 24, 2021, 06:55:25 PM »

Thanks! Sounds reasonable and along the lines of what I would expect. Would you consider the "Smithers wedge" referenced above with a B&C driver to be sufficiently "high end" to be worthwhile?

Soundwise, they are in the same league as, say, a JBL SRX 712 or a Radian Microwedge, if they are built well and sufficiently processed and powered. They won't ever get the resale value of a name-brand box and some people might have rider issues, but then again, they don't have the upfront price tag, either. Over the last 6 years, we have had a bunch of artists use them including pro touring musicians, and no real complaints.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:59:11 PM by Rick Powell »

John Schalk

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2021, 01:24:10 PM »

I replaced the multi-purpose, powered 12" speakers that I used almost exclusively for monitors with Turbosound TFM122M & 152M Flashline monitors a couple of years ago.  These are the non-powered "big brothers" to the cheaper TFX line.  They are co-axial monitors with a 3" VC, 1.4" exit high frequency device and both drivers are Neo so the wedges are super light.  MAP for the 12" version is $970, but I'm sure that the Music Tribe dealers on here can get you a much better price than that.  Unless you're planning on building a lot of boxes, I would think that the cost of the Turbo wedges is very competitive to building your own.  When you add in the warranty and better resale value it makes them worth a good look, IMHO.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2021, 01:24:10 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.