ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?  (Read 14119 times)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Re: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2021, 10:53:01 PM »

I replaced the multi-purpose, powered 12" speakers that I used almost exclusively for monitors with Turbosound TFM122M & 152M Flashline monitors a couple of years ago.  These are the non-powered "big brothers" to the cheaper TFX line.  They are co-axial monitors with a 3" VC, 1.4" exit high frequency device and both drivers are Neo so the wedges are super light.  MAP for the 12" version is $970, but I'm sure that the Music Tribe dealers on here can get you a much better price than that.  Unless you're planning on building a lot of boxes, I would think that the cost of the Turbo wedges is very competitive to building your own.  When you add in the warranty and better resale value it makes them worth a good look, IMHO.

Thanks John. Yeah, I was looking at the TFM122M's and thinking they were probably pretty close to the DIY boxes sound wise. For the DIY boxes, the B&C driver alone was over $400. Add a crossover, connectors, handles, baltic birch ply, a grill, plus paint and I figure the price difference is getting pretty small. Someone stated the DIY boxes cost them about $600 or so each, before plywood got expensive. I have a nice wood shop and making boxes is a snap, but they prob aren't going to be as slick or light as some of the molded boxes, and given I only need 4, not sure the cost savings will be that significant (esp vs time spent).

Lev Raber

« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 10:28:52 AM »

Thanks John. Yeah, I was looking at the TFM122M's and thinking they were probably pretty close to the DIY boxes sound wise. For the DIY boxes, the B&C driver alone was over $400. Add a crossover, connectors, handles, baltic birch ply, a grill, plus paint and I figure the price difference is getting pretty small. Someone stated the DIY boxes cost them about $600 or so each, before plywood got expensive. I have a nice wood shop and making boxes is a snap, but they prob aren't going to be as slick or light as some of the molded boxes, and given I only need 4, not sure the cost savings will be that significant (esp vs time spent).

Here we go again. Last time I checked a used pair of Yorkville TX2M wedges in good condition was only $700 (all B&C drivers BTW!). Yes, they are bi-amp only, but if you want to use them full range, you can find decent passive 1.2K crossovers at $50 to $80 range. Just a thought.

John Schalk

« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »

@Mark

My only two issues with the TFM line are both pretty minor.  First of all, the only handle is on the bottom.  It's in a great spot for carrying the wedge around, but useless for moving the wedge around on stage.  The end pieces (plastic) are inset so there's a small lip you can use, but the lip isn't very big, especially if you're wearing gloves.  The second issue is that the grill could stand to be one gauge heavier.  It just feels like a wanna-be rock star could dent it pretty easily if they put their boot on the wedge and lean into it too much.  I also wish that they were 60 x 60 instead of 60 x 40, but their horn pattern hasn't proven to be an issue in use.

FWIW I got bags for mine from Zeus Covers, but given the location of the handle on these wedges, building road cases that hold the wedges standing up would be the ideal solution.  Maybe that's the place to invest your shop time?

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2021, 02:14:38 PM »

Thanks John! The TFM's look pretty nice, but yep, surprising how many mfg's can't figure out proper handle placement. My old EV's have great handle placement, but weigh a ton!

BTW - I've built ATA road cases before (even have a pneumatic rivet gun). But I've decided, for what I do, soft cases and covers are preferable. Road cases add a significant amount of weight. Most of my gigs are local and I'm usually the one carrying the boxes. But if you have hired crew or have to ship gear around, road cases all the way baby!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2021, 02:59:14 PM »

Thanks John! The TFM's look pretty nice, but yep, surprising how many mfg's can't figure out proper handle placement. My old EV's have great handle placement, but weigh a ton!

BTW - I've built ATA road cases before (even have a pneumatic rivet gun). But I've decided, for what I do, soft cases and covers are preferable. Road cases add a significant amount of weight. Most of my gigs are local and I'm usually the one carrying the boxes. But if you have hired crew or have to ship gear around, road cases all the way baby!

All of our trucks have a minimum interior box width of 92".  We standardized on things 45/22.5/24/30 inches for the vast majority of our cases.  For things that don't need cases but do need wheels, we build dolly boards using those dimensions and use ratchet straps to hold gear to them.  If you need to hand carry, no problem.  Never a big case to hide or back-load into the truck or trailer. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »

Here we go again. Last time I checked a used pair of Yorkville TX2M wedges in good condition was only $700 (all B&C drivers BTW!). Yes, they are bi-amp only, but if you want to use them full range, you can find decent passive 1.2K crossovers at $50 to $80 range. Just a thought.

Yorkville TX lives again on the LAB!   That line was great value, real transducers, good construction, etc.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2021, 08:15:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 19 queries.