ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?  (Read 14062 times)

Michael Storey

• San Jose, CA
Re: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 12:33:27 AM »

I've been impressed with the Turbosound iX series, considering the price point.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2019, 01:05:09 PM »

The best I’ve used at this price point is the FBT X-Lite 12a. I had the EV ZLX12p, Yamaha DBR12 and Alto TS212a all here to compare and the FBT was noticeably louder and clearer than all of these. The RCF 312 (and 712 depending on price in your area) would definitely be worth auditioning as well!

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2019, 02:33:41 PM »

This sounds like a definite volume competition
Loud monitors are like drugs, the more you want from them, the more you need from them next time.
  Get the band in line as the earlier poster said and deal with immature stage volume. Before you all go deaf👂
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2019, 02:49:04 PM »

If you need loud and cheap you probably can't find it in a powered box.

My vote is to go with the tried and true Yamaha club wedges and a smal amp rack. Amps are cheap and light nowadays. Yammy Clubs are the BFH of the cheap monitor world.

Another vote for Yamaha Club series. We installed some Yamaha CM10Vs powered by Behringer NU3000DSP as part of a super-low budget high school theatre system. Built DSP presets using the Yamaha provided numbers and have had zero issues. Gets very loud for the price and surprisingly stable. The boxes look more expensive than they are, too.

Kevin_Tisdall

• Milford, CT
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2019, 04:49:52 PM »

I'm looking at powered boxes in the sub $400 range, and they all appear to be about the same. Alto, Eon, ZLX, Mackie Thump, Behringer etc. Is there a box IN THIS PRICE RANGE that stands out?
 I'm interested in 12" as they'll be used for a loud Bar band as monitors. So I'd like to hear from those of you who have actually compared some of them.

Another vote for the EV ZLX12p but you might find some dsr112 yamahas used if you really scrounge around.  Those would be louder but I actually think the EV's sound better until you really press them.

--Kevin

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2019, 09:54:19 PM »

I've mentioned this on other threads.  I've had Alto SXM12s on the same stage with ZLX12s.  Even standing right in front of the EV, I could hear my singing from the Alto better.  Some is because of the angle, but the EV's have a DJ voicing.  Sound great by themselves, but when a band gets going all the bottom gets swamped and the highs create feedback without chopping the top.  This is with the "neutral" Live preset and either the flat or wedge preset on the Alto.
If you're running things like keyboards though the wedges then the EV's are a better low cost solution if you can't afford things like DXRs.  But for vocals only, the Altos are the best sub $500 I've used.

Pat Cognitore

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2019, 10:19:20 PM »

JBL PRX712s get pretty loud, I've used then successfully as monitors in difficult venues many times. Probably can be found used at your price point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2019, 06:02:05 AM »

I've mentioned this on other threads.  I've had Alto SXM12s on the same stage with ZLX12s.  Even standing right in front of the EV, I could hear my singing from the Alto better.  Some is because of the angle, but the EV's have a DJ voicing.  Sound great by themselves, but when a band gets going all the bottom gets swamped and the highs create feedback without chopping the top.  This is with the "neutral" Live preset and either the flat or wedge preset on the Alto.
If you're running things like keyboards though the wedges then the EV's are a better low cost solution if you can't afford things like DXRs.  But for vocals only, the Altos are the best sub $500 I've used.
Alto discontinued those monitors.  Samson has a box that appears near identical.  I picked one up and am going to pull the driver and have a look. 

The quick 10 minute shop run ot sounded fine. 

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave milton

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2019, 04:00:01 PM »

Alto discontinued those monitors.  Samson has a box that appears near identical.  I picked one up and am going to pull the driver and have a look. 

The quick 10 minute shop run ot sounded fine. 

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I'd be very interested in what your checkout reveals.  I've also found those (now unavailable) Altos to be pretty decent for the money, and I've also noticed that the Samsons look peculiarly similar.  But I can't imagine the Samsons being anything other than pretty awful, as I've never seen anything of their stuff be much more so. 
Then again, remember how when we all universally hated anything Behringer?  That's certainly different of late, ain't it?
Times and things do change sometimes.

PLEASE post whatever you find with that Samson monitor. 

d.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »

I'd be very interested in what your checkout reveals.  I've also found those (now unavailable) Altos to be pretty decent for the money, and I've also noticed that the Samsons look peculiarly similar.  But I can't imagine the Samsons being anything other than pretty awful, as I've never seen anything of their stuff be much more so. 
Then again, remember how when we all universally hated anything Behringer?  That's certainly different of late, ain't it?
Times and things do change sometimes.

PLEASE post whatever you find with that Samson monitor. 

d.

Sure I am on the road this week and three shows this weekend.  Won't be until next week, sorry.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2019, 05:54:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.