ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?  (Read 13809 times)

Mike Holtzinger

Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?
« on: October 04, 2018, 07:20:10 AM »

I'm looking at powered boxes in the sub $400 range, and they all appear to be about the same. Alto, Eon, ZLX, Mackie Thump, Behringer etc. Is there a box IN THIS PRICE RANGE that stands out?
 I'm interested in 12" as they'll be used for a loud Bar band as monitors. So I'd like to hear from those of you who have actually compared some of them.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Cheap Monitors...anything stand out?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »

The words loud bar band is going to make a cheap monitor a tough buy. The issue is that cheap speakers typically aren't that loud and furthermore are not as stable against feedback as higher priced units.

I was pretty impressed by the EV ZLX, and while it sounds pretty good and is fairly stable, it is not very loud. The limiter shuts it down right about the time it is getting to the apparently there stage. If you ask for more it just limits and gets closer to feedback never really getting louder. Mackie needs to be dropped from your list as well as ANY Behringer option. There is a coaxial Alto option that has gotten some love, but again isn't very loud. QSC just came out with a new CP line which is basically a slightly dumbed down K series box, but it doesn't get too loud.

I would put my money on the EV ZLX and QSC CP series as being the best you can get for the price, but I don't think they will be loud enough for what I would consider a loud bar band. You can get them pretty readily at Guitar Center. You can try them out and return them if they don't perform. 
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »

I own a EV ZLX15P and pretty much hate it so you’re gonna get a variety of opinions. For $400 per you could get something better used.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:09:21 AM »

I'm looking at powered boxes in the sub $400 range, and they all appear to be about the same. Alto, Eon, ZLX, Mackie Thump, Behringer etc. Is there a box IN THIS PRICE RANGE that stands out?
 I'm interested in 12" as they'll be used for a loud Bar band as monitors. So I'd like to hear from those of you who have actually compared some of them.
Define loud.  Is the stage loud?, house loud?, both loud?  Again, define loud.

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:28:12 AM »

Define loud.  Is the stage loud?, house loud?, both loud?  Again, define loud.

Stage is probably louder than the house. We're currently using a pair of old JBL MR805 15" wedges (300w?) up front and on each side we have some Behringer B212 actives on tripods. The drummer has ears. We'll keep the ears and Behringers, they're actually fine for side fills. I'm looking for 3 wedges for the 3 of us up front. The middle wedge will also serve as my guitar (direct) monitor.
 FOH is SR812p's over SR828p's. It can get loud.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 09:35:52 AM »

Sounds to me like stage volume with existing amps is your real problem, not needing louder monitors.

If you're already prepared to drop $4-500 a monitor, would it not be more worth your while to get IEMs for all band members instead?
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jon Dees

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 09:45:46 AM »

If you were in my area you could get used boxes off Craigslist in this range. I would suggest some patient craigslist trolling.

Stage is probably louder than the house. We're currently using a pair of old JBL MR805 15" wedges (300w?) up front and on each side we have some Behringer B212 actives on tripods. The drummer has ears. We'll keep the ears and Behringers, they're actually fine for side fills. I'm looking for 3 wedges for the 3 of us up front. The middle wedge will also serve as my guitar (direct) monitor.
 FOH is SR812p's over SR828p's. It can get loud.

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 10:07:02 AM »

Sounds to me like stage volume with existing amps is your real problem, not needing louder monitors.

+1 to this. You're trying to solve the wrong problem. If the stage is already louder than the house getting louder monitors is just going to make everything worse for the audience.

Tell the band it's time to grow up, act more professional and turn down.

Good luck with that BTW   :)
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Gary Weller

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »

Drum shield and plexi shields for any offending amp if you can't get them to turn down. Or get them to "shoot their amps across the stage as opposed to behind them pointing out front. They'll make each other turn down or play quieter then.

Mike Holtzinger

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »

Drum shield and plexi shields for any offending amp if you can't get them to turn down. Or get them to "shoot their amps across the stage as opposed to behind them pointing out front. They'll make each other turn down or play quieter then.

+1 to this. You're trying to solve the wrong problem. If the stage is already louder than the house getting louder monitors is just going to make everything worse for the audience.

Tell the band it's time to grow up, act more professional and turn down.

Good luck with that BTW   :)

This ain't my first rodeo and I understand completely. That's why I'm leaving the Marshall at home and playing direct with an Amplifire pedal. But I still want to upgrade the old JBLs to powered.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 10:26:18 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.