ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrocution in OKC  (Read 6225 times)

David Allred

Re: Electrocution in OKC
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 12:02:52 PM »

Sad deal, for sure.  It's been all over the news here for the last few days.  I've little doubt that lawsuits will soon follow and all the details about the Design, Engineering, Contracting, and so forth will be brought to light.

I can't even imagine what the families and friends are going through.

I wonder if the concrete provider, finisher, and anchor hole driller will be included in any lawsuits.  They each could be culpable.  (half in jest, but partially serious)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 12:06:05 PM »

I wonder if the concrete provider, finisher, and anchor hole driller will be included in any lawsuits.  They each could be culpable.  (half in jest, but partially serious)

It's likely.  The way these lawsuits usually work is to name *everyone* who had a hand, foot or finger in the design, construction and maintenance and let the court decide who needs to be in the suit.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 12:38:37 PM »

It's likely.  The way these lawsuits usually work is to name *everyone* who had a hand, foot or finger in the design, construction and maintenance and let the court decide who needs to be in the suit.

THIS.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 12:41:09 PM »

First the lawyers look for who involved has deep pockets... Peavey got sued when a muso was killed by a RPBG outlet...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

David Allred

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »

So... unlawful leaning by an unauthorized civilian counter-suit?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 02:57:00 PM »

So... unlawful leaning by an unauthorized civilian counter-suit?

There is probably a lawyer in OKC who'd take the case but my gut tells me in Oklahoma he'd not find a judge who would let the case go forward.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 03:38:30 PM »

Why did the light come loose ? My electrical crews have anchored many lights. Did the base of the light rust and become weak ? Was it mounted on a wood walkway , concrete walkway , asphalt ? Did the fasteners become weak ? My 350 pound butt is suppose to able to be supported by such stuff that people come in contact with. I have leaned on lots of lights in my day that other electricians installed and they never moved. As for GFI that would need to be the breaker. The electrical engineer draws the plans. If I had wired that and there was not a GFI breaker I would have have sent an RFI as to why not. I would have informed the job super and my boss. It would be up to the electrical engineer to approve the GFI. If the engineer did not approve the GFI we would not be allowed to install one. However after the job was complete and turned over to the owner a GFI breaker could be installed. All this complexity has to do with not following the approved blueprints and the city inspector not signing off the job and liability when a problem arises. Yes lawsuits lawsuits lawsuits. The electrical foreman on that job should have seen the potential for danger and spoke up and maybe he did and was told there was no need for a GFI because that code did not require it. I have done service in old building and seen stuff that was extremely dangerous and refused to work on it unless the main breaker was turned off. And it was built to the code that was in effect at that time. I am a retired commercial electrician.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:41:34 PM by Jeff Bankston »

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 11:12:28 PM »

There is probably a lawyer in OKC who'd take the case but my gut tells me in Oklahoma he'd not find a judge who would let the case go forward.
And even if the judge allows it to continue, municipalities are often protected by strict and laughable award limits even if proven grossly negligent.  In my Tennessee case our county was only exposed for $100K regardless of any legal finding.  This is the kind of thing that causes lawyers to shriek in terror and run away from a case before the first motion is filed because 33% of peanuts is 1/3 of said worthless legumes and they know it.  As it was designed to do.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2018, 12:44:22 AM »

And even if the judge allows it to continue, municipalities are often protected by strict and laughable award limits even if proven grossly negligent.  In my Tennessee case our county was only exposed for $100K regardless of any legal finding.  This is the kind of thing that causes lawyers to shriek in terror and run away from a case before the first motion is filed because 33% of peanuts is 1/3 of said worthless legumes and they know it.  As it was designed to do.

Sent from my mobile phone using Tapatalk

From my Armchair Lawyer perspective it was intended to prevent those without independent means from seeking justice or achieving meaningful compensation from an irresponsible and negligent party who conveniently happens to be a municipal government.  As it was designed to do.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 04:44:17 AM »

A big problem I have with this is WHY the light was not properly maintained. 20 year old light was not LED. Either fluorescent or filament. Somebody was responsible for changing the light bulbs and checking the condition of the fixtures and making sure they were safe from whatever. Who ever was doing that failed to do their job.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2018, 04:44:17 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.