ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrocution in OKC  (Read 6222 times)

John Fruits

Electrocution in OKC
« on: October 03, 2018, 07:43:08 AM »

This happened Monday in the OKC Bricktown Canal.
BRICKTOWN
The lighting bollards along the canal were installed about 20 years ago and are un-grounded. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Electrocution in OKC
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 10:18:50 AM »

This happened Monday in the OKC Bricktown Canal.
BRICKTOWN
The lighting bollards along the canal were installed about 20 years ago and are un-grounded.

Nothing surprises me about lack of Code, or lack of compliance with Code that gets approved by the AHJ.  Okla is about as corrupt as you can get and the first folks in line for screwing consumers in the Oklahoma Chamber of Commerce.  The willingness of Oklahomans to line up behind them astounds me and their mindset is why I left Okla many years ago for Kansas.  At the time Kansas was "better".  Now we're trying to go lower than Okla, faster.  If I could move and start my life over in my 60s I'd leave these shirthole states for somewhere better.

The spokesperson from the City saying the bollards couldn't be grounded because they're 20 years old is so full of shit she should be sent to the waste treatment plant.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 10:21:53 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:31:30 AM »

One official comment that bothers me is that "When installed, the lights were up to code".  Yeah, that was then, this is now.
I better not comment on the C of C, it would quickly head into verboten territory.  I will say that some Chamber leadership seems to feel that busineses are there for the benefit of the Chamber, when IMHO they have it vice versa.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

David Allred

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 11:06:09 AM »

If he grabbed the wires, as the report says, (assuming exposed contacts or cut insulation from the accident) would grounding have changed anything.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 11:10:30 AM »

I won't say exactly why I'm unhappy with the OK CoC because my personal take would likely violate the forum rules about "social issues" (is labor a social issue?).  I'll say only that the OK CoC ruthlessly advocates for business and industry at the peril of average working citizens & the environment (not that anyone in power in OK gives a damn about the environment)... and it's that mentality that pervades the enforcement of existing regulations and Codes; and that mentality is not limited to the Red Dirt state.

If he grabbed the wires, as the report says, (assuming exposed contacts or cut insulation from the accident) would grounding have changed anything.

If it were property protected by GFCI the answer is the wires would have been de-energized when the bollard hit the water.  I think the media reports and amateur electricians have confused the words "grounded" and "protected".
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 12:06:34 PM »

I think the media reports and amateur electricians have confused the words "grounded" and "protected".

Today's "media".......
The article was poorly written, over-all.  At the end, 2 different men were mentioned and the following paragraphs use "he" multiple time to describe their varying conditions and circumstances.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 01:28:28 PM »

20 years=1998  I've had my master's license since 2001-and journeyman 3 years before that.  Pretty sure grounding was on the "Block" test I took at the time.  It's not really THAT long ago is it?  Then there is such a thing as GFCI protection.

In fairness, hindsight is 20/20.  A reminder for all of us to be proactive in correcting things we become aware of.  The amazing positive thing is that there were not more victims in a situation like this.
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 02:09:54 PM »

Today's "media".......
The article was poorly written, over-all.  At the end, 2 different men were mentioned and the following paragraphs use "he" multiple time to describe their varying conditions and circumstances.

From a TV station.  It's the closed-caption or teleprompter feed that gets funneled to the station web site.  The words go with images on the screen so "he" usually refers to whomever is pictured on screen, etc.

Amazing what kind of reporters you get for minimum wage these days! /sarc  Paying for news was hard enough before the internet, now finding a budget for real reporters and real editors is almost impossible to do and the quality of journalism has suffered.  My local newspaper has about 25% of the staff it had only 5 years ago.  Formerly a Knight-Ridder paper, now owned by McClatchy.  /nostalgic flashback

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »

20 years=1998  I've had my master's license since 2001-and journeyman 3 years before that.  Pretty sure grounding was on the "Block" test I took at the time.  It's not really THAT long ago is it?  Then there is such a thing as GFCI protection.

In fairness, hindsight is 20/20.  A reminder for all of us to be proactive in correcting things we become aware of.  The amazing positive thing is that there were not more victims in a situation like this.

When I built my house in 1975, I wired it using current code as a minimum. I am pretty sure even back then, metal that can come into contact with live wires was required to be grounded. Admittedly some of the grounding techniques (like using conduit or flex to carry ground) are no longer permitted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tom Burgess

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »

Sad deal, for sure.  It's been all over the news here for the last few days.  I've little doubt that lawsuits will soon follow and all the details about the Design, Engineering, Contracting, and so forth will be brought to light.

I can't even imagine what the families and friends are going through.
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 11:25:06 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.