ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: aes50 extender 9620 fiber  (Read 5723 times)

Brian Hancock

aes50 extender 9620 fiber
« on: October 02, 2018, 03:15:33 PM »

anyone have any experience with this ...

9620 - has mm fiber transmitter which is great if you are going short distance but if your infrastructure is sm and you need longer distance sm is the way to go.

looking for any advice or thoughts on the following thread which is the only place i can find any information about it on the googles.

sorry for the link if it needs to be deleted please let me know. https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?17802-Dn9680-x32-amp-sd8/page2

I'm assuming midas would direct me to a 9680 which is 4times the cost and way more power that what is needed thanks in advance.

Christian Ekren

Re: aes50 extender 9620 fiber
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 05:36:24 PM »

Looks like the attached thread pretty much sums it up.

9620 can be modified to use a single-mode SFP module if needed. I don't think anyone is going to direct you to the 9680 if you're using an x/m32 system, as it does not support control over AES50 (i.e. headamp, phantom, etc.)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »

When using the copper (cat5) connector does it use a different protocol then the AES50 and is it susceptible to the same issues as the AES50 cabling? Like Interruptions or loud noises if stepped on.  If it has the same problems then what is the purpose of using a dn9620 with Cat5 cabling? I assume that it is different since it looks like it carries both AES50 A and B.

Brian Hancock

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »

When using the copper (cat5) connector does it use a different protocol then the AES50 and is it susceptible to the same issues as the AES50 cabling? Like Interruptions or loud noises if stepped on.  If it has the same problems then what is the purpose of using a dn9620 with Cat5 cabling? I assume that it is different since it looks like it carries both AES50 A and B.

supermac vs hypermac ... think 100 mbps vs 1gbps

less cabling ... never had it pop or drop out when moving or stepping on a cable but also using link tactical cat or belden tactical

was more looking to see if anyone besides this one thread had done as much ... the reason for the 9680 is they do specify a sm or a mm version of it but it's a 1k plus item for just 1 end.

nope pro series desks specifically

thanks guys

Brian Hancock

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »

so just got the 9620's in threw in some cisco compatible sfp's updated the box's firmware and nothing ... it won't connect ... spoke with sfp vendor after pulling out mm sfp's and ordered up a second set ... this was my fear as there are so many different firmware versions of sfp's it doesn't matter if the light is compatible it all boils down to if the device is able to speak to the sfp ... so frustrating ...

Jon Dees

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:30:21 AM »

How about calling these guys? This may be dumb enough to do what is needed
https://www.aflhyperscale.com/product/mm-to-sm-media-converter

so just got the 9620's in threw in some cisco compatible sfp's updated the box's firmware and nothing ... it won't connect ... spoke with sfp vendor after pulling out mm sfp's and ordered up a second set ... this was my fear as there are so many different firmware versions of sfp's it doesn't matter if the light is compatible it all boils down to if the device is able to speak to the sfp ... so frustrating ...

Brian Hancock

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »

so seems as though the op in the linked thread in the first post had luck with "Cisco" type sfp's they were not compatible with the device.  after speaking with the helpful people at fs.com they got us squared away it appears the sfp was actually a dell type but their generic sfp's worked fine and the 9620 recognized them right away ... we really didn't want to have to have a different fiber patch as SM fiber is all our inventory is and quite prevalent in the work we do as an install ... 22 bucks later we have a sm bidi 1310/1550 device that works on 1 fiber strand for 20km ...

Eddie Richardson

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 03:40:14 PM »

so seems as though the op in the linked thread in the first post had luck with "Cisco" type sfp's they were not compatible with the device.  after speaking with the helpful people at fs.com they got us squared away it appears the sfp was actually a dell type but their generic sfp's worked fine and the 9620 recognized them right away ... we really didn't want to have to have a different fiber patch as SM fiber is all our inventory is and quite prevalent in the work we do as an install ... 22 bucks later we have a sm bidi 1310/1550 device that works on 1 fiber strand for 20km ...

Brian, we have wanted to put AES50 from our X32 to our S8 and S16 for years. We too use singlemode fiber. Can you share any more details or descriptions of how hard the switch to different SFPs was and what steps you took. Also the bidirectional SFP is very appealing so we don’t have to use 2 fiber strands and only have to use one. Do you mind sharing the make/model number of SFPs that worked in the 9620 with singlemode?  Also I’m assuming everything from preamp controls, etc work?

Thanks a ton!!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber