ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: x32 / USB to Computer Record Digital Distortion Issue  (Read 1836 times)

Zack Stefanski

x32 / USB to Computer Record Digital Distortion Issue
« on: October 13, 2018, 09:24:49 AM »

Hello! First time poster, long time reader.

I've been recording with my X32 for a few years now with little to no issues until yesterday while recording an opera performance. Twice (for about 20 seconds each) during the uninterrupted 45 minute recordings did my wav files generate some sort of digital distortion. I recorded to Ableton Live using the USB output. My phone was on airplane mode; the only thing that had access to external digital signals would have been my computer on which "notifications" were turned off (not exactly airplane mode.) The USB cable has not experienced any kinks or damage; that will be the first thing I try switching out.

I used 4 small diaphragm condenser microphones around the front of stage; they were plugged directly into my mixer using xlr cables.

You can hear the audio file here
The noise happens around 1:37.

I have not updated firmware in some time because I haven't experienced any issues.
Before I do anything, I'm wondering if anyone has encountered this issues. If not, what steps would you take to troubleshoot?

Thanks!

Robert Lofgren

Re: x32 / USB to Computer Record Digital Distortion Issue
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 11:28:59 AM »

This sounds like a clock sync issue listening to that audio.

If your recording computer can use the x32 for system sounds and similar you need to make sure that it doesn’t try to enforce any sample rate or any other conversion.

In some cases making the asio/coreaudio buffer larger may help since it gives the computer more time to ‘catch up’.

Zack Stefanski

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 12:06:46 PM »

This sounds like a clock sync issue listening to that audio.
Of course! That sounds absolutely right.

Thank you Robert!

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:25:19 PM »

Robert could be spot-on with his assessment.
If it's not a clock sync issue it could be either a write speed issue with the drive or something to do with a program attempting to access the USB port.
Were you recording directly to the computer's HDD?  If so, try recording to an external drive connected to the computer.  Also make sure that WiFi is turned off on the computer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 08:25:19 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 25 queries.