ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Inexpensive Lavs  (Read 5197 times)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Inexpensive Lavs
« on: October 01, 2018, 06:53:15 PM »

I think I have used a lav one time in the past 10 years or so.
I have a W93 and one with no label other than Shure on it. I have some headsets which are mostly what my belt packs get used for.

I need a couple of (presumably Omni) lavs for a wedding.

I expect one on the lapel of the groom and one on a bookmark for the officiant.

These are likely one use given how often I am likely to use them so I don’t want to put huge money into it.

If someone close to me has some I could rent, that might work too.

So, what do you suggest? I have Shure ULX gear.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

(Brian) Frost

Re: Inexpensive Lavs
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:53 PM »

Why not rent since you are basically never using them.  my company would rent wl50 lavs for $10 ea.  but we arent local. 

I have a W93 and one with no label other than Shure on it. I have some headsets which are mostly what my belt packs get used for.

These are likely one use given how often I am likely to use them so I don’t want to put huge money into it.

Thanks

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 09:04:10 PM »

PM sent
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 01:05:06 AM »

Definitely rent, and rent good stuff.  Cheap lavs are a nightmare, especially for live reinforcement work.

When working with lav placement, realize how far away you are placing the mics.  Consider what would happen if you put a regular mic that far away from someone.  Would you expect to get good results?  If not, then a lav won't magically make it work any better.
Brian Jojade

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 01:48:53 AM »

Definitely rent, and rent good stuff.  Cheap lavs are a nightmare, especially for live reinforcement work.

When working with lav placement, realize how far away you are placing the mics.  Consider what would happen if you put a regular mic that far away from someone.  Would you expect to get good results?  If not, then a lav won't magically make it work any better.

+1 to everything here. The smoother the frequency response (on and off axis) the less likely they are to feed back, and the more likely they are to be expensive...

-Russ

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 08:22:45 AM »

Thanks

I provide one lav mic for several outdoor weddings per year.
I will clip the lapel mic to the officiant's binder (at the top of the spine).
I have found that I can run the mic pretty hot...
This way I get the officiant's voice when he/she speaks and I also get the bride and groom's voices as they respond (since the officiant faces each one of them as they recite).

One thing that you may want to aware of: Make sure that the lav pack is in its own pocket...
a case in point:
Two years ago I provided the lav for an outdoor ceremony; prior to the ceremony I mic'd up the Rabbi, tested it, got a level at the ceremony site, muted it, all set.
The ceremony starts and there is an abundance of static in the PA.... I adjusted the gain, etc, and eventually had to shut it off...
Upon conclusion of the ceremony I went to the Rabbi and discovered that the "videographer" had also put a wireless mic on the Rabbi and put his pack in the same pocket as my pack...so that the two units were touching...

Did the addition of the videographer's pack cause the static....who's to say, but I tested my lav at the ceremony site after the the ceremony and it worked fine.... 

Food for thought...

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

Having done local theater groups and having gone through a number of mics I found the Microphone Madness MM-PSM-L (omni)  have been really nice.

Of the original 6 I purchased they are all still working. Easy to mount, I like to use them through the hair mounted if I can. They have been very dependable and sound great for spoken work or singing.

Edited for: I just saw the one time use thing. If I was close you could borrow them.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 08:55:23 AM by Stephen Beatty »

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:59:22 AM »

I provide one lav mic for several outdoor weddings per year.
I will clip the lapel mic to the officiant's binder

Small swerve:

We rent lavs  at least twice a month  for weddings where we deliver, set up, test and leave. So no paid operator on site for the ceremony and the officiants  are rarely on site during the set up. Usually the DJ runs the small mixer we provide.

I always tell the clients ( usually the groom and the DJ if he is there) to put the mic on the binder but I find that once the  officiants show up they almost always insist they  wear them on their lapels. 

Do you have some magic phrase you use to convince the officiants that the binder is the best place?  My guess is that the groom just doesn't present the authority I have on the few occasions where we are providing an operator, and they just cave to whatever the officiants wants.

Maybe I should leave typed instructions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 01:31:11 PM »

Do you have some magic phrase you use to convince the officiants that the binder is the best place?  My guess is that the groom just doesn't present the authority I have on the few occasions where we are providing an operator, and they just cave to whatever the officiants wants.

Maybe I should leave typed instructions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me preface:  I lead a classical trio/quartet that performs extensively in the Rhode Island wedding circuit.  I provide a lav for the officiant for an additional fee if requested. 
I am very cordial.... after introducing myself to the officiant I always say, "let's try this..."

I actually learned the lav-on-binder technique several years ago from an officiant (retired priest) that performs for many outdoor ceremonies in the Newport, RI area. 
On that particular gig I asked him where he would like the lav to be clipped...his answer "right here" (pointing to the spot).
I gotta give credit where credit is due....

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »

I just did lab on an atlas for a wedding over the weekend. It worked OK. Trying to convince the officiant that it would be OK was tricky. She wanted a handheld until I took her to the ceremony are and showed her how it all went together. I put an E6 earset on her, which worked just fine.

Let me preface:  I lead a classical trio/quartet that performs extensively in the Rhode Island wedding circuit.  I provide a lav for the officiant for an additional fee if requested. 
I am very cordial.... after introducing myself to the officiant I always say, "let's try this..."

I actually learned the lav-on-binder technique several years ago from an officiant (retired priest) that performs for many outdoor ceremonies in the Newport, RI area. 
On that particular gig I asked him where he would like the lav to be clipped...his answer "right here" (pointing to the spot).
I gotta give credit where credit is due....
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 03:34:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.