ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations on bluetooth transmitter  (Read 6344 times)

nick.kidwell2006

Recommendations on bluetooth transmitter
« on: September 29, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »

We have an older congregation, many of whom use hearing aids. I also wear hearing aids and I lead worship. I have trouble hearing the monitors over the vocals.

I'm looking for recommendations for bluetooth transmitters that could easily send sound from the mains to people hearing air bluetooth receivers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
Re: Recommendations on bluetooth transmitter
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 05:49:13 AM »

We have an older congregation, many of whom use hearing aids. I also wear hearing aids and I lead worship. I have trouble hearing the monitors over the vocals.

I'm looking for recommendations for bluetooth transmitters that could easily send sound from the mains to people hearing air bluetooth receivers.

You might want to edit your name, I'm guessing you are Nick Kidwell but with how it's displayed you might get some issues from mods.

Regarding bluetooth headphones do some searching in the forums, I remember something being mentioned here before but was more a RF solution.

The issue with bluetooth is that the more devices there are the less likely it is to work correctly.

Search for hearing loops and similar solutions in the forums.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

nick.kidwell2006

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 09:44:09 AM »

How do I edit my name? That's what it popped up as...

nick.kidwell2006

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »

Audio loops have been explored, and for some reason the idea was rejected.

We would never have a large number of people using the system...we have about 40 people total, only a fraction of whom use hearing aids.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:51:06 AM »

Is the root issue poor intelligibility?  This is common.  If so, the real fix is a well designed speaker system, not a cheap bandaid.

Bluetooth is a convenience protocol, not an audio quality protocol.  Think wireless music from someone's cell phone as background music, such as during a common meal in a fellowship hall. 

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

nick.kidwell2006

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 11:16:13 AM »

The root problem is that the old people with hearing aids can't hear the mains, and turning  up their devices isn't working. Same thing for me as a broken veteran with bad ears. We're trying to cut out the air transmission of the soundwaves for a select few.

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 01:33:05 PM »

You will most likely encounter a significant delay between the live sound from the mains and the reception of the Bluetooth transmission, adding more confusion to the sound, rather than helping the situation.  Newer versions may have gotten better since I last dabbled with it, but it is not something you can adjust or fix. 

A cheap IEM system with the number of receivers needed or possible a lower power FM transmitter and some disposable FM radios and headphones may get you where you want to be, but I doubt either would be considered an ADA approved system.
This space for rent

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »

You will most likely encounter a significant delay between the live sound from the mains and the reception of the Bluetooth transmission, adding more confusion to the sound, rather than helping the situation.  Newer versions may have gotten better since I last dabbled with it, but it is not something you can adjust or fix. 

A cheap IEM system with the number of receivers needed or possible a lower power FM transmitter and some disposable FM radios and headphones may get you where you want to be, but I doubt either would be considered an ADA approved system.

The most common way this is addressed is with a true ADA complaint assisted listening system.  Look at offerings from Listen or Williams Sound.  Install a transmitter/antenna, hand out receivers to your guests with either ear buds or neck loops, and you are set.   Entry level kits with a receiver or two should be around $500.

Resist the urge to waste money on Bluetooth gimmicks.

Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 07:41:21 PM »

If you go with an rf assisted listening system Listen offers a 200mhz version, those seem to work and sound better than the 75mhz systems.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 01:22:40 AM »

Besides the aforementioned issues (latency), Bluetooth is a unicast, not multicast or broadcast, protocol.

One effect of this is that each receiving device must be paired with the transmitter. That means that each person wishing to use it will need to go through a connection process. This process may need to be repeated every Sunday.

Another effect is that, unlike a broadcast signal, each device added demands more RF spectrum resources. There will be a practical limit to how many receiving devices can connect before audio quality falls off the cliff.

Unicast: each packet of data addressed to a single , specific device.
Multicast: each packet of data addressed to multiple, specific devices.
Broadcast: data is sent without specific addressing; anything receiving the data can process it. “Postal Customer.”
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 01:28:06 AM by Jonathan Johnson »
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 01:22:40 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.