ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Today's office  (Read 2775 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Today's office
« on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »

Today we start rehearsals for an MLG X-Box tournament in San Diego. This is outside my life experience, hundreds of competitors competing on a live stream. Lyon Video truck outside with an ADAM system, and 25 drops of Freespeak II inside with a couple of ADAM panels. I get the comms part, it's the gaming part I don't get. I'm getting old.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Today's office
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 12:19:35 PM »

Today we start rehearsals for an MLG X-Box tournament in San Diego. This is outside my life experience, hundreds of competitors competing on a live stream. Lyon Video truck outside with an ADAM system, and 25 drops of Freespeak II inside with a couple of ADAM panels. I get the comms part, it's the gaming part I don't get. I'm getting old.
Hey Mac, you're getting paid, right?
Your only "problem" should be how bad the catering sucks.
Leave the youngens to their whatever the hell they're into these days.  ;D
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 12:20:25 PM »

We did a Gaming Tournament Night as part of Oculus Connect last year.  I was on the streaming team.  Yeah, all the production tech i totally understood.  It was standard "sports" show with announcers and multicams and all that other jazz.  But the Gaming stuff went totally over my head.  As in i'm watching the game and the announcers are doing their color commentary and such and shouting "GGOOOOAAAALLLL!!!!" and i literally cannot figure out what is going on.  I felt like a European watching American Football for the first time.  "So, did a thing happen that was good?  Do they kick the ball now finally?  Why do they get 'extra' points?  Shouldn't it just be 'points'??", etc., etc.

Oh well.  Getting old beats the alternative...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 08:59:15 PM »

Hi Mac - quick question if you don't mind...

I'm in the process of building (well, buying and filling) a few new FOH racks and have been debating on whether or not I want the shock mount racks.  Reading back a few years I see you mentioning that a fully foamed case bottom that partially compresses under load might not having a lot of compliance left to absorb shocks (here and here).  I also see that every rack I can spot in your picture is a shock mount rack.  Is there something different about these racks, or are they simply worth the extra size/weight/cost to protect what's in them?  Thanks! 

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 07:47:09 PM »

Filled in for one of the crew doing the PA hang on a gaming competition that is broadcast. Good pal is the systems guy.
Full arena with 200 points (think flown amps and dimmers, screens ,12 pa hangs, lighting for HD broadcast) and a set much like "The Voice" with all the gamers competing in these huge chairs. Like a weird sort of boxing ring.
They were in for a week all told and that was just a regional finals event. The company he works for does lots of these and the production is huge.
I felt so out of touch :)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2018, 08:20:13 PM »

Filled in for one of the crew doing the PA hang on a gaming competition that is broadcast. Good pal is the systems guy.
Full arena with 200 points (think flown amps and dimmers, screens ,12 pa hangs, lighting for HD broadcast) and a set much like "The Voice" with all the gamers competing in these huge chairs. Like a weird sort of boxing ring.
They were in for a week all told and that was just a regional finals event. The company he works for does lots of these and the production is huge.
I felt so out of touch :)

It has gotten huge.  The networking requirements are off the hook too.

I think the Gears Pro Circuit is the big money production.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »

It has gotten huge.  The networking requirements are off the hook too.

I think the Gears Pro Circuit is the big money production.

I don't know if it's the big money production, but it's a $250,000 prize pool with a $100,000 top prize. Today is day 2 of competition, tomorrow the the final day with games going on from 10am-10pm.

Mac

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2018, 10:26:06 PM »

I don't know if it's the big money production, but it's a $250,000 prize pool with a $100,000 top prize. Today is day 2 of competition, tomorrow the the final day with games going on from 10am-10pm.

Mac

I can't think of anything more boring than watching someone play a video game.  Pac Man came out when I was in college.  I kinda like Qbert.  I have not played a modern video game other than the golf simulators in the bars.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Helmke

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 10:44:45 AM »

I'm in the process of building (well, buying and filling) a few new FOH racks and have been debating on whether or not I want the shock mount racks.  Reading back a few years I see you mentioning that a fully foamed case bottom that partially compresses under load might not having a lot of compliance left to absorb shocks (here and here).  I also see that every rack I can spot in your picture is a shock mount rack.  Is there something different about these racks, or are they simply worth the extra size/weight/cost to protect what's in them?  Thanks!

My take on shockmount racks is that if you're moving your own racks 100% of the time then you don't need shock protection. 

If you're renting gear out, if it's being shipped or otherwise being handled by people who are not you, then long term the shock protection can save a lot of repairs. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2018, 08:33:03 PM »

Thanks Scott, that was generally my take on the situation as well.  I’m just trying to determine if the added cost and size is worth it for a bit more piece of mind.  I’ve never had any issue with non-shock racks over the past 10-15 years, but as the overall value of my equipment goes up I figured it might be worth revisiting.  Thanks again!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2018, 11:11:28 PM »

Thanks Scott, that was generally my take on the situation as well.  I’m just trying to determine if the added cost and size is worth it for a bit more piece of mind.  I’ve never had any issue with non-shock racks over the past 10-15 years, but as the overall value of my equipment goes up I figured it might be worth revisiting.  Thanks again!

How important to the success of the show, how critical/irreplaceable is it?  The more it is so, the higher the protective needs of casing.  If it's a $100 item or a $50,000 item, if the show can't go on without it....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 04:58:55 AM »

Easy-lock shockmount racks are the way to go on all items that fits them.

I have it on my amps and stagerack. No more rack lids to worry about and they stack easily.

Attached is a pair of pictures of my amp racks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 04:58:55 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 22 queries.