ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV Eliminator ii Crossover Issues  (Read 9951 times)

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
Re: EV Eliminator ii Crossover Issues
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2018, 07:50:33 PM »

Mike, sorry for the delay in my reply. I live in the SF Bay Area. I got a call from the shop today, and it turns out one of the inductors was shorted, so he replaced it. I'll pick it up later today. I'll let you guys know how it sounds. Thanks!

Shorted does sound strange, open maybe.
Your average size inductors will measure less than one ohm DC, even large ones will only measure an ohm or two.
I wonder how they determined it was shorted.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2018, 05:46:00 AM »

Your average size inductors will measure less than one ohm DC, even large ones will only measure an ohm or two.
I wonder how they determined it was shorted.

Just a quick FWIW, I'd want all inductors (especially the big ones, since they're usually feeding straight into a woofer) to be much less than 1ohm at DC. Preferably less than 0.5ohm.
The only exception would be as part of a highpass filter, where it can be useful for the inductor across the driver to have a little series resistance, as that will give a slightly softer knee around the crossover frequency. Good for tweaking phase alignment.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »

Many people use the term "shorted" to simply mean broken.

Completely different though.

Kinda of like phase and polarity-------
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2018, 08:08:51 AM »

Many people use the term "shorted" to simply mean broken.

Completely different though.

Kinda of like phase and polarity-------
Agreed. Only real possibility for a short would be manufacturer defect in the coating/winding. (I would imagine)
I've sen them burnt with WAY excessive power, but never shorted.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dave Rogue

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2018, 03:00:27 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the continued comments on this. I may have used incorrect verbiage, or did a poor job translating what I thought the repair guy said to me. All I know is they replaced 1 inductor, and the speaker sounds great!

However, I just noticed that the other speaker seems to lack some of the low-end that the speaker with the repaired crossover has. This was originally masked by playing both speakers side by side, and not differentiating what is coming our of each individual speaker. It wasn't until I panned all the way left and then all the way right before I noticed. All 3 speakers make sound, so I will open it up and check connections, and then will troubleshoot from there. Since these older EV crossovers seem hard to find, I'd love to build two new 2.5 way crossovers for these speakers, but then we're back to the newb factor. If I had a design with the values, and where to solder things (basically if I was spoon fed what to do), I could make them... but I don't, and still don't really know what I'm doing. Lol!
You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2018, 03:20:50 PM »

However, I just noticed that the other speaker seems to lack some of the low-end that the speaker with the repaired crossover has.
This simply could be that the woofers are connected out of polarity with each other in this box, the 9v battery test will show which one it is pretty clearly.

Dave Rogue

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2019, 06:35:36 PM »

This simply could be that the woofers are connected out of polarity with each other in this box, the 9v battery test will show which one it is pretty clearly.

Thanks, I will give that a try tonight. In my troubleshooting of the original problem I did remove the crossovers for both speakers, so maybe I reconnected the speaker wires incorrectly.
You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2019, 06:35:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.