ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: EV Eliminator ii Crossover Issues  (Read 9945 times)

Dave Rogue

Re: EV Eliminator ii Crossover Issues
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2018, 11:09:30 PM »

Sure you can fix the pcb with a wire.  Should be simple enough to follow traces,

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I guess my lack of experience makes me have a hard time seeing the traces. There are lines, which must be them, but some of the components don't seem to cross them. I'll take a better look.
You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Dave Rogue

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2018, 11:16:06 PM »

Yep, if it is a cracked PCB those big wide traces would be easy to bridge the crack with a piece of wire. You do need to clean off the green varnish coating to get some clean copper to solder to.

I just fixed a cracked PCB in a keyboard a couple weeks ago, those traces were not nearly as big as those on your crossover!

Have you tried swapping drivers with your working speaker.
Sorry if you did that already and I missed reading it.

How would I clean off the varnish? It almost seems like it's layered laminated plasticky stuff. In the pictures I posted can you see the traces? It just seems like the lines I see are more lines, not copper traces. I will take a real good look at it in the morning.

Regarding testing the speaker, yes I have. When I got the speakers I was told of the blown diaphragm, which it was. I replaced it and a little more sound than before came out of the horn, but very little, and nothing like the other (properly working) speaker. So, to troubleshoot I put the horn I just replaced the diaphragm in in the other cab, and it worked perfectly. Thanks what lead me to the crossover.

You can give a man a fish and feed him for a day, or you can teach him how to fish and feed him for a lifetime.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2018, 12:18:56 AM »

How would I clean off the varnish? It almost seems like it's layered laminated plasticky stuff. In the pictures I posted can you see the traces? It just seems like the lines I see are more lines, not copper traces. I will take a real good look at it in the morning.
Can you post up some pics of the circuit board after the parts were removed?

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2018, 03:34:21 AM »

Might be easier to see the traces with a light behind the PCB as well. Stick it on an old school overhead projector or otherwise just put it in front of a light and you should be able to see what's going on a lot better.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 09:47:56 AM »

I guess my lack of experience makes me have a hard time seeing the traces. There are lines, which must be them, but some of the components don't seem to cross them. I'll take a better look.

On a loudspeaker crossover, the traces handle a bit more current than say a line level device, so they're quite big.
This leads to the outcome of the traces actually taking up most of the surface of the board - the lines you see are actually the gaps between adjacent traces.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:32 AM »

How would I clean off the varnish?
A flat head screwdriver will scrape it off easily.

Just get it mostly off.  Then add some solder with a HOT iron and the rest should flow off easily
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Dave Rogue

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2018, 04:33:48 PM »

Thanks again for all of your help! I soldered the capacitor, resistor, and polyswitch, back on the board and the CD is still very weak. So, I'm throwing in the towel and am going to bring the crossover, with the speaker cab, to a pro to see what they can do. While I didn't fix the problem I definitely learned a little something, thanks to you guys, so not a complete loss. Thanks again! Cheers!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2018, 04:44:19 PM »

Thanks again for all of your help! I soldered the capacitor, resistor, and polyswitch, back on the board and the CD is still very weak. So, I'm throwing in the towel and am going to bring the crossover, with the speaker cab, to a pro to see what they can do. While I didn't fix the problem I definitely learned a little something, thanks to you guys, so not a complete loss. Thanks again! Cheers!

We're are you located?

Dave Rogue

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 02:12:05 PM »

We're are you located?

Mike, sorry for the delay in my reply. I live in the SF Bay Area. I got a call from the shop today, and it turns out one of the inductors was shorted, so he replaced it. I'll pick it up later today. I'll let you guys know how it sounds. Thanks!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Mike, sorry for the delay in my reply. I live in the SF Bay Area. I got a call from the shop today, and it turns out one of the inductors was shorted, so he replaced it. I'll pick it up later today. I'll let you guys know how it sounds. Thanks!
A shorted inductor is very very rare, unless it is obviously burnt or has gotten really hot (it would show signs of that).  that would require the insulation to be scraped off of two spots in the coil that just happen to be touching.

I have seen it, but only once in all of my years in this business, that non abused inductor/coil was shorted.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2018, 04:40:32 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 25 queries.