ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: What would you do? (Bad rigging issue at local restaurant)  (Read 5391 times)

Mark Wilkinson

Re: What would you do? (Bad rigging issue at local restaurant)
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 03:55:44 PM »

Hi guys, guess I owe some replies.
I realize my angst post was not really about safety itself,…
Because I don't take chances with others' safety.

I can see that my post was really about the ongoing ire I have with what I call "safety politics".

I could go into how I’ve become jaded here, but suffice it say that I’ve donated a lot of time to trying to improve public safety in my retired years.
I've had graduate level training at assessing levels, types, and comparisons of risks,…. along with understanding how personal preferences and fears influence both private and public opinion. Working on water safety issues seemed like a good way to help out the community.
But I’ve found that safety regs and laws are often formed by emotions and legislator mob rule…not by reason or placing risks in perspective.
The crap that surfaces “in the name of safety” often scares me……… politics and personal agengas hide behind the safety flag alot.
So when i see folks chiming in on safety, I get antsy unless there's certainty involved.

Anyway, this is my raw nerve/issue, and not something I should have dumped  on the forum…please accept my apologies.

OK, I’ll try to at least briefly touch base to posts where i was addressed..…

Answering  the OP’s original question…'What would you do?'
Yeah, I agree with the number of folks who said if you see something unsafe that moves you, only take it up with the most responsible person you can.
That simple.

If nothing changes and you’re still moved to correct the situation, contact whatever authority is deemed appropriate. 
But IMO, that is tantamount to calling the cops on someone, or taking them to court, ….so I have to be damn sure that there’s probable risk to others….
(And ask myself if maybe I’m doing anything as equally, probably, unsafe... that I should fix …… )

Someone asked if I don’t see the rigging issues in the picture…
Yep, I see them, and at  least one more that concerns me as much as those mentioned. The horizontal pull on the speaker mounting bolts looks like it’s already bent them a little.
Some folks aren’t aware how a vertical load, creates a  horizontal pull, magnified by trigonometry. At least the horiz angle in the pict isn’t severe…may be ok.

Before the above mentioned life eras, I was a union elevator constructor.  We did a lot of rigging and hoisting.
It gave me the experience to hang 280 lb mains and dual 18 subs from the ceiling in a big rec room I built.
My kids were totally safe directly underneath.
I’ve put lots of stuff overhead in a number of structures.
And yep, I have experience with the vibration ….you wouldn’t think so, but my observation is vibration issues seem to be less when hanging…??
(Frankly, I have far more qualms with speakers on sticks, than with hangs I can inspect. But I digress…)

And I still have to say this, unless I could actually get up on a ladder and take a close look at things, I wouldn’t simply declare this hang unsafe.
It just isn’t that heavy…who really knows without a close look....??

Peace brothers…

PS….Hey Tim, thanks for the perspective!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 07:00:18 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

David Allred

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2019, 05:55:37 PM »

The right eyebolt appears to be bent from the loop through (which is a no-no).

What do seat belts have to do with this?  One is the safety of others, and one is the safety of self (personal responsibility).

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 05:59:11 PM »

I can see that my post was really about the ongoing ire I have with what I call "safety politics".

Mark, I think I understand where you are coming from. I often have feelings along the same lines. They are difficult to articulate. What gets my goat is when I perceive people using safety or security as a means of self-empowerment or self-aggrandizement. Often folks with limited technical knowledge but some level of institutional power (and often a profound lack of curiosity) enforce safety dogma because it's the power they have. In my younger days I had run-ins with security guards, the keepers of stockrooms, and others whom I felt were being unreasonable, or untrusting of me. I'm sure they all thought (correctly) that I was an elite, arrogant prick.

I've learned to recognize these situations and to let it go (I hope). Let them preach and have their day. I'll go on and make my own decisions, right or wrong,  and take responsibility for the outcomes.  If I'm doing something iffy, I don't sing about it on an Internet forum, nor do I get on too high a horse about what others do. If I see something that looks acutely dangerous I'll call it out because of the moral obligation to do so, but I choose my battles. (I have, in my darker moments, imagined the emergency responder who will shoot me dead, for my own safety of course, should I decide to, say, enter an "unsafe" building.)

--Frank
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:03:30 PM by Frank Koenig »
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2019, 06:57:02 PM »

Thank you Frank,

I think you do a nice job of articulating the frustrations that can arise... along with a  wise way of handling them.

Sam Costa

• 408-849-6420
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »

Mark - another old codger here - in all the decades I've been on this forum or following pro sound issues, I've seen catastrophic sound system damage due to high wind, fire, flood, tsunami, vehicle crashes, landslides, tornado, hurricane, improper tent construction and warfare - those are the only ones I remember specifically.  I've never seen or heard of speakers such as the one on this thread actually falling.  It's sloppy and probably illegal, but I think the actual danger is grievously overrated.  I think the OP should make some calls and then get over it.

Cheers,
-Tim T

" I think the OP should make some calls and then get over it."

Thanks Tim... dont worry, I'm over it. Emails and calls sent. Rest assure, I won't be placing any of my audio gear anywhere near that shitty install.  ::)
Being a productive member of society and encouraging others to do the same.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 07:01:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.