ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mobile PA Buildout Help  (Read 4647 times)

Tom Nisbet

New Mobile PA Buildout Help
« on: September 23, 2018, 06:34:54 PM »

I’m currently in the research phase for building out a new Mobile System to be used at a college bar twice a month with focus on bass heavy music (house/techno).  Was hoping to have to make that decision in the spring, but it looks like it might need to be sooner due to personnel changes at the venue. 

I was hoping to get some thoughts or experience with this type of use case (haven’t really found any techno related posts).

Room is the back room of a bar, approximately 30’x40’  Construction consists of cement flooring, brick walls, 10’ ceiling.

I’ve been looking at JBL, Yamaha, and Turbosound.

From a build standpoint they would like this
JBL
2 - SRX812P or SRX815P
2 - SRX818SP

Yamaha
2 - DZR12 or DZR15
2 - DSX18XLF

Turbosound
2 - iq12 or i15
2 - iq18b

I’m not sure about which tops to pick.  I’m a fan of smaller as I think they sound better and will have the proper low end reinforcement.  In addition to sound quality and price, I need to keep in mind the ease of setup and tear down.  I only have an hour to get setup and 30mins to get gear out the door at the end of the night. 

I will be setting up some time to check out Turbosound in person, but unfortunately, don’t really have any one close, that I’m aware of, who would let me have a listen. 

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: New Mobile PA Buildout Help
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 06:40:00 PM »

Is this for live bands or DJ stuff?

I think the DZR range for Yamaha sounds very good, but doubt you will need the Dante networking that they come with.

But I also don’t think that an hour to set up and a half hour to tear down is nearly enough time.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »

Is this for live bands or DJ stuff?

I think the DZR range for Yamaha sounds very good, but doubt you will need the Dante networking that they come with.

But I also don’t think that an hour to set up and a half hour to tear down is nearly enough time.

This is strictly for DJing, primarily electronic music.  I agree, Dante is not needed.  I’ve been letting them run my k12.2 with my ks212c, but it definitely lacks the low end.  I was going to use those as booth monitors and upgrade the mains and subs when this goes more regular/permanent. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »

Hi Tom,

The “help me pick speakers” discussion comes up here on nearly a weekly basis at the lounge level and the suggestions are almost always the same.  Spending a few hours reading the various threads might give you the clarity you need, though given the venue and size/scope in mind it’s hard to go wrong considering what’s on the MI-level market today. 

What doesn’t get addressed too often is the rapid setup/breakdown time that you need.  This is where logistics and planning really helps.  A rack or case for your FOH and DJing gear that’s prewired to a simple patch panel here is a big time saver - no need to mess with a bunch of individual cables.  Speaking of which, cable management matters too.  You don’t want to be wasting time dealing with a rat’s nest of cables in plastic milk crates nor spending excessive effort to unbury what you need.  You should have an advantage here since the rig and venue are consistent.  For what it’s worth I use rigs much larger than what you’re considering in bigger venues and can still do a 90min setup and 45min breakdown.  I think 60up/30down is very doable with proper planning.  Hope this helps!       

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 08:10:47 PM »

Hi Tom,

The “help me pick speakers” discussion comes up here on nearly a weekly basis at the lounge level and the suggestions are almost always the same.  Spending a few hours reading the various threads might give you the clarity you need, though given the venue and size/scope in mind it’s hard to go wrong considering what’s on the MI-level market today. 

What doesn’t get addressed too often is the rapid setup/breakdown time that you need.  This is where logistics and planning really helps.  A rack or case for your FOH and DJing gear that’s prewired to a simple patch panel here is a big time saver - no need to mess with a bunch of individual cables.  Speaking of which, cable management matters too.  You don’t want to be wasting time dealing with a rat’s nest of cables in plastic milk crates nor spending excessive effort to unbury what you need.  You should have an advantage here since the rig and venue are consistent.  For what it’s worth I use rigs much larger than what you’re considering in bigger venues and can still do a 90min setup and 45min breakdown.  I think 60up/30down is very doable with proper planning.  Hope this helps!     

Hi Jeff,
I have been lurking in the shadows for a couple weeks now trying to research what I can. The challenge I have found is that most reviews, suggestions, and experiences seem to be focused on live bands, versus bass heavy electronic stuff.

I’m definitely trying to steal whatever knowledge that I can whenever I can.  I’ve especially found Tim McCulloch and Debbie Dunkley’s posts to be very helpful.  I apologize if this came across as just another help me pick, I don’t want to be that guy; however I do want to make sure I exhaust all options to get as much information as possible.  I was able to attend a Vue Demo this week, very educational experience but slightly out of my budget, but as a result I was able to network and plan on demoing some Turbosound in person, but unfortunately don’t have that luxury with JBL or Yamaha... yet :)

As for your setup advice, I try to hit all the suggestions you made.  Essentially unpack players and mixer (corresponding cables kept in their road case with the equipment).  All cables are wrapped and velcroed.  Lights can be a challenge, but I can finish that up while the first dj is playing and start prepping tear down just before the last dj finishes.  Setup has proven to be the easy part.  Getting out is the challenge as that is when one of us needs to try and get paid, and we usually have attendees wanting to socialize. 

I appreciate your advice and your feedback. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 10:26:57 PM »

The challenge I have found is that most reviews, suggestions, and experiences seem to be focused on live bands, versus bass heavy electronic stuff.

Is there a specific SPL or frequency that you're trying to achieve?  At least from back in my DJing days, I wouldn't necessarily bring or do anything different for a venue or situation like this.  If you want nausea-inducing bass volume then this might be a different story (and a different budget), but otherwise any of the upper-end MI gear should be sufficient for the application.  What's your budget, and do things like speaker size (for fitting in vehicles) matter?

Essentially unpack players and mixer (corresponding cables kept in their road case with the equipment).  All cables are wrapped and velcroed. 

Is there a way you can case your gear so that all the cables stay attached?  Unpacking and plugging in cables takes me more time than stacking speakers.  My FOH rig is set up so that all you do is add power in and a patch snake coming out - everything is already wired internally to work out of the box - even iPad and MacBook Pro charging.  At the end of the night, pull 5 cables out and covers go on!  My wireless racks are the same way, and you can sometimes do similar things with lighting.  I know this isn't 100% apples to apples, but every little bit helps!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 11:07:44 PM »

The only thing different than all the live sound comments is that you might need more sub. If you had a double 18 sub per side, the tops could go on top of the subs and you save time from setting stands.

Tell them to pay you at load in. You can’t take the evening back if they don’t pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 11:20:16 PM »

I’m currently in the research phase for building out a new Mobile System to be used at a college bar twice a month with focus on bass heavy music (house/techno).  Was hoping to have to make that decision in the spring, but it looks like it might need to be sooner due to personnel changes at the venue. 

I was hoping to get some thoughts or experience with this type of use case (haven’t really found any techno related posts).

Room is the back room of a bar, approximately 30’x40’  Construction consists of cement flooring, brick walls, 10’ ceiling.

I’ve been looking at JBL, Yamaha, and Turbosound.

From a build standpoint they would like this
JBL
2 - SRX812P or SRX815P
2 - SRX818SP

Yamaha
2 - DZR12 or DZR15
2 - DSX18XLF

Turbosound
2 - iq12 or i15
2 - iq18b

I’m not sure about which tops to pick.  I’m a fan of smaller as I think they sound better and will have the proper low end reinforcement.  In addition to sound quality and price, I need to keep in mind the ease of setup and tear down.  I only have an hour to get setup and 30mins to get gear out the door at the end of the night. 

I will be setting up some time to check out Turbosound in person, but unfortunately, don’t really have any one close, that I’m aware of, who would let me have a listen.

Until you see how it goes I would spend the 4k to pickup 4xKW181's to use with your existing rig.  Getting out in half an hour will be tough unless you have 3 guys and it's a straight push out.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 07:33:41 AM »

Is there a specific SPL or frequency that you're trying to achieve?  At least from back in my DJing days, I wouldn't necessarily bring or do anything different for a venue or situation like this.  If you want nausea-inducing bass volume then this might be a different story (and a different budget), but otherwise any of the upper-end MI gear should be sufficient for the application.  What's your budget, and do things like speaker size (for fitting in vehicles) matter?

Is there a way you can case your gear so that all the cables stay attached?  Unpacking and plugging in cables takes me more time than stacking speakers.  My FOH rig is set up so that all you do is add power in and a patch snake coming out - everything is already wired internally to work out of the box - even iPad and MacBook Pro charging.  At the end of the night, pull 5 cables out and covers go on!  My wireless racks are the same way, and you can sometimes do similar things with lighting.  I know this isn't 100% apples to apples, but every little bit helps!

Honestly, no real goal in regards to SPL or Frequency.  Can’t go screaming loud as the dance floor is just a few feet away.  Would like to try and go low, but don’t want to give up sound quality as a result.  Ultimately, I’m trying to keep it around $5-6k for this purchase and should be doable with these three brands. 

I would also like to apologize.  I didn’t realize this was in the lab and not Lounge.  If a moderator would like to move it, please do.

As I am still new to the forums, still figuring out how they operate.   Wish i could find a multiquote option so I could quote/respond to multiple people at the same time.  Rather difficult from my phone.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:52:28 AM by Tom Nisbet »

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 07:48:55 AM »

The only thing different than all the live sound comments is that you might need more sub. If you had a double 18 sub per side, the tops could go on top of the subs and you save time from setting stands.

Tell them to pay you at load in. You can’t take the evening back if they don’t pay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I like the idea of the double 18’s, but I would have to use a stack of two singles on each side to insure they fit in the truck and get down the stairs to the room.

Unfortunately, most of what we make is predicated on the door.  No ticket sales, all walk in business.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 07:48:55 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.