ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Mobile PA Buildout Help  (Read 4649 times)

Tom Nisbet

Re: New Mobile PA Buildout Help
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 08:27:05 PM »

A thought... If super quick rig/strike is a major goal, woukdn't a properly tuned and thought out PASSIVE rig be the way to go...?

In stead of routing signal and power; just roll in a preconfigured rack with mixer, players, dsp/crossower and amps, plug in power, plug one 4 strand speaker cable with speakons to each sub array, and one short cable from there to your top. A bit old school, but hard to beat speedwise. And since you play in the same room every time you don't have to fiddle around with speaker processing once you are dialed in.

Personally, I  would have no issue with a passive system.  My only hesitation is the guys that I am working with on this project and their lack of knowledge/confidence with the PA.

My thought with an active system is that each "stack" would get it's own cable setup with necessary power and speaker cables that way I can grab each cable setup and hook up a stack.  grab the second and hook up my second stack. 

I still move my racks and stacks on a weekly basis. It's not broken so i don't need to fix it ;)

OP, I don't know if i would spend that kind of money into a new system if you are not guaranteed money at the end of the night. If nobody shows up did you just work for free? Do you do other events that can justify this purchase?

Some people would call me stupid, but this is more of a hobby for me than a source of revenue.  I am looking to put together a decent system so me and my friends have a place to share our love of the music with our friends.  If we can make enough to cover our bar tab and break even over the life of the speakers, I'll be happy.

Stairs? How many? I was also going to recommend double 18's, but if stairs are involved I'm not sure there is anything that can strike in 30 minutes.

About 15 stairs and then a hard left 90* turn into the room. 

2-4 Yorkville LS800/LS801/ES18 subs
2 Yamaha DSR112s

This system will sound great for the House/Techno/Hip Hop genres you will be playing. Highs will be loud & clear, the Yorkvilles will knock pictures off of the wall. Keep the Yamahas high passed and the system should be fairly bulletproof as well.
In my opinion the best all around balanced systems for dance music for under $5k, 3k if you can find used.

Thanks Lance.  I'll do a little more research on the Yorkvilles.  Luckily this room could use a little bit of a makeover, so knocking stuff off the walls might be beneficial :evil laugh:

I keep thinking about the Captivator 212 subs.  If it's a short run of stairs you could stack them 2x on a casterboard, hustle them up the stairs one by one, then back on the casterboards.  That probably takes as much time as anything else in the loading.

Definitely make up and bundle cables.  I use siamese cables to my powered speakers.  This might be a case for twinning them or have the passive sub cables bundled together with them.  One run from your rack to the stack.

Walking back and forth is what chews up time.  Either back and forth to the truck or back and forth between the rack and speakers.

I looked at JTR a little bit.  Are their 12's that good? 

Bill Hornibrook

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 08:58:54 PM »

Yes JTRs are all that good - a completely different league than your K-sub.

30' x 40' is only 1200sq'. With  brick walls and concrete floors you really aren't going to need all that much - even for house and techno (which isn't as demanding as hip-hop).

I'm concerned about getting anything up those stairs with the 90 angle. With their Neo drivers, JBL PRX818XLFs are a good 10 pounds lighter than their SRX counterparts (if you are thinking JBL). But I would go with two even in that small space.

Speaking as  a DJ, all you'll need to provide are the cabs plus power and XLR cords for the cabs. We take care of the rest.

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 09:04:50 PM »

Honestly, no real goal in regards to SPL or Frequency.  Can’t go screaming loud as the dance floor is just a few feet away.  Would like to try and go low, but don’t want to give up sound quality as a result.  Ultimately, I’m trying to keep it around $5-6k for this purchase and should be doable with these three brands. 

If you don't have a specific goal with the system other than to just make some music I'd keep it simple and not overthink it.  Yes, doubling up on subs never hurts when it comes to performance, but it will hurt over time when you have to haul twice the number of boxes up and down the stairs!  Given the logistical issues you're also facing with regard to loading time I don't think the extra effort of using 4 subs versus 2 will pay off here, but that's just me. 

I would like to get an actual mixer to help control subs and tops better, that way I’m not reliant on the controls on the back of the boxes.

Generally speaking a mixer doesn't do that unless you're just talking overall control of the system's volume.  Some mixers can do crossovers if you want them to, but this a job better left to a DSP or even a basic dedicated crossover.  Having a dedicated DSP helps to protect against controls or presets on a mixer being accidentally adjusted and killing speakers as a result.  You also don't need any special types of speakers (with or without networking) or computers to do this.  The capabilities built into some speakers can replace a DSP all together, but it's not mandatory to use them even if you have them.

I certainly won't judge how you invest money into hobbies, but if I only get paid based on people walking in the door I'd be the first one walking out the door!  Donating free labor and equipment will only set you up for a no-win situation in the long run, especially if gear needs repairs of any type.  Do you have insurance?  What happens if you drop a speaker down the stairs and through a wall?  What happens if guest DJ kills a sub?  Who's paying for the new driver?  You are.  I personally wouldn't be taking that kind of gamble with no guarantee of pay to begin with.  That's just me, but best of luck with the adventure!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2018, 11:24:33 PM »

An odd thought (ya, it happens)

Any chance you could store the big parts of the rig at the venue?

What is the venue anyway?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tom Nisbet

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 07:10:43 AM »

An odd thought (ya, it happens)

Any chance you could store the big parts of the rig at the venue?

What is the venue anyway?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Rob,  I don’t think I’d be able to store anything there.  Would be nice if I could. 

It’s a small little college bar in Providence over by Johnson & Wales.  He does open format in his “main room” and realized he could make a couple extra bucks at the bar if he had two rooms.  We have our own entrance/exit but no bar in that room. 

Lance Hallmark

• Tampa Bay, FL
    • Hallmark Events & Entertainment
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

Personally, I  would have no issue with a passive system.  My only hesitation is the guys that I am working with on this project and their lack of knowledge/confidence with the PA.

My thought with an active system is that each "stack" would get it's own cable setup with necessary power and speaker cables that way I can grab each cable setup and hook up a stack.  grab the second and hook up my second stack. 

Some people would call me stupid, but this is more of a hobby for me than a source of revenue.  I am looking to put together a decent system so me and my friends have a place to share our love of the music with our friends.  If we can make enough to cover our bar tab and break even over the life of the speakers, I'll be happy.

About 15 stairs and then a hard left 90* turn into the room. 

Thanks Lance.  I'll do a little more research on the Yorkvilles.  Luckily this room could use a little bit of a makeover, so knocking stuff off the walls might be beneficial :evil laugh:

I looked at JTR a little bit.  Are their 12's that good?

The other, probably most important element of the system I recommended is it's bulletproof ability. DJs are notorious for running things too hot and blowing up gear. As long as you keep them out of the red on the mixer the Yorkville/Yamaha rig should give you no trouble for years. Room is only 1200 sf? You should be good to start with 2 subs & 2 tops and then add as needed of the York/Yam setup. A lot of other subs don't have the output they do so you might need 4 from the start.

The JTR gear is great sound quality wise, I also have a JTR Orbit Shifter/Noesis 3 TX rig. It's a passive rig, so if not properly configured you can overheat the subs and blow the drivers in a fairly short amount of time. The active subs have most of that figured out for you and at least give you warnings to back off before damage occurs. My last show, a Sweet 16 with Soulja Boy performing, I used 6 Yorkvilles and one pair of the Noesis 3TX tops to cover 6-800 people in a 10,000 sf room
----------------------------------------------------
Lance Hallmark
Hallmark Events & Entertainment
Chamsys, Crown, Danley, EV, JTR, Powersoft, Yamaha

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 03:38:20 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.