ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What impressive gear has been released recently?  (Read 14541 times)

Scott Bolt

What impressive gear has been released recently?
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:35:56 PM »

About 7 years ago (ish) a massive wave of new equipment hit the market .... seemingly from every OEM.  What new stuff has impressed us recently?

For me:

Speakers:
SRX Powered Speakers:  The good .... well, they sound outstanding.  The bad, a bit heavy, bulkier, and pricier ... but lets say "worth it".

Yamaha DZR line:  Still waiting to hear myself.  Sounds promising from early reports though.  I think we are all waiting for the inevitable DSR comparison ;)

RCF Art 745a:  Really quite the sleeper.  Not as much noise on these, but they reportedly sound fantastic, are based on the same design as the NX series, and are feather light.  I am still considering asking Sean for a shootout with my DSR's despite the 4 hour drive it would cost me to do it ;)

Mixers:

Soundcraft Ui24:  After some critical issues in the initial release of the Ui16 and 12, Soundcraft really hit this one out of the park IMO.  Again, would love to A/B this guy with my X32 Rack.

SQ Mixers:  I have yet to hear one, but I can't say this one excited me that much since it is still a bit on the raw side (and a bit pricey compared to other mixers).  Still, the allure of 96K and DLive processing .... hmm.

What are we looking forward to?

It is been such a long time since the X32 was released, and quite a long time since any firmware updates have been released.  It really looks like we should be expecting something from Behringer/MIDAS soon considering their obsession with announcing things a year or more before release.

What are your recent favorites, and what are you looking forward to?

Simon_Barrett

Re: What impressive gear has been released recently?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 02:40:52 PM »

The KV2 Audio speakers are outstanding...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 03:06:34 PM »

I can't really comment on my recent favorites.
As to the future, I want Behringer (or someone) to completely separate the control surface from the input-preamp-processors-output. Something like an X32 that has all the faders knobs and buttons, but no XLR-TRS inputs or preamps, that connects to an x32 rack on stage via a network cable.
Then have multiple options for each. Control surface options of 4, 8, 16, 32 faders, and stage box options of 4, 8, 16, 32 inputs and 2, 4, 8, maybe more outputs. Perhaps even the ability to daisy chain either the control surfaces and the In-Out stage boxes.

All this compatible with their P16 monitor devices.

I know that an option (available now) is using a tablet-computer as the control surface, but I personally still want a physical surface.

When all that is available, I would end up purchasing 2 stage boxes and 2 control surfaces, a large and small version of each. The small would serve as the emergency backup, and also double as the preferred unit for smaller or limited space gigs.

I have personally considered getting an X-someNumber rack and just using a p16 to control the mains for gigs with very limited space.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 07:08:55 PM »

As to the future, I want Behringer (or someone) to completely separate the control surface from the input-preamp-processors-output. Something like an X32 that has all the faders knobs and buttons, but no XLR-TRS inputs or preamps, that connects to an x32 rack on stage via a network cable.
Then have multiple options for each. Control surface options of 4, 8, 16, 32 faders, and stage box options of 4, 8, 16, 32 inputs and 2, 4, 8, maybe more outputs. Perhaps even the ability to daisy chain either the control surfaces and the In-Out stage boxes.

You mean the A&H dLive (or iLive, for that matter)?

-Russ

Jay Marr

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:08:15 PM »

About 7 years ago (ish) a massive wave of new equipment hit the market .... seemingly from every OEM.  What new stuff has impressed us recently?

For me:

Speakers:
SRX Powered Speakers:  The good .... well, they sound outstanding.  The bad, a bit heavy, bulkier, and pricier ... but lets say "worth it".

Yamaha DZR line:  Still waiting to hear myself.  Sounds promising from early reports though.  I think we are all waiting for the inevitable DSR comparison ;)

RCF Art 745a:  Really quite the sleeper.  Not as much noise on these, but they reportedly sound fantastic, are based on the same design as the NX series, and are feather light.  I am still considering asking Sean for a shootout with my DSR's despite the 4 hour drive it would cost me to do it ;)

Mixers:

Soundcraft Ui24:  After some critical issues in the initial release of the Ui16 and 12, Soundcraft really hit this one out of the park IMO.  Again, would love to A/B this guy with my X32 Rack.

SQ Mixers:  I have yet to hear one, but I can't say this one excited me that much since it is still a bit on the raw side (and a bit pricey compared to other mixers).  Still, the allure of 96K and DLive processing .... hmm.

What are we looking forward to?

It is been such a long time since the X32 was released, and quite a long time since any firmware updates have been released.  It really looks like we should be expecting something from Behringer/MIDAS soon considering their obsession with announcing things a year or more before release.

What are your recent favorites, and what are you looking forward to?

Where do you live?  I have a x32 and would love to compare to the UI24.  I'm in Boston.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 09:23:38 PM »

You mean the A&H dLive (or iLive, for that matter)?

-Russ
Yes, but with smaller options.
I guess it doesn't hurt to have 6 xlr in and 6 xlr out built into the control surface, but that just makes the unit cost more.
I want both a larger control surface that I use when I can, and a smaller control surface that I use when there is no room for the larger one. For the stage box part I typically don't need more than 12 inputs. I could get 2 of those and combine to have 24 when I might really need more, but alas, DLive has nothing smaller than 32 for the stage part.

If DLive really made what I want, it would be 2 control surfaces: 1 with 12 faders, and the other with 4 or 6 faders, plus a 12 in 6 out box on the stage, that could be combined when needed. (I would get 2 of those) (Plus the personal monitor mixers that they already have)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 08:09:21 AM »

In terms of sheer impressiveness, I think Powersoft's X8 has to be up there. 8x 5200w into 2ohm, pretty much any mains supply (single or 3-phase, any voltage), plus the rather nice processing. It's not cheap, but damn, it's a nice piece of kit.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »

In terms of sheer impressiveness, I think Powersoft's X8 has to be up there. 8x 5200w into 2ohm, pretty much any mains supply (single or 3-phase, any voltage), plus the rather nice processing. It's not cheap, but damn, it's a nice piece of kit.

Chris

+1
Really nice package.

On the other end of the scale, the new Neutrik D-size speakon chassis connectors with screw type terminals.
No more soldering of speaker cables inside a rack during installation.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 08:56:43 AM »

The neutrik silent 1/4" are another cool innovation.

Shure axient?

Qsys is making waves...
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »

The neutrik silent 1/4" are another cool innovation.

Shure DIGITAL axient?

Qsys is making waves...

fixed it for you.  :)
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 09:32:28 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.