ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: What impressive gear has been released recently?  (Read 14542 times)

Richard Penrose

Re: What impressive gear has been released recently?
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »

RCF already had an upgraded version of the 745a on the market. The NX 45-A is nearly identical, but with a wooden cabinet and a few minor tweaks. I reviewed them here if you care to know more. https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,168797.0.html

It too doesn't have RDNet, but that's ok. My speaker mgt system already has something very similar built-in.

Yes the NX45'a looks like a great speaker but the deal breakers for me are the lack of HPF for use with subs and the extra weight.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2018, 07:38:43 PM »

Yes the NX45'a looks like a great speaker but the deal breakers for me are the lack of HPF for use with subs and the extra weight.

A bit on the heavy side for sure; however, I think the $1800.00 USD price tag is what would keep the majority of bar bands from purchasing them.

As for touring?  Might be very attractive.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2018, 02:14:58 AM »

I think each self powered speaker should have processing to extract the band pass it needs and not be dependent on another speaker.

Seems JBL puts the crossover in the subs to try and make you buy matching subs & tops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »

I think each self powered speaker should have processing to extract the band pass it needs and not be dependent on another speaker.

Agree 1000%

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2018, 12:08:20 PM »

Seems JBL puts the crossover in the subs to try and make you buy matching subs & tops.

I wouldn't put much faith in mixing the crossovers between brands/lines.  When you use "matching subs and tops" you are at least using what (presumably) the engineering team intended.  When you grab brand A top and Brand B bottom you might get lucky and find that they combine well but I wouldn't expect it to be optimal.  Except for combat audio, I prefer much more control over things like crossovers and system EQ.  Namely, a separate DSP that I painstakingly dialed in.  Besides, who's NOT using aux fed subs these days?   ;D

Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »

Besides, who's NOT using aux fed subs these days?   ;D

I'm not (not that that means anything...).

Otherwise, agree with your point about mixing components (again, not that that means anything  ;) ).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2018, 12:33:08 PM »

Besides, who's NOT using aux fed subs these days?   ;D

Yep,............ and how do you use aux fed subs, if your main's signal is coming from a crossover built into the sub ?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:15:20 PM by Mark Wilkinson »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2018, 12:35:33 PM »

I prefer much more control over things like crossovers and system EQ.  Namely, a separate DSP that I painstakingly dialed in.  Besides, who's NOT using aux fed subs these days?   ;D

For sure.  Why cheap out and only use a few pieces of a system when you can use a full system?  A DSP won't break the bank.  Yes you'll need to learn how to align a system, but isn't that part of audio?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2018, 12:40:56 PM »

For sure.  Why cheap out and only use a few pieces of a system when you can use a full system?  A DSP won't break the bank.  Yes you'll need to learn how to align a system, but isn't that part of audio?

I would venture to guess that 98% of the people setting up this type of gear have no idea how to properly align it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2018, 07:56:36 PM »

I would venture to guess that 98% of the people setting up this type of gear have no idea how to properly align it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
True, which is the root problem. 

Scale of 1 to 10, not linear but you get the point-
1- can twist knobs
2- owns part of a system
3- can hear
6- owns a complete system
10- owns a complete system, knows how to deploy it, knows how to deliver a great mix, knows how to make money

Owning a good DSP (check out the Xilica QR) will hopefully lead to learning more about how to deploy the system better.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2018, 07:56:36 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.