ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: SC-48 limiter question  (Read 1052 times)

Mark Wilkinson

SC-48 limiter question
« on: October 11, 2018, 12:15:59 PM »

Yet another limiter question.... Nathan, I didn't want to contaminate your current peak to rms thread
because this one specifically applies to the SC-48's thermal limiter's Attack and Release settings.

First, thanks to David for showing scope roll-mode on the other thread.
Picts below are a Thermal 'tmax' (RMS) limiter setting, and what the scope showed for attack and release times.

Release isn't behaving as expected, expectations being that release time is the multiple of whatever the attack time setting is...
So, in the screen shot below, I'm thinking release time should be about 10sec  (3.02s attack, 3.3X release).  Correct?

On the scope shot, each division is 1sec.
I turn on a signal that will output above threshold, and you can see the attack start kicking in at about 1.3 sec.
And that limiting is nearly fully engaged by the time of the 3.02s setting... Attack seems right with a smooth initiation.

Then, seeing limiting fully engaged, I instantaneously drop the signal to below threshold.
You can see it takes about 3s to fully ramp back up to the new lower signal level.
Why not 10 seconds???

Many thx, Mark

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: SC-48 limiter question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:31:50 PM »

Yet another limiter question.... Nathan, I didn't want to contaminate your current peak to rms thread
because this one specifically applies to the SC-48's thermal limiter's Attack and Release settings.

First, thanks to David for showing scope roll-mode on the other thread.
Picts below are a Thermal 'tmax' (RMS) limiter setting, and what the scope showed for attack and release times.

Release isn't behaving as expected, expectations being that release time is the multiple of whatever the attack time setting is...
So, in the screen shot below, I'm thinking release time should be about 10sec  (3.02s attack, 3.3X release).  Correct?

On the scope shot, each division is 1sec.
I turn on a signal that will output above threshold, and you can see the attack start kicking in at about 1.3 sec.
And that limiting is nearly fully engaged by the time of the 3.02s setting... Attack seems right with a smooth initiation.

Then, seeing limiting fully engaged, I instantaneously drop the signal to below threshold.
You can see it takes about 3s to fully ramp back up to the new lower signal level.
Why not 10 seconds???

Many thx, Mark

Really looks like a bug you've found. seems like its more like 3.3s release than a 3.3 * attack release.

Maybe it is a 'smart' release that takes into account how far below/above the threshold the signal is to determine how quickly the release operates?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:34:19 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: SC-48 limiter question
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 02:31:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 25 queries.