ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sennheiser ew 300-500 g4 Receivers - Pilot Tone and Squelch  (Read 2766 times)

Dave.Smith

Sennheiser ew 300-500 g4 Receivers - Pilot Tone and Squelch
« on: September 22, 2018, 11:33:27 AM »

I recently installed several of these receivers.  I have user the latest version of WSM for frequency coordination and all looks good.  However, one of my locations has some strange localized RF interference.  When I first powered on the two receivers, I get an immediate RF indication close to -20 dB.  I also get a high level of AF due to  typical FM noise (white).  The Pilot tone is active.  The only way I can eliminate the AF noise is to raise the squelch level above the RF noise.

Why isn't the lack of a pilot tone preventing the AF from getting through?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 02:44:47 PM by Dave.Smith »

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Sennheiser ew 300-500 g4 Receivers - Pilot Tone and Squelch
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »

I recently installed several of these receivers.  I have user the latest version of WSM for frequency coordination and all looks good.  However, one of my locations has some strange localized RF interference.  When I first powered on the two receivers, I get an immediate RF indication close to -20 dB.  I also get a high level of AF due to  typical FM noise (white).  The Pilot tone is active.  The only way I can eliminate the AF noise is to raise the squelch level above the RF noise.

The broadband audio noise present in the RF signal you're tuned to, or within the carrier bandwidth of, happens to have the frequency comprising the pilot (likely 19.2kHz or 32kHz), and thus opening the audio squelch.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Dave.Smith

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 03:50:59 PM »

The broadband audio noise present in the RF signal you're tuned to, or within the carrier bandwidth of, happens to have the frequency comprising the pilot (likely 19.2kHz or 32kHz), and thus opening the audio squelch.

Possible.  As it is localized to my Production desk and it goes away when I power down via a three step sequencer, I plan to crawl under the desk and pull power on each component one-by-one until identified.  I just need someone to watch the RF meters while I do my thing under the desk.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 05:47:59 PM »

...I just need someone to watch the RF meters while I do my thing under the desk.
If you’ve got WSM installed, why not network them real quick and monitor RF that way.

Haven’t used these versions in these models, but can you use the receivers to do an RF scan? Might be able to give you more of an idea of where to look.
--Airport Circle Sound Reinforcement, LLC--

Dave.Smith

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:06 PM »

If you’ve got WSM installed, why not network them real quick and monitor RF that way.

Haven’t used these versions in these models, but can you use the receivers to do an RF scan? Might be able to give you more of an idea of where to look.

I think it is a bad power supply (wall wart) or other component on my Production room.  The RF noise is not present anywhere else.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 07:58:40 PM »

If it is near an HDMI line it can cause issues too.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 07:40:51 PM »

If it is near an HDMI line it can cause issues too.

Some HDMI CAT5 baluns can put out a lot broadband RF off of the CAT 5 cable.

Had a church with about the same problem you are having, the wireless receivers were a couple feet away from a bunch of HDMI baluns and equipment.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

I’ve had this problem with every generation of Sennheiser 300-series mics I’ve used.  Their default squelch setting is too low.  I’ve never had this issue with Shure products of any generation or price level.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 12:26:49 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.